Mint 200A birthday lantern value?

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Mint 200A birthday lantern value?

Postby danlott » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:50 pm

Ok, after watching fleabay for 2 years I have finally found a 200A latern in mint condition that also is my birthday date. It has been the only one that I have seen that is my birthday in the entire 2 years. The problem is it is continuing to go up in price. What do you all think is a good price for a mint 200A lantern. It is not in the box, but is basicly brand new, only 42 years old.

Dan
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Re: Mint 200A birthday lantern value?

Postby Junkboy999 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:07 am

When I first found out about B-day lanterns Last september I have only seen two May 64 on Flea bay. Both times I got out bid on, as the price when over 50. One day someone posted one with a buy it now $50. I pulled the trigger on it , got tired of waiting, after that I have seen seven 5 - 64 200a sold. I still bid on then but not that high. I got my B-day one ( actually two in one month ).

On the B-day they are only worth what you want to pay. They are only worth it for you. and that other guy needing his B-day lantern.

remember you only need the fount ( tank ) with the correct date. You can always build a lantern on top of it. If it is Mint of E-bay you got a lot of other people bidding on it.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby wagondude » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:56 am

I think I got mine for something like $25(plus shipping) after seeing many go higher. Mine was not mint, though. After getting a globe and generator and some high temp paint for the cage, I probably was close to $50 all in. The beast thing to do is to decide what it is worth to you and never bid over that. The folks that are willing to pay more will get theirs first, but you will eventually get the better deal. Another thing you might try is posting up the date you are looking for (both here and the Coleman collectors forum). Someone may be willing to make you a deal that won't be inflated with Ebay fees and such.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby eamarquardt » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:08 pm

How many "birthday lanterns" are you gonna buy? As long as it's not outrageous and you can afford it, pay what it takes and have your cake and eat it too. You can make up what you spend by not getting that new tattoo, buying that extra 30 pack of beer, or in any number of other ways.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:18 am

On Fleabay, you can probably expect a mint "new-in-box" 200A to go for $75-100, and sometimes higher. Depends on who's bidding and how bad they want it. Usually people are willing to spend a tad more for their birthday lanterns, so if you're bidding against someone who wants to claim it as their birthday lantern then you could end up bidding even higher. And people are always willing to pay more for lanterns with the original box.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby campmaster-k » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:14 pm

eamarquardt wrote:How many "birthday lanterns" are you gonna buy? As long as it's not outrageous and you can afford it, pay what it takes and have your cake and eat it too. You can make up what you spend by not getting that new tattoo, buying that extra 30 pack of beer, or in any number of other ways.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers,

Gus

I am with Gus. Normally I only pay flea prices, but every once in awhile I will pay market price for a really nice piece. Remember that a brand new Coleman PGA is going be close to a hundred bucks and its not going to be near the awesomeness of the old one.
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment