New Miracle Tape

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

New Miracle Tape

Postby chugs0978 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:15 am

There's this new tape that has been developed and right now the name escapes me, maybe if someone knows it, chime in.....but anyways, it's like $6 for 10 ft but it streaches to 3 times it's size, so about 30 ft. Anyways, it only adheres to itself. But....the kicker is....it settles in on itself.....wrap it around a broken broom handle and that thing won't ever come apart. There's some kind of chemical reaction that makes it mold inside itself and the only way to get it off is to burn it or cut it with heavy duty cutters. Has anyone heard of this?

I thought this product might be a useful tool in the teardropping world. Ill try to find out today the name...just wanted to put the bug in yalls ear! Have a great day!
~*~Chippies Princess~*~
(Courtney)
chugs0978
Teardrop Builder

Postby Loader » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:20 am

I used to use a similar product when I was in the Air Force, we called it F-4 tape. Used mostly in electrical applications, or to wrap the outer coating of ECS ducts. Not sure it is the same stuff you are thinking of. On a side note, you could make a ball out of it, and use it for flightline/hangar baseball. :lol:
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Loader » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:30 am

Here's a link I found with a similar silcon tape to what I'm talking about:

TAPE
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Nitetimes » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:40 am

That would be this stuff electrical tape I keep a roll of it handy, it will keep water out of your wiring. It's been around for quite some time now.

Loader Haven't heard it called that in a long while, that's the only thing I ever heard it called in the AF.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Arne » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:42 am

On my motorcycle, I used 'set-backs' to move the bars back. I could not use the handlebar cover anymore... after a year of looking at the wires, cables and handlebars, I went to h/d to look for something to wrap it with.

I had thought of black eclectrical tape, but first went to the pipe wrap section. In amongst the foam covering, they carry a black tape, similar to what is described above. Weird stuff. It is about 1 inch wide, stretchy, not sticky.. but when stretched and wrapped over itself around all the handlebar stuff, it covered it pretty well... I put a single wrap of electrical tape on the end just to be sure....

Here is a not-too-clear pic of the handlebars...

www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Loader » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:43 am

Rich, to this day it is called F-4 tape, although it is not used much any more. You're right, I never heard it by any other name.
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby chugs0978 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:45 am

Nitetimes wrote:That would be this stuff electrical tape I keep a roll of it handy, it will keep water out of your wiring. It's been around for quite some time now.

Loader Haven't heard it called that in a long while, that's the only thing I ever heard it called in the AF.

Nooooo it's not electric tape. I may be dumb....but Im not that dumb. trust me I have TONS of that stuff in my cable bag. I hook up internet and telephone lines....and electric tape is my BEST friend.....this is way different. And....electrical tape will adhere to things...this tape ONLY adheres to itself.......
~*~Chippies Princess~*~
(Courtney)
chugs0978
Teardrop Builder

Postby Loader » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:49 am

Courtney, Not talking about regular every day electrcial tape. Silcon based.

Take a look at that link I posted. In fact I know I have some at home still, probably 15 years old, if not older. Even have the NSN on the can the tape comes in. If I do, I'll get a snappy posted tonight.

Arnereil, that kinda has the look of the F-4 tape. Most times there is a green line down the center, helps in getting a good wrap.
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby chugs0978 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:54 am

Loader wrote:Courtney, Not talking about regular every day electrcial tape. Silcon based.

Take a look at that link I posted. In fact I know I have some at home still, probably 15 years old, if not older. Even have the NSN on the can the tape comes in. If I do, I'll get a snappy posted tonight.

Arnereil, that kinda has the look of the F-4 tape. Most times there is a green line down the center, helps in getting a good wrap.

That could possibly be it....but when I looked at the website....it didn't sound like the same stuff.....ill find it for you and post it. It may very well be the same thing and I am just not realizing it.....ill post when I figure it out.
~*~Chippies Princess~*~
(Courtney)
chugs0978
Teardrop Builder

Postby Nitetimes » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:57 am

Gimme a break, it was a quick search! 8) :lol:

Maybe your thinking of this stuff tape I've seen it before, it do work.
Most of the stretch elect tape won't actually stick to anything other than itself, I've used that stuff from 3M and the stickies on it won't hold much but it don't unwrap once it's wrapped.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby chugs0978 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:03 am

Nitetimes wrote:Gimme a break, it was a quick search! 8) :lol:

Maybe your thinking of this stuff tape I've seen it before, it do work.
Most of the stretch elect tape won't actually stick to anything other than itself, I've used that stuff from 3M and the stickies on it won't hold much but it don't unwrap once it's wrapped.

Yea! Thats pretty much it! I think the one I was talking about was called something different but Yes thats the idea. ;) That stuffs neat as all get out!
~*~Chippies Princess~*~
(Courtney)
chugs0978
Teardrop Builder

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:11 am

Courtney I hope it's what Rich said cause I'm ordering some.
I have kept some tape for wrapping boat lines in my car and tackle box for years. This sounds similar but way different. The temp and presure ratings are much higher. Expensive stuff... 8)

Thanks for thinking of us.
Miriam
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby PakRat63 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:50 am

Don't really want to hijack the thread, but has anyone tried the new GOrilla Duct Tape? Is there any diff between it and reg'ler ol duct (duck, 100-mile-an-hour, riggers, etc.) tape? i know that GOrilla glue is supposed to by the neatest thing in sticky, wondering if the tape just capitalizing on the name.

pete
Accept that some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue! pete
PakRat63
Teardrop Inspector

Postby angib » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:43 am

Self-amalgamating tape?
And is there some sort of prize for spelling that right first time? :thinking:

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby rampage » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:07 am

Loader wrote:Courtney, Not talking about regular every day electrcial tape. Silcon based.

Dont let Homeland Security hear about that theft. If they send you to the brig I wont be able to steal anymore of your build ideas. :lol: :lol:
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning"
rampage
Donating Member

Next

Return to General Discussion