OMG - What have you done to me?

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

OMG - What have you done to me?

Postby kookenotes » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:38 am

When I first learned of Tear Drops, I found this forum and quickly became convinced that a TD would be the perfect answer to camping spontaneously and with a minimalist's perspective since one of my TV's is a small convertible. Thanks to Mike's Benroy plans and many of the members on the forum, I am about 90% complete and hope to be campable by mid July.

Then I found the Vintage Camping Equipment threads and my troubles began. I already had a number of pieces of old Coleman gear from coolers, to jugs, to stoves. I had two lanterns - a 275 Turd and a 222 peak 1 that were both in pristine condition - so I figured I was set. Then I saw Kirk's and Kenin's comments about the 200A and decided I had to have one which became three. A couple of old 220's and a 228 soon followed and I became pretty good at tearing them down and cleaning them up, thanks to this forum and "Old Coleman Parts". Then I read some of Doug's posts and his praise of the 242's and I decided that I had to have one of those, which soon became three. Now I'm in the early stages of rebuilding a brass 220C 1946 B birthday lantern that I think I will finish in polished brass. During this process, I have also added a second steel belted cooler, a couple of additional stoves and another large jug. My question is this: Do I need to find a nice deuce and a half for my new tow vehicle? Thanks to all of you for helping me get fully established in these new addictions. What an outstanding group of people. :beer:
kookenotes
Teardrop Advisor

Re: OMG - What have you done to me?

Postby Zollinger » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:44 am

Hee hee hee. :whistle: Which one of us were twisting your arm? 8)
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Junkboy999 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:12 pm

Ha hahaha Ya I don’t know why, and I can’t tell you how come I have one of every 228 models sitting on my living room but the earliest 1927. Why I’m taking apart a perfectly good 220K and turning it into a 228K ( never produces). How come there is two Mil spec lanterns in my workshop, and a bunch of little 200A running around and multiplying like rabbits. And I sit at the computer screening all the sales sights looking for the elusive Waffle Dog. You thought lanterns, stoves, coolers, jugs, and cast iron cooking pots were enough, but no...... Where your Waffle Dog? :? :shock: :lol:

I blame this guy Darren for my addiction and the other two coleman collectors I parked next to at my first ever teardrop gathering last september. (Crawford state park Kansas 2012)
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby kookenotes » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:55 pm

You're right Dawn, I have certainly gone willingly. It's amazing how many of us are so easily lead astray. And to Terry's comment, I have to admit that I have looked at Waffle Dog Makers on eBay to find out what that addiction is about. They look like fun but I have yet to see one in a price range that I would take the leap on. It will have to fall in my lap at a yard sale. I just wish I could finish the trailer as fast as I can acquire vintage Coleman gear. I sure am having fun with both though.
kookenotes
Teardrop Advisor

Postby doug hodder » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:03 pm

Sorry if you have become "hooked" on this sort of thing. To be honest, Coleman products are just the beginning, any of the more vintage type camping, or for that matter, kitchen type items that were used and forgotten are kind of what's it about. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's not a useable item and chances are, it brings back memories to others and for me reminds me of a time when things weren't so "throw away". I always get a chuckle out of someone that refers to an 80 year old camping stove as a "piece of junk". Really? The fact that it is still around after 80 years kinda indicates that it's not. I usually agree however and offer them a minimal amount of cash to rid them of that "piece of junk".

Oh, by the way, it's not uncommon to go camping and end up bringing back more stuff than you originally took...ask me how I know. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby SuperShady1 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:00 pm

Doug how do you Know??

I find myself on the alert driving around on the weekends for Coleman and cast iron.

Even have the listing of all the local flea markets in hand, well in my brief case.

I have been using the griswold frying pans now all the time at home on the Napoleon six burner.

Hmmm I can do the potatoes in one, the bacon in another and the eggs in another.

can one get too much iron in their diet??

Shady
Its a beautiful world we live in
A sweet romantic place
Beautiful people everywhere
The way they show they care
Makes me want to say

Its a beautiful world
Its a beautiful world
Its a beautiful world

For you, for you, for you

Coleman Keepers 200A Gang

Green Lantern Corpsmen
SuperShady1
500 Club

Postby kookenotes » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:06 pm

Hey Doug - Part of my fascination with the stoves and lanterns has come from acquiring an old piece like my 1938 242B, putting fuel and a mantle in it, oiling the pump leather, and having it start right up. How many things have a useful life of over 75 years these days? After a good cleaning and polishing it looks terrific. I had a head start on the C.I. When my Mom passed away at 90 about 10 years ago, I got all the cast iron that she routinely cooked with. I use at least one piece of it almost every day although I have no experience using it over coals or an open fire yet. You're so right about the vintage kitchen equipment bringing back great memories. Thanks for your contributions to my new hobbies. :)
kookenotes
Teardrop Advisor

Postby webbaldo » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:08 am

I know the feeling, despite the fact ive only got 2, its starting to take effect

Colemans are pretty expensive here in the UK so I was chuffed my first was cheap. (Have a retro electric one, and a dual fuel one)

Im thinking of getting a couple of Vapalux's as well as they are abundant and cheap here

Likes to think he's Norm from New Yankee Workshop

In reality, hes a average DIY'er with a 18x16ft Wooden shed
webbaldo
Teardrop Master

Postby SuperShady1 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:35 pm

webbaldo wrote:I know the feeling, despite the fact ive only got 2, its starting to take effect

Colemans are pretty expensive here in the UK so I was chuffed my first was cheap. (Have a retro electric one, and a dual fuel one)

Im thinking of getting a couple of Vapalux's as well as they are abundant and cheap here

That is a cute little lantern...

let us know if you need help with your addiction here in the states...I am sure we can help you fuel your collection.

Shady
A sweet romantic place
Makes me want to say

Its a beautiful world
Its a beautiful world
Its a beautiful world

Green Lantern Corpsmen
SuperShady1
500 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:42 pm

I had training in prevention and treatment of addictions basically (AOD) alcohol and other drugs and strictly speaking this is a relatively harmless one. Other than to the pocket book and considering what the folks spend on the Big RV's this is nothing.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby SuperShady1 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:55 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:I had training in prevention and treatment of addictions basically (AOD) alcohol and other drugs and strictly speaking this is a relatively harmless one. Other than to the pocket book and considering what the folks spend on the Big RV's this is nothing.

Bless you!
A sweet romantic place
Makes me want to say

Its a beautiful world
Its a beautiful world
Its a beautiful world

Green Lantern Corpsmen
SuperShady1
500 Club

Postby campmaster-k » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:19 pm

Pressure Gas Appliances are the perfect things to collect.

They are relatively inexpensive. They make fire. They make light and heat. They are shiny. They are metal with many working parts to tinker with. They all have different personalities. They are green and red and blue and all sorts of other cool colors. There are MANY different models to collect and protect. They make fire. You can get them cheaply at the fleamarket (bootfair). You can name them. I just need a few more. Its only three days till the flea market. I just know there is going to be a perfect 200a wanting to come home with me this week. They make fire. Nobody will take care of them like I will. Dont look at me like that. No I dont have enough. Why cant I play with my lanterns in the house? Nobody is going to stop me from having that 242! I can stop anytime.

Just when you think its all slipping away and your family and friends think you are nuts ---- just come here where you will be understood. ;)

The only question you will get here is Green Corps or 200A gang.
Last edited by campmaster-k on Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:48 pm

campmaster-k wrote:The only question you will get here is Green Corps or 200A gang.

Kirk,

What's wrong with both...... 8) :D :lol:
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby SuperShady1 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:06 pm

Wolfgang92025 wrote:
campmaster-k wrote:The only question you will get here is Green Corps or 200A gang.

Kirk,

What's wrong with both...... 8) :D :lol:

Many things wrong about both!! Especially the leaders!!

Sgt. Shady
A sweet romantic place
Makes me want to say

Its a beautiful world
Its a beautiful world
Its a beautiful world

Green Lantern Corpsmen