HOUSE IN A HOUSE

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Re: HOUSE IN A HOUSE

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:26 pm

Glad you made it through without any damage Bob. That is more then close enough. :worship:
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:00 pm

Woodbutcher wrote:Glad you made it through without any damage Bob. That is more then close enough. :worship:

+1
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby pchast » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:03 pm

+1
:thumbsup:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby josephhanson » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:55 am

Wow Bob, I didn't realize you were that close to where the storms went through. Looks like you might have some firewood to access. I'm glad you came out unharmed.
Happy camping,
Joe & Debbie
Joe
josephhanson
Donating Member

Postby ParTaxer » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:20 am

My thoughts were with you during that severe storm warning.

Mike W
I have wisdom beyond my years. In fact, I'm nearly senile.
ParTaxer
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:58 am

All the talk of storm I forgot my great find of the weekend. On my way home saturday I went thru a little hamlet that is on my daily path. Deposited in a big flatbed trailer was a roll around stair. The guy is a steel scrapper and I went to his door to inquire if I could buy it. Long story short $10.00 later it was dug out and placed on my empty trailer and the next morning was rolled into my building to become the stairway to the "second floor". I was planning on building one but the lumber needed would have cost me 10 times what the little stairway did.

similar to this one I found on the net :beer:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby mezmo » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:46 pm

Another one of your great finds ! It just pays to
keep one's eyes open...
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Mary C » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:14 pm

Glad to hear you make it thru the storms!! I was praying for you.

Mary C. :)
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:26 am

My work computer went to the hospital so I took Friday as a goof off day. Went over to the building and even though the mast was in the yard we still had power. I just gave the downed line a wide berth. I worked 4 hours ripping the birch faced 1/2 plywood scrap from work. I took it and lined 3 of the four neichs in the kitchen tee wall. The boss called with an emergency so I rushed back to work and did my job longhand without my computer programs ( what a pain in the butt).
On Saturday morning my bud Jimmy and I loaded the 5 x 10 flatbed trailer with unneeded furniture from the house. We transported it to the storage building. We arrived about 10 am and the power company had struck. The downed lines had been disconnected for safety and we were powerless. I spent 15 minutes trying to start my 4000 watt generator, it was uncooperative. We spent 30 more minutes installing batt insulation in the walls in the semi darkness. I gave up !

I went from there to my buddy "Bubba's" to make a payment on my newly purchased 5x10 flatbed trailer and stopped in to an antique store nearby and found a nifty old spider skillet for $20. ( I'll get some pics in the cast iron section later )
I spent Sunday sanding cleaning and re-seasoning it. After that I started boxing other stuff and planning for the whenever move here at the banks house that they are letting me live in :D .

Guess I will spend this week trying to get power at the house in a house !

UPDATE: Late Monday evening worked on the generator and gave up in disgust. Went home and the landlord called to tell me about the tree :roll: and the downed lines :roll: and that he needed access to my side of the building so he could have it repaired. I had replaced my keyed lock with a combination lock in anticipation of this event and simply gave him the combination. Sounds like I will have power to work on my project during my 4 days off later this week. :thumbsup:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:54 am

Yes Yes Yes I have the power ! :thumbsup:

With Thursday off I stopped by Wednesday night and the weatherhead and mast were up and the power lines are reconnected. We have power. I found some new material called "Thermoply". This is a almost plastic like fiberboard to be applied as a insulation barrier. Almost the consistancy of a very heavy single ply cardboard with a plastic like face I decided to use this as a external barrier for the back wall. As the 10" I-beams held my back wall not quite a foot away from the steel pole barn wall I wanted to use it much like exterior sheathing. So how do you apply exterior sheathing to a wall from the inside of the building????? :thinking:

here is an mid september picture showing the gap between the stud wall and the steel buildings wall !

I chose to use the 17" plywood rips as the clamping force to trap the new "siding" to the back of the wall. I installed 20' of 17" plywood rips at the floor by screwing at an angle thru the studs into the thermoply and then the plywood. I laid the 4x8 sheets horizontally so I could install the bottom sheets. To do this I weaved in the flexible sheets thru the studs. I then took a loose 2x4 and clamped it behind the wall stud and also behind the plywood/thermoply sandwich to pull the materials close then used 3" construction screws to draw the sandwich tight together. The plywood being behind the thermoply drew everything up tight too each stud. At the 4' level I installed some 11 " scraps I had generated. I screwed low thru the now installed 1st layer and had my buddy Jimmy lower the 2nd ply down from the flat roof into the little 10" cravace and I guided it into the void between the wall stud and the plywood "clamp" after adjusting it to where it needed to go I screwed thru the 2nd level of thermoply into the plywood clamping this second section then Jimmy screwed the top edge into the top plate of the wall. I now have the entire exterior of the back wall sheathed.
It started out as a real head scratcher on how to keep creepy crawly critters out of the insulation and how to keep the insulation from escaping into the 10" plus deep void behind the wall. I now have a white pristeen exterior sheathed wall behind the wall studs.

here is the product

here is the bedroom wall sheathed

here is the kitchen wall sheathed

The insulation is next just gotta run a propane gas line before sealing up the walls and ceiling with insulation and drywall. Have the kitchen ceiling fan up temporarly.

We spent a couple hours toteing up small items up the rolling stairway to the second floor "mezzanine". Saturday we moved 2 small trailer loads of unnecessary furniture over to the house in a house. Some of it was boxes that went onto the "attic". Other light furniture like chairs , rockers and small tables were toted up also. We cleaned the little house very thoroughly and spent about an hour digging out Rip Van winkle to tow home for a possible sale.

here is Rip Van Winkle ( with the tire on the roof ) It was kinda like an archeological dig to get him out of the building :?

Upon arrivel back at the "banks house" ( my home for the monent ) we washed up Rip and had him well bathed for his showing. Then it was time for some liquid saw dust remover. :beer:

I took Sunday off and fixed my Turkey breast in the dutch oven an had noodles and smashed taters and french style green beans with fire roasted tomatoes and a load of biscuits. The kids ( pups) even enjoyed a small helping. Later in the day Sunday I did go over and moved the last load of wall cabinets desks and base cabinets out of the doorway so I could return the trailer to it's original nesting site ( it was a no sale :cry: ) .

The pups liked the road trip but we didn't stay long. It was a very busy holiday weekend.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:45 am

Here are some of the piddle jobs I have gotten done in the evenings after work......

birch liner partially installed in the kitchen tee wall.

Started shelving and installing the side liners in the 3 neiches.

Found this little cast iron mail box in my junk thought why not add some whimsey.

I even got the roof trimmed and the facia cover installed over the open joist voids. Sure makes a difference.

from this...

to this...

and finally a shot of my newest trailer a 5 x 10 heavy duty flat bed. It has been getting a work out toteing furniture and building supplies. (Thats 20 rolls of insulation on board in this shot)

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:24 am

Well another trailer load of furniture went over to the little house in a house this weekend.

The best part is I have the LP gas lines in for the stove and gas fireplace. I am trying to see if I can get my natural gas free standing fireplace converted to LP

if so it will go into the livingroom neich.

If not I have an LP zero clearance gas fireplace

I had earmarked for the caboose, it can be used if needed. I am about 40 minutes of work away from having heat, :applause:

Have blocking in for the bedroom and living room ceiling fans and wires are in place ( and hot :frightened: I gotta remember that)

I want to install 12 volt DC drops in all 8 neichs and a couple in the bedroom and living room ceiling for 12 volt lighting.
Insulation and drywall is also on the schedule for the 24th and 25th.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby ParTaxer » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:26 am

I live in a 120 year old house. I have the same fireplace as yours only I used the black inner part as an insert for old fireplaces that should never be used as a fireplace. They look original. What BTUs are the fireplace. Do you still have the grill that goes with this model? Might be interested if you don't use it.

Mike W
I have wisdom beyond my years. In fact, I'm nearly senile.
ParTaxer
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:26 am

The ivory free standing fireplace is 25000 btu. It would heat the big house nicely if I ran the furnace fan to distribute the heat to the far rooms. I stopped and talked to the LP guys yesterday and they feel it can be converted to LP with little difficulty.

I also investigated converting the 1940 ish Magic Chef gas stove I have come to dearly love. They feel it will be easily converted also.

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:49 am

12/24/13 was just another moving day. Borrowed my buddy Jim and we emptied the attic. I sorted and pitched and pitched and sorted. (The trash man will probably resign) Two car loads to Salvation army store and a 5 x 10 trailer load to the big storage building. We put most all of the boxed stuff on the roof of the House in the house. Was just too damn cold to work on the house itsself so we went back to the banks house ( where the still let me live) and boxed pots pans dishes and bath room supplies. There are about 2 pieces of furniture in each of the four rooms still containing furniture the other four are empty. Saturday will be in the high fourties and I have the gas lines in so I will hook up the little LP fireplace as temporary heat so we can finish installing the insulation and dry wall in the Wyandotte Storage Company's night watchman's office. :MLAS

Me :roll: no I'm not living here Mr. Building Inspector I have a caboose in Frankfort as my home.

And when the Caboose gets set...... NO Mr zoning czar I'm not living here I have a nice office elswhere I just parked it here because it's the only property I own. :whistle:

Something is gonna go very wrong I can tell it :crying1:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

PreviousNext

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels