One more time two specific (Side Tents) Explored

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

One more time two specific (Side Tents) Explored

Postby sdtripper2 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:20 am

Hello, All

There have been many threads on side tents however I would like to address this subject one more time.

Here is the thread I participated in recently on side tents http://tinyurl.com/q63pw

I really like two styles of side tents and would ask for some more input on these two styles.

The first is the TAB side tent. I haven’t found anyone that has bought one and wonder if it could be adapted to a standard Teardrop (5x10). That is attached on the edge like the TAB with ease? Anybody out there know the price and if the adaptation could be done with ease for a Tear? See pic above for example:

Anyone have one of these Tab side tent?
Can it adapt for a Tear?
Cost?

The second question on side tents is about the tent that won best idea award at Minden 05. See pic above: I want to know if anyone knows who made it or if there are any plans or more details as to how it is attached to the tear? I would like to make this one if possible.

Here are some more pic's of the side tent above to get the full flavor of this construction courtesy of (Kevin A.) = http://tinyurl.com/gj53h

Anyone know if the persons that made this side tent are on this forum?:
Are there any plans or details to make this side tent, costs etc.?:
How does it attach so nicely to the Teardrop?:
Last edited by sdtripper2 on Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby madjack » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:30 am

Steve, doanno nuthin' 'bout the T@B tent...however L'il Guy sells one that is similar that is made for them by Paha Que...pricey for me...

that second one and these are assumptions based on the that pic and a couple of others I have seen...it is attached using an edge molding that incorporates an awning rail on it's edge...this is a common RV molding...in other pics I have seen, it has a couple of roof bows to keep water from collecting on top and it uses(assumption) a shock corded pole on the outside top edge to maintain the shape...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Chris C » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:34 pm

Exactly correct, Madjack. I spoke with the owner when at Minden and he made it himself. It was a really neat setup. Buttoned down real tight for bad weather.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby jdarkoregon » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:22 am

Great images and great "simple" idea. It shouldn't take very much if you have the right molding that will hold the canvas to the teardrop, you might look at this molding

Do it, http://www.interstatemetals.com/images/cat02.jpg
:thumbsup:
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby Nytewyng » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:48 am

When I bought my LittleGuy the wife saw the PQ in the showrom , yes pricey , but well made and its 12x12 you can stand up in it have a table and chairs, etc. The one side is tear shaped but havent set it up yet to see the fit. The wife was thinking heavt duty velcro.
Rob and Deb Mangano
Nytewyng
500 Club

Postby Classic Finn » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:54 pm

We have found a very nice profile that is attatched basically the same way.. no extra holes or tape or... onto the teardrop... and its seals up the
tent to it very nicely...I,ll post some photos of it...

We are going to have a tent sewn for us here locally that is the conture of our build...
I really like that setup...

Classic Finn :thumbsup:
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby bennelson » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:18 pm

I thought what I might do on my teardrop is install a couple of snaps on the aluminum corner. They make some snaps that mount with a screw. Put a couple stainless screws into the angle holding down a few snaps.

Then I would have a canvas rain fly that would snap to the teardrop on one end and go out to poles on the other end.

I do like the way the cover on the tab looks. Maybe there is some way I could sew rod pockets in the rain fly so the whole thing can stick out straight out instead of having to have a pole go to the ground where I will eventually trip on on.

-Ben
still no idea what i'm doing...
bennelson
Teardrop Master

Postby sdtripper2 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:31 pm

Chris C wrote: I spoke with the owner when at Minden and he made it himself. It was a really neat setup. Buttoned down real tight for bad weather.

Chris & anyone else that talked to this person?:

This owner that you talked to ... can you remember a name or where he lived? Maybe I can contact someone in a specific area of the USA and find him to get some more details on the bonding of tent to the side of his Tear?

Looks to me as though if you made a cover to match your teardrop and then had doors made with slip holds for the elastic tent poles to go through on each side top and then and ..... >here is the key to have the hardware to hook to the tear frame around the top edge as well as the cross slats. That way the tent could be put on both sides of the tear.

I just would like to get the exact hardware for the hook uP to the tear and the slats that he used as why reinvent the wheel when something so sweet has already been done. Also to get the name of the material he used and if it is waterproof and so on?

The weight and the room it would take for that package seems to be small and effectively gives your twice as much living area with the versatility of use on either side of the Tear.

Anyone else ........ Maybe .... Kevin A. remembers where this person resides in the USA ... so I could contact a group closer to his realm of influence?

Here are the pic's again of the side tent above to get the full flavor of this construction courtesy of (Kevin A.) = http://tinyurl.com/gj53h

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby Ira » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:31 pm

This side-tent thing is gonna be the death of me. While so many of these look like great and practical solutions, the majority have one major drawback:

The HIDE the TD way too much.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby mincey » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:41 am

I can give an idea of the T@B perspective. I have a T@B, but we have the clamshell model so the awning is not an option. But on the other floor plans, there is a channel that runs all along the roof line, and that awning that you see pictured slides into that channel to attach to the T@B, and the outside edge is like an arched tent pole that can be staked to the ground. I don't recall the price, but I know it isn't cheap, somewhere between $300 and $500 if I recall correctly. Some dealers throw it in with a T@B sale.

Cheryl
Cheryl and Randall
2006 T@B Clamshell
The T@Binator
mincey
Teardrop Master

Minden side tent

Postby sdtripper2 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:43 am

Cheryl Thank you for the information on the tab.:)

Still would like to find out the name of the person who made side tent from Minden 2005.

This side tent is the tent that won best idea award at Minden 2005. I want to know if anyone knows who made it or if there are any plans or more details as to how it is attached to the tear? I would like to make this one if possible.

Here are some more pic's of the side tent above
to get the full flavor of this construction courtesy
of (Kevin A.) = http://tinyurl.com/gj53h

:thinking: Anyone know who made this tent?
:thinking:

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby Chris C » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:54 am

Sorry Steve, I talked with the guy for about 30 minutes about both his trailer and that georgeous side awning. He made both himself. The trailer was immaculate in every detail, and the awning was something spectacular. I can answer most of your questions about how it was made, but I couldn't tell you his name if my life depended on it. (Short term memory for names.) :lol: I remember him saying something about not being a member of the site..................he found out about the gathering through his car club or something.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques