Heirloom folding saw horses

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby eamarquardt » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:42 pm

If you added a short chain on each end going from one leg to the other, to keep the legs from spreading as weight is piled on, the stress on the leg to cross member fastening will be greatly reduced. That joint looks like a weak spot to me and the chains would prevent that spot from being stressed.

It's a neat design. Easier to set up than my factory made steel sawhorses.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby dganesh » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:50 pm

Thanks GunFax!

That makes sense now. The design is pretty nifty! :thumbsup:

I kept expecting the top boards to stay closed when collapsed, but now realize that the top part would be in an open jaw position when the legs are collapsed. Now that I actually understand, let's see if I can make it.
dganesh
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Heirloom folding saw horses

Postby vwbeamer » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:05 pm

made a set, I used a 4 foot long piano hinge and of course made mine 4 foot wide.

Pretty neat and easier to store.
vwbeamer
Teardrop Master

Postby E. Aaron Scott » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:38 am

Very nice. I have a pair of folding saw horses that I inherited from my wife's grandfather. They are difficult to describe but the top is a channel made out of 1X4's. Then the legs collapse and fold up inside of the channel making them very easy to transport and store. I don't use them though because he made them around 1920 but the are still pretty sturdy and well taken care of.
-Aaron KF5VBV
E. Aaron Scott
Teardrop Builder

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:28 am

E. Aaron Scott wrote:Very nice. I have a pair of folding saw horses that I inherited from my wife's grandfather. They are difficult to describe but the top is a channel made out of 1X4's. Then the legs collapse and fold up inside of the channel making them very easy to transport and store. I don't use them though because he made them around 1920 but the are still pretty sturdy and well taken care of.

A picture or two would be nice. :D
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby NightCap » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:57 pm

I like this design. Thanks!
#1 - 100% Done #2 - 100% Done Thinking about #3
NightCap
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby grantstew8 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:43 am

Great design! :thumbsup:

This post reminded me of a similar project shown on youtube "wood working for mere mortals" and although some of the woodwork for the workshop is not pretty, it's functional.
Here is the link and he does the ad for the workgear... made me laugh out loud. http://youtu.be/DCkPoTCoTqo
grantstew8
The 300 Club

Postby VijayGupta » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:02 pm

Here's a good set of options http://www.familyhandyman.com/carpentry ... s/view-all

Mine are like "Ken's Favorites" and I think I built them in 1976 and still use them regularly. And no wobble at all, that I noted as a problem with Steve's old ones (WWMM). I even have some red paint on them from prior work.
VijayGupta
Teardrop Master

Postby bensgreentrain » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:22 am

This is one post that I missed in all my lurking. Great idea. :thumbsup: :applause: Now I definitely have to build a pair or two as soon as I finish my cub cargo. Thanks for bringing it up. Benny
bensgreentrain
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Andymanout » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:12 pm

Thanks for the post. The concept is sound and I of course will over think them to point foolishness! Gonna build a few this weekend to help prepare for my build.
"Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature." I'm gonna do it in a teardrop.
Andymanout
Teardrop Builder

Postby jalmada » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:32 am

Those are pretty cool ;>)
jalmada
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Build Journals