CPES & Stain

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

CPES & Stain

Postby Billy Schutte » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:35 pm

Will CPES mess up my stain? I've used oil based stain that will dry for about a month before I put any CPES on it. I plan on putting Varathane on after the CPES. I was thinking it would be fine but I got a PM from Doug Hodder about a full Epoxy finish that makes me wonder. The sites where they sell this stuff don't really cover the use of stain.
As usual any help would be great. :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:
There are moments when one feels free from one's own identification with human limitations and inadequacies. At such moments one imagines that one stands on some spot of a small planet, gazing in amazement at the cold yet profoundly moving beauty of the eternal, the unfathomable; life and death flow into one, and there is neither evolution nor destiny; only Being. - Albert Einstein
Billy Schutte
Donating Member

Postby Juneaudave » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:52 pm

Test panel time I think....
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

I've answered my own question

Postby Billy Schutte » Tue May 02, 2006 11:33 am

No it won't mess up my stain! Here is one of my sides. I stained it with oil based Minwax stain. I let it dry a couple weeks. Then I applied one coat of CPES. After several hours I applied Spar Varathane mixed with 15% Mineral Spirits. My understanding is if you get the first coat of Varathane on within 24 hours, it will chemically bond with the CPES. I now intend to give it a good week to fully cure, then put on a couple more coats of Spar Varathene.

http://tnttt.com/album_ ... ic_id=8211
There are moments when one feels free from one's own identification with human limitations and inadequacies. At such moments one imagines that one stands on some spot of a small planet, gazing in amazement at the cold yet profoundly moving beauty of the eternal, the unfathomable; life and death flow into one, and there is neither evolution nor destiny; only Being. - Albert Einstein
Billy Schutte
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Thu May 04, 2006 1:00 am

Can't decide if that is moon shine or a target. :lol:
Pretty one anyway.

Miriam
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Arne » Thu May 04, 2006 5:35 am

I doubt cpes will mess up your stain once the stain is dry. However, once you put cpes on, I doubt you will be able to restain the piece as stain should not absorb through the cpes (which is really a very thin resin). So, if you get sun fade, I'm not sure what you would do to refinish it....

You could call rot doc and talk to them about it. My take is, once you put cpes on, you got what you got....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques