What is your Galley counter top Height?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

What is your Galley counter top Height?

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:10 am

In a normal kitchen the standard height for the counter top is 36". From the ground with my tear level 36" gives me only 12 ½ " under the counter to plan my lowers. I really like the Outback Stainless Steel Stove/Oven but it comes in at 16" tall and I would need 17" for a tray & hardware. My question is to the cooks, would a 40 ½ " counter top be too high for camp cooking? I don't think many campers would be rolling out dough etc to need a 36" counter top or would they?. My wife is 5' 2" and that in it's self is a consideration. We have agreed that we will have a continious top with no breaks in height, it's already built and waiting to be installed.:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:44 am

Danny,
I am 5'4" and trying to get 30 in tops. 36" is good most of the time but if I have a large pot it is annoying. I also figured I couldn't reach the back if I made it too tall and deep. :roll:

Will the stove be under the counter and pull out?

Miriam
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:26 pm

Miriam C. wrote:Danny,
I am 5'4" and trying to get 30 in tops. 36" is good most of the time but if I have a large pot it is annoying. I also figured I couldn't reach the back if I made it too tall and deep. :roll:

Will the stove be under the counter and pull out?

Miriam

Yes the stove/oven would be under the counter with a pull out tray and there wouldn't be anything else in that area. I was thinking of making two drawers with doors adjacent to it with a one door wide bread board below the drawers at 36" and at the opposite end to the stove/oven. At the proposed height the counter top would be only 22" deep before upper cabinets. I'll probably make the uppers about 6" deep leaving about 16" of counter top. The whole problem arises from a roll pan on the tear that consumes 4 ½" before the cabinet doors. The roll pan is a nice appearance feature but makes planning the galley challenging. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Sonetpro » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:38 pm

My countertop is 40" with a pull out stove underneath. It makes the top of the stove 36". My wife likes the 40" countertop but we are both 6" tall.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby Nitetimes » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 pm

Sonetpro wrote:My countertop is 40" .... .... but we are both 6" tall.

Must be a sight watching you work off of that ladder :lol: :lol: :lol:

I determined mine from what was comfortable for my wife also. I think I only have 14 +- inches under the counter top.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby JIML1943 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:45 pm

I think mine ended up 38". It's 22" above floor. room for fridge, cooktop in the drawer on the right. The wife Barbara is 5'6" tall she has no problem with counter top being to high. have a look in my build pics{shakedown cruise} she's washing dishes.

:thumbsup:
Last edited by JIML1943 on Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some days all you can do is smile and wait for some kind soul to come along and pull your ass out the bind you've gotten yourself into.

Happy camping Jim & Barbara
JIML1943
Teardrop Master

Postby asianflava » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:55 pm

Heh heh heh, It depends on where it's parked. :lol:
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Chip » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:15 pm

On the wheels and not up on jacks the lower counter is 33" and the second galley counter is 39 1/2",, It just turned ut that way,,,,

chipper :thumbsup:
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby 48Rob » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:06 pm

Mine is just right for me...

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby madjack » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:42 pm

..I am not exactly sure at the moment but I believe it it is just about this high... :roll: :lol: ;) ......... 8)
p.s.....you mean you can't see my hand :thinking:
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

counter height

Postby oklahomajewel » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:07 pm

Mine is/well, the supports right now are... about 19" from the wood floor. That comes about to my waist. Then I measured from the floor I was standing on to my waist and it's about 38" .... so it seems like a good height for me. I guess everybody's is a bit different depending on your trailer frame/wheels, etc.

I figured if it turned out to be just a little high or a little low it wouldn't be the end of the world, as long as my ice chest fits under there I'm happy.
For a campout, it's not like I'm going to be standing there doing a TON of prep work or cooking.
My Coleman cooler is about 15" high so I left myself a few inches for the slideout etc.

BTW... happy me! Gorgeous spring day in OKC and I have my doors cut out and almost all the supports are on ... WOOHOO!! Sides up tomorrow !!!

julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:34 pm

My counter top in both tears is 37" stove height is about 35, on a slider, but I also have a wing table that is adjustable height, from table to counter height, and will mount on either side of the tear with 2 mounting directions, 90 degrees apart...gathered up all sorts of ideas in Minden and on other outings...the drawback for me is that with the Kuffel Creek design, the counter top is set back in a ways...I've got it as far out as I can get it...works for me though, i'm 6'2" Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Re: counter height

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:09 pm

oklahomajewel wrote:I figured if it turned out to be just a little high or a little low it wouldn't be the end of the world, as long as my ice chest fits under there I'm happy.
For a campout, it's not like I'm going to be standing there doing a TON of prep work or cooking.
My Coleman cooler is about 15" high so I left myself a few inches for the slideout etc. julie

Thanks Julie, This is what I have to convince my wife of when she returns from Savannah next week. 8) Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby bledsoe3 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:55 pm

39". Just slightly higher than those in my house.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Chip » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:56 pm

Julie,,, where are the dang pictures,, you gonna have to go to the time out shed if ya dont soon take some pics,,

chipper :lol:
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques