Backyard Teardrop Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Backyard Teardrop Build

Postby Corwin C » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:01 am

I haven't seen any recent pictures, but if there's a side of the "box" still open it will have the ability to twist until that last part is installed. Think of a cardboard box. If you open the lid, the sides can rack and twist. Closing the lid restores that structure and its rigidity.
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby Breytie » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:22 am

Corwin C wrote:I haven't seen any recent pictures, but if there's a side of the "box" still open it will have the ability to twist until that last part is installed. Think of a cardboard box. If you open the lid, the sides can rack and twist. Closing the lid restores that structure and its rigidity.

From the oldest pics, it seems this will be the lid: Floor, roof, 2 walls and front (with cupboard) already done.

So make sure everything is square and straight before dragging the glue and screws closer.
Experience is learning from your own mistakes
Here I make mine in public: My build
Breytie
Teardrop Master

Postby Junkboy999 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:44 pm

HBarbinMI wrote:I am trying to picture all of us in there- I can't even see how we'd get the door shut, lol! I think the young bodies will be tenting it :lol:
My boys still like tents, so I think we are good to go.

I was asking about all four of you, I ment. The Hubby, you, and your two Puppies. :) ha :lol: ahahahah
Great start Keep it up.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby HBarbinMI » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:04 pm

Puppies are excellent blanket warmers- might be just a bit heavy though :)
HBarbinMI
Teardrop Builder

Postby HBarbinMI » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:15 pm

I finished adding glue to the galley wall inside the routed tracks -both walls and the floor. Got a coat of paint on it and the shelf in- I still have to add the trim around the Breakfast-In-Bed Hole, as well as a rail to the front of the shelf, and possibly a matching wooden back-splash type panel around the entire shelf, to match the side walls. The routed track under the shelf was intended for a second smaller shelf, but after some consideration we may use this area to build a cabinet for electrical stuff.
The end result isn't quite what I had in mind, so I may make a few changes...we'll see.
HBarbinMI
Teardrop Builder

Postby Breytie » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:39 am

That turned out very nicely. I like the look of that shelf.
Experience is learning from your own mistakes
Here I make mine in public: My build
Breytie
Teardrop Master

Postby HBarbinMI » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:09 pm

Things have been pretty busy lately so no new pics, but I did get the rest of the roof on, now I am waiting for a little warmer weather to fiberglass it. In the mean time we are going to turn our attention to wiring...and start looking at the doors and hatch area. One area we know will be tricky: the doors were cut out with a pretty wide router bit, which took out more wood than it should have, so there is quite a gap to fill. That was something we didn't notice until it was much too late to do anything about (unless we want to buy another sheet of 3/4 in wood-which we don't).
HBarbinMI
Teardrop Builder

Postby HBarbinMI » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:49 am

I have not posted anything in months, so I just wanted to put an update on here, work continues! I finished fiber glassing the roof just as winter hit, and it has sat all winter in the garage :(
Finally, I get to do some work! I purchased a belt sander and extra sandpaper for the little hand sanders, and now it's time to smooth it all down. I am pretty excited!
I have about half of the electrical stuff purchased, but for now I am concentrating on getting the exterior complete so I can camp some this summer. I will post more pictures when I have some progress. :D
HBarbinMI
Teardrop Builder

Postby HBarbinMI » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:13 am

I have been slowly getting a few things done. The base coat of white is on, and finally have my doors cut to fit! The first one is hung, with the window installed. Second one is painted, just need the time to install the window and hang it. Still need to install the hardware, but this is progress! I need to pull it out of the garage to get better pictures, but it is finally starting to look like something besides a big blob of wood! Also time to turn our attention to the hatch. The scary part. We'll see how this goes...
HBarbinMI
Teardrop Builder

Postby HBarbinMI » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:06 am

My doors are on and the front screen is installed. I still need to place the trim around the screen, and finish the hardware on the doors, but it is looking pretty good I think. Fantastic Fan is in and sealed with silicone, just waiting for the wiring to be finished :)
HBarbinMI
Teardrop Builder

Postby rebapuck » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:38 pm

You'll be camping soon.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby HBarbinMI » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:28 pm

I hope so! Seems like it has taken forever to get to this point. We started on the hatch, cutting the pieces for the frame, but haven't got any father on it yet, maybe this weekend. Also just finished the second coat of poly. on the second shelf for the interior, but I think I will wait for the final interior paint job before installing.
I think once the hatch is complete, we will do the wiring for all the dc stuff, then maybe plan a maiden trip! I can't wait!
HBarbinMI
Teardrop Builder

Postby HBarbinMI » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:39 pm

I can't believe it's been so long since I updated my last post...lost a password and didn't realize all the responses I got for a reset were being sent to a spam folder :NC
Now for an update:
Our hatch is finished along with most of the trailer, and we have even taken a maiden voyage last fall...things I still need to finish: choosing the gas struts to hold up the hatch (wood works for now), some of the electrical is not installed yet, and I have to finish the galley, for now it has a shelf and room for a cooler and large tote which holds my camping dishes.

I have started learning to tow and I must admit, it was way harder to back up than I thought it would be...my husband says it's because it is small, that longer trailers are a little easier. For now the new tow vehicle has that "tow backup assist" option which is pretty awesome and will work until I get more practice.

For some reason I cannot upload to my gallery on this site, so here are links...
Pics from our first trip to a nearby state park:
https://goo.gl/photos/bTTaCQf1B6fDgNop8
https://goo.gl/photos/SBocwnKn7VsHHUz2A
https://goo.gl/photos/F9LQ4VJ63iT7NxmV6
HBarbinMI
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Build Journals