Build journal for 6.5' X 10' TTT

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Build journal for 6.5' X 10' TTT

Postby aggie79 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:37 pm

Very, very nice! The bathroom looks spacious. I know you've changed to a porta-potty but your bathroom arrangement is something I would like to incorporate in my next build. I can't wait to see the interior progress.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby mustangcats » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:40 pm

Today the 12 volt rocker switches arrived in the mail, so I spent the evening completing most of the wiring at the converter box. Once I had the switches installed and the 110 volts wired to the converter box, it was time to plug it in. None of my 12 volt lights worked and that had me puzzled. I checked to see if it was putting out any dc, so I hooked up my meter and it showed it was putting out dc power. Then it suddenly occured to me that I hadn't run the ground wires back to the the box, so I did that and when I plugged it back in...the lights worked :applause: By then it was getting late, so tomorrow I will hook up my 110 volt outlets to the box and test them. I will have a circuit for the water heater, refrigerator and an outlet at the kitchen counter. The 3 piece 7" memory foam bed set is in place and is very comfortable. Tomorrow I will also install the surround material for the shower/tub and may be able to test the plumbing (still need to get the faucet for the kitchen sink). This has been quite a project and fortunately it is close to being ready enough to use. I still intend to take it on a trial camping trip to a nearby park tomorrow night to test it out, even though everything may not be working.
mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Postby mustangcats » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:19 am

Yesterday was a productive day and I was able to get a lot of things done. I finished up the electrical wiring and everything works. Put a sink in the kitchen, put the surround material around the bathtub and finished the plumbing. All I need to do is put water in the tank and test for leaks. Now that all the hard work is done, I need to work on the finishing details such as curtains for the windows, trim around counters and walls to cover the gaps, install floor tile and carpet, etc. I also need to put some drawers and storage under the kitchen counter as well as make other storage in the bathroom, under the bed, etc.

And now for some much promised :pictures:
Attachments
DSC04550.JPG
Bathtub/shower with surround installed.
DSC04550.JPG (56.13 KiB) Viewed 1655 times
DSC04545.JPG
Plumbing under the sink. Haven't tested for leaks yet.
DSC04545.JPG (60.57 KiB) Viewed 1655 times
DSC04544.JPG
Bedroom with the bed in place.
DSC04544.JPG (57.55 KiB) Viewed 1655 times
Last edited by mustangcats on Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Postby mustangcats » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:24 am

More pictures (since I can only upload 3 at a time).
Attachments
DSC04554.JPG
4' kitchen counter. I like lots of counter space and have found you can never have too much!
DSC04554.JPG (58.11 KiB) Viewed 1655 times
DSC04553.JPG
Refrigerator with separate freezer. Works much better than those tiny dorm refrigerators and their worthless freezer compartments.
DSC04553.JPG (57.24 KiB) Viewed 1655 times
DSC04551.JPG
Bathroom sink. I used the surround material for the top.
DSC04551.JPG (58.33 KiB) Viewed 1655 times
mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Postby mustangcats » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:01 pm

After spending about 3 months building my TTT, it was finally ready enough to take its maiden voyage to Glacier National Park in Montana. I was not sure what to expect since I hadn't towed it but just a few miles. I'm happy to say that the trip went "without a hitch". :D I traveled a total of 3536 miles (2881 of those miles actually towing the trailer) and it pulled nicely except my V6 Dodge Dakota is a little underpowered to handle the mountain passes and steep hills without losing speed. A V8 would have been nice, but for my day to day needs it is unnecessary. Most of my time was spent camping in the primitive Flathead National Forest Devil Lake campground. My onboard marine battery supplied the necessary power for the lights and pump so I could take cold showers. On the way out and back home I did stay at a couple of campgrounds that had electric and then I was able to run the refrigerator and recharge all my battery devices. I have to admit it was a little scary being so far from home, pulling a new trailer that had not been been thoroughly tested. I encountered a lot of rough and bumpy highways and the trailer did not fall apart, so I am confident that it is as roadworthy as any commercially made travel trailer. By not having the inside completely finished, I now have thought of things that I would like to have in the way of storage and other ways to make the most use of the limited amount of space while also adding some more convenience features. Now that my vacation is out of the way, I can spend the coming months at a more leisurely pace as I finish the interior and dress up the exterior (it is too plain looking and needs some stripes or decals). I want to try and make it look not so homemade. I am looking forward to taking it on another trip, but one that is closer to home.
mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Postby mustangcats » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:24 pm

I am putting the finishing touches on my trailer and should have it done by the time I head for Yellowstone at the end of July. I tore out the bed frame I made last year and have replaced it with a dinette. Now I have a table to eat off of and a place to sit other than the bed. I have also put in a cargo door so I can slide a small air conditioner in and out of the trailer.When the air conditioner is not in use, it sits on a shelf above the refrigerator. When I want to use the air conditioner, all I have to do is open the cargo door and slide the air conditioner through it.

mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Postby mustangcats » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:09 pm

Here are some more pictures of my trailer nearing completion. I mainly have trim and finish work yet to do. Click on each picture to make it bigger.108975 The tv and stereo

108974 Outside looking in at the kitchen. I still need to sand and varnish the lower cabinets

108973 Refrigerator with air conditioner on top. The ac slides out through a cargo door when needed.

108972 Dinette. I still need to make some "real" curtains

108971 Bathroom vanity and medicine cabinet

108970 Looking through bathroom door from kitchen. I cut a hole in the wasted space in the wall and made a small
closet to hang clothes.
mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Postby Dschroeder83 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:17 pm

Really neat trailer! Thinking about something this sized for our second build. Saw you're in IA, Lincoln Nebraska here.
Dschroeder83
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Build Journals