Intro, Newbie wanna be solo lady teardropper in Pacific NW

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Re: Intro, Newbie wanna be solo lady teardropper in Pacific

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:09 am

I am going to base my recommendations on our experience and learning the hard way first you need to see Teardrop #1 and #2

Note no tongue box=a LOT less storage! this only had one door and a number of other limitations but had lots of cabinet storage space which Nancy Loves.

#2 Nancy designed the kitchen cabinets and I no longer have tongue box envy.

"I was wondering if anyone knows...would a deep cycle battery allow me run the lights in the trailer, a mini heater on cold days and a single electric burner? I have never used propane and would honestly prefer never to do so. Growing up the house stove was gas and I nearly caught the house on fire more than once. I by far prefer cooking with electric. I do not think I am going to be doing a great deal of cooking, but for things like tea having a small burner would be nice. Something along this line http://www.amazon.com/Proctor-Silex-341 ... +in+burner ."

SC Anything that uses resistance heat is a no no they suck power in a very big way but are fine if you are plugged into a pedestal. When off grid we use a french press for coffee and the cook top, propane to cook.
Of the three the Teardrop NW has the engineering, cabinet space, and hatch design most likely to keep water out. However it does not have a converter, only a small battery maintainer. This could be corrected. Our tear is 6X10 and more space is good to have.

For others, she is towing with a Kia which is some what similar to the Out back and absolutely need brakes!
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby mandy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:11 pm

Welcome Nicola :)
Glad you joined us here. :thumbsup:
Here a link to to another forum members response of what he looks for in the perfect teardrop. http://www.mikenchell.com/perfect_td.html He has some good pointers for anyone interested in having a Teardrop.
Have fun deciding and be sure to take lots and lots of pictures of your new TD. ( Auntie M loves the pics.)
The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

Postby Nicolathecat » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:12 am

Thank you so much for all the suggestions and welcome. I am so excited about getting my teardrop.

I have made progress!!! I have preapproval for a loan, I think I have narrowed it down to one builder (Teardrops NW) and I have a name! My teardrop is going to be Mariposa once she is done and will be decorated in a butterfly theme with a few baby dragons thrown in because I love them... :D
"An Zhi Fei Fu"
Who could have guessed it was a blessing in disguise?
-Chinese proverb

Nicolathecat
Teardrop Builder

Postby mandy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:00 pm

Nicolathecat wrote:Thank you so much for all the suggestions and welcome. I am so excited about getting my teardrop.

I have made progress!!! I have preapproval for a loan, I think I have narrowed it down to one builder (Teardrops NW) and I have a name! My teardrop is going to be Mariposa once she is done and will be decorated in a butterfly theme with a few baby dragons thrown in because I love them... :D

Sounds like a great theme. :thumbsup: I can't wait to see what you come up with.
The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

Postby enigmak » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:02 pm

I just wanted to welcome you here and wish you lots of fun camping with your daughter. May you build a life time of wonderful memories!

I would suggest 2 doors, you may not always use both, but it is nice to have so that you don't have to walk all the way around the tear to get something out if you need to. It is also a good way to escape if you need to, the bear comes in one door and you go out the other door. :o Two doors also makes it easier to make the beds and to load the tear with stuff.

I think the tongue box would be great for more storage, but mine has a built in ice chest above the air conditioner. The ice chest is too high up for me to get stuff out, so I have to climb up on the tongue to reach down in the bottom of it. With the tongue box I could put the things that are usually thrown on the bed for travel, chairs, side tent ect.

Hope to see you camping!
enigmak
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Lady Teardroppers