The right color line

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

The right color line

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:11 pm

We are just back from our eight days on the shore of Lake Superior and yes there will be pictures and a write up. We are now up to four tarps including a Kelty Noah's Tarp to go over the picnic table which I picked up at REI. While there I picked up some additional line for guy line in an interesting turquoise color. The default cord with most tarps is black and we have some that is a reflective green and quite frankly we trip over them all the time. The new cord is not esthetically offensive and is not a color that appears much in nature, I will be replacing the rest of the cord with this color.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Re: The right color line

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:13 pm

:thumbsup: Interesting idea! :)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby alex k » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:16 pm

i have 100 feet of orange para cord for tiedowns when they need to be see . otherwise green paracord .
not to be confused with alexk from california

Green Lantern Corpsman
Coleman Keepers 200A Gang
alex k
Teardrop Master

Postby lilgription » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:50 pm

Also you can spray paint some areas of the rope with a reflective paint so they show at night when a flashlight beam hits them
lilgription
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bobhenry » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:46 am

I have been known to tear off a small strip from a white trash bag and just tie it on the cord to help with the dark of night navigation. :roll:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Corwin C » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:54 pm

I have seen camps where each guy line had one of those cheap small solar yard lamps next to the stakes. Besides looking nice, it was a tremendous help getting around in the dark. It is my hope that I can come up with a canopy that has enough support off the tear itself, but should a line/stake be needed, the lights would be an option.
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:09 am

In the original post, esthetically pleasing, was part of the dialogue. This in my mind precludes international orange guy-lines...
The problem with the small LED lights is that they have to have sun and most of the camp sites we use have trees. I remember seeing some one at one of the Tearjerkers gatherings with a bunch of them sitting in the sun away from their camp site. I suppose that this is nit picking a bit but we like to star gaze and light pollution from camp fires or heaven forbid Coleman lanterns makes that more difficult. http://www.darksky.org/assets/documents/is168.pdf
"Using light only when you need it, where you need it, and in the amount you need it will reduce intrusive impacts. With good controls of lighting, a beautiful dark sky experience can be had by all."
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Irmo Atomics » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:08 am

sisal.jpg
sisal.jpg (6.62 KiB) Viewed 1864 times

We use sisal.
Bob
Irmo Atomics
Teardrop Master

Return to Camping Secrets