Fantastic Fan question

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Fantastic Fan question

Postby kartvines » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:16 am

Okay, now that I have the top skin installed, not completed but installed. I will need to ponder the question regarding the Fantastic Fan.

As all of you know who has one, it only comes with a thin form gasket. At the RV store they have a installation kit that has plumbers tape. what are you folks using? One or the other or both? I also did not remember seeing bolt or screw in the box. what type and size screw or bolts are being used? Anyway do not want to have any problems installing the 200 bucks plus fan. so all feed back is most welcomed.

Also About the wires. There do not seems to be much room to tuck them aside and out of view. Where are you hiding them, it may be simple once I get the fan installed, have not even cut the hole in the top of the skin yet.

Mike aka kartvines

PS Once I get the bondo on, and everything smoothed out, I will post before and after photos of the horrible mess I got into installing the top skin over the week end.
Image..Image..Image..
Image.
kartvines
500 Club

Postby doug hodder » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:46 am

Mike...I just used the foam gasket...the instructions say to install with the foam gasket and then seal the outeredge of the foam (and it's closed cell) with silicone...I also got a bag of screws and some additional wire with it...I made the opening for the fan large enough that there is extra space around it...just pushed the fan to one side and stuffed the wiring along side of the fan leaving me enough so that if I ever take it out I've got some wire to work with...Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Arne » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:45 am

Same here, used foam supplied plus a light coat of silicone around the edge... oh, and put screws half way in, then a dab of silicone on each screw, then put them all the way down.. that seals the screwheads.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby madjack » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:57 am

we didn't use the gasket that came with it...used auto windsheild sealant and hope we don't regret that one day, the screws that came with the unit were not SS so we replaced them with SS...sealed them also...also cut opening large enough(14.25x14.25) to lay excess wire in
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:46 pm

I used the foam gasket but I had other leaks to contend with. I removed the fan last night in preperation for aluminum. I noticed that the screws were starting to rust already. I think I'll replace them with Stainless Screws.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby kartvines » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:38 pm

Thanks guys, will follow your feed back, and follow the direction in the box with the exception of replacing the screw with SS ones.

Mike aka kartvines
Image..Image..Image..
Image.
kartvines
500 Club

Postby sunny16 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:27 pm

This is good to know info as I will be to this point soon. Thanks for the thread and asking the question now!! :thumbsup:
I cut it three times and it's still too short!!
Perfection is all I ask.......
sunny16
The 300 Club

Postby kartvines » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:19 pm

anything to help a fellow tearjerker :D
Image..Image..Image..
Image.
kartvines
500 Club

Postby cracker39 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:23 pm

I asked Scott (the dealer I bought the fan from) this same question. He said that some RV dealers threw away the foam gasket and just used sealant. He said he would use the foam gasket, but also use Poly sealant. He doesn't like silicone at all. He said to dab the screw heads with the sealant as well. That would prevent leakage around the screws, and probably help prevent the screw heads from rusting. I'm going to use poly sealant, but am still undecided whether to use the gasket or not. without the gasket, my fan is the perfect thickness. The control face is flush with the ceiling inside.

My wires will run through a groove in the framing and will connect outside the fan frame, not inside, so I don't have to worry about fitting them in anywhere. I had to cut a groove in my garnish to fit over those wires though.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Arne » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:01 am

Is poly sealant a specific sealer, or a generic title? If it is better than silicone, I'll use it next time... as long as I can remove the item I'm sealing if I need to....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby cracker39 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:24 am

I was referring to any polyeurothane based sealant. I am using OSI Sealant. They changed the tube at HD. What I had before was OSI PL Polyeurothane Window and Door sealant. The new tube says OSI VOC Windows, Siding & RoofQuad advanced formula sealant. I'm not even positive that this new tube is poly sealant. It cleans up with mineral spirits just like the poly sealant.

Some people prefer the poly to silicone. I used it based on their recommendations.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Return to General Discussion