Build progress from a long time lurker

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Build progress from a long time lurker

Postby paddlehead » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:41 pm

Started building sometime last October. Original plan was to build something similar to Rick Keller's Road Toad, then we saw Camp Inn's new Rain Drop. We loved the Rain Drop's appearance and the possibilities it offered for more windows, so changed plans and decided to do a rip off of the Rain Drop, although with sandwich construction like the Road Toad.

Size is 5' x 10'. Frame is 1/8" x 2" angle, with combination square tube and angle tongue. Axle is Flexride, with same wheels / tires as our Honda CR-V, so no other spare required. Floor is sandwich of 1/4" ply top and bottom with 3/4" Foamular insulation between. Side walls are sandwich of 1/4" ply outside, 1/8" ply inside and 3/4" Foamular. Front is sandwich of 1/8" ply inside and out with 1 1/2" of Foamular between. Roof will be the same, i.e, 1/8" ply x 1 1/2" Foamular x 1/8" ply.

We decided to put a baggage compartment between lower part of galley and cabin (about 10 - 12 cubic feet). It extends across width of trailer for long items like paddles and pop up rain shelter. It's accessable from outside via two baggage doors and from inside by two small doors at foot of cabin.

Lots of lights (all 12 volt) - reading lights, wall sconces and track lighting in main cabin. Plan also to install track lighting in galley area.

Rear end has about 2' radius on top and is vertical on bottom half, as we didn't want to bang our knees while using the counter. Galley has slide outs for stove and cooler, and space for combination microwave / convection oven. Water system will be a 5 gallon jug. Electrical system access will be from galley. Plan not finalized, but propane tank will likely sit on tongue and battery will go behind water jug in the galley.

Just finshed installing inner ceiling skin and most of the roof spars today.
Here are views from outside and inside, if I've done this correctly. More build pictures in the album.

Still have a ways to go, but if it weren't for this forum there is no way I could have made it this far without a lot of serious mistakes!!!

Don

edit...fixed your pic for ya....MJ
paddlehead
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:46 pm

Don....Wow!!!! that really looks great!!! What have you got figured out for the curved window....got a manufactured one in mind or are you going to do lexan? Great job on the build....it appears that your "lurking' time has paid off!! :thumbsup: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:53 pm

:applause: :applause: :applause: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Boy, that is really cool.

Was the curved front hard to do?

Miriam
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby mikeschn » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:53 pm

Don,

I'm impressed. It looks really good. So you did this raindrop format just for the extra windows??? :? You don't have bunks in there for the kids or anything like that?

Gee with all that extra space you could do a mini dinette up front there... or even a bathroom... (okay forget the bathroom, you got too many windows up front there...)

So what are you doing with all that extra space?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby stedi » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:06 pm

i'll second that... :applause: :thumbsup:

steve
the government does not produce one single bushel of corn, one single barrel of oil, or one unit of any other commodity. the only way it obtains the money that it awards to its chosen recipients is by taking it from others who earned it. this is called "voluntary taxation".
stedi
Teardrop Builder

Re: Build progress from a long time lurker

Postby sdtripper2 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:07 pm

paddlehead wrote:Axle is Flexride, with same wheels / tires as our Honda CR-V, so no other spare required.

PaddleHead:

Do like this feature of matching your wheels to the Honda CRV. :thumbsup:

You do have space to have options inside for sure.

I have a Honda 97 CRV ... May I ask you what year is yours and have
you made sure the weight issues and tounge issues are met and
within specifications for your CRV to pull safely?

:thinking:
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby paddlehead » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:21 pm

Doug,

Plan to install 3/16" or 1/4" plexiglas. According to Cary at Camp Inn, they just bake it for a while and lay it on a form. I found additional information on forming plexigas on the web. Can't remember the details, but I have the directions printed out somewhere. The main idea is laying the plexiglas on a form covered with flannel or other soft cloth and heating it at about 275 - 300°F for about 10 minutes or until it gets soft and bendy. We have some two piece gasket material to lock it into place.
Window areas have two layers of 1/8" ply, so are 1/4" thick plus plan to have .025 or .032 aluminum skin on outside.

Miriam,

The curved front was surprisingly easy. I fretted over it a lot, but the doing turned out to be quite simple. I used 1/8" birch, which will easily bend to a much tighter radius than I used (18"). Did a test fit to find the window position, cut out the windows and then glued and nailed it on with small electric brad gun. Was planning to put on two layers of 1/8", but after the test fit, decided one was sufficient. With the 1 1/2" sandwich construction in front, it is really quite strong. Assume aluminum skin will help prevent punctures from flying rocks.

Mike,

We just thought the Rain Drop style provided more space up front. Thought about all sorts of ways to use it, then decided we could easily put our heads up in that space while sleeping and we could use the extra space between the cabin and galley for storage. The plan is to build the mattress in sections so we can stack a couple sections of mattress in the front alcove to sit on plus a few pillows to lean on and use it for a little reading alcove in inclement weather.
paddlehead
Donating Member

Postby paddlehead » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:26 pm

Steve,

We have a 2004 CR-V, which is rated to tow a 1500# load. Have installed a Curtis hitch which is rated at 2000# and 150# tongue weight. At this stage the trailer weighs about 850#, expect it to come in well under 1200#, so should have a little wiggle room on the towing capacity.

Don
paddlehead
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:30 pm

Paddlehead...just my opinion...worked in the sign industry for a lot of years...stick with the lexan...30X more impact resistant than the plex...check out any of the polycarb web sites on specs....the only drawback is that because it has a water molecule in it, it will tend to want to expand and contract with temps, but you don't have a large enough piece for it to really be a problem for your use...and if it is in lexan...I'd be willing to bet that you can just bend it for what you want...lexan/poly can be put in a break and put a 90 degree bend on it, without breaking...plex can't.......either way, sounds like you got it covered... :thumbsup: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby sdtripper2 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:47 pm

Don:
The 2004 CRV has more oof-ta than my 97, so you most likely will have all under control.

The wheel base looks right and as you describe your galley there should be weight balance
But with all that space uP front you might be tempted to put heavy stuff
uP front of the Tear and then propane tank and maybe box?
Wonder if the Tounge weight 150# might be close to max then?
:thinking:
As you can see from Campinn their Raindrop goes from 150-185# http://home.centurytel.net/edevold/spec.htm
So it might be someting to keep in mind eh Don?

Like your attention to molding of windows... :)
I am sure there will be some that will want to see the pics of that procedure.

What will your skin be on the rig?
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby bledsoe3 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:54 am

Wow, The first Raindrop clone. Looks great! Keep the pictures coming.
Jim
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby jdarkoregon » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:11 am

Too Cool! Nice job and well thought out. See you on the road one of these days
:applause: :applause: :applause:
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby TomS » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:34 am

I'm impressed. :thumbsup: Great job!
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby toypusher » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:20 am

Everything they already said above! Very nice! Can hardly wait to see it finished! :applause:
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Loader » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:05 am

WOW! Very nice. :thumbsup:
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Next

Return to General Discussion