Texas closed?

Texas, New Mexico, Louisiana, Arkansas & Oklahoma

Moderator: 2bits

Texas closed?

Postby Fishingtomatoseed » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:14 am

How is everyone doing? Hope everyone in this Texas/Oklahoma ice storm is doing okay. We are on the US75 corridor near the Oklahoma border. We have seen miles and miles and a few more miles of vehicles lined up waiting to get back home. It is petty much just walk to where you want to go. We have been walking to the " local hill" and sledding. Watching movies and playing out in the shop. What has everyone else been doing?
Fishingtomatoseed
Donating Member

Re: Texas closed?

Postby Woodyperk6 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:54 am

We're not completely closed but things have come to crawl. Lots of ice on the South side of Ft. Worth. Been staying inside next to the fireplace.
Woody & Tammy

One day closer.
Woodyperk6
Platinum Donating Member

Postby working on it » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:09 am

from another thread, where I posted this:
We have the White Stuff here; not fluffy, but solid ICE. Always ICE. Fortunately, I had scheduled Wed-Fri off (the wife flew to NYC), so when the ice storm hit Thursday, I wasn't faced with the impossible/impassable drive to work (60miles, one way). The TV news show cars mostly stopped on the overpasses on the highways (for hours at a time). My normal drive time, one way, ranges from 1.5 hours to 2.5 hours. My longest time was 4.75 hours (sleet, not yet frozen). I have to go over at least 5 of the "closed" sections to get there anyway. And to get to travelled/sanded? main feeder streets, I have to first get out of my driveway (75feet uphill on 1.75"-2.5" ice), turn, and go another 110feet on the same). Then there's the crowned roads to the feeder street. 2miles, never sanded, and always 10 or more cars slid into the bar-ditches. I've only seen one truck move down my road, normally dozens, since Thursday (a dually diesel 4WD). I just can't wait to try the drive Monday am. Not expected to melt, as it's 15 degrees on my back porch this morning, and expected to stay in the 20's all weekend. More sleet forecast for tonight. After making that drive for 21 years (or similar lengths from other homes for the previous 23), I may not even try. I would utilize this time to work on my cars, or trailer (another mod), but it's too cold, and frozen in anyway (I'm used to working outside in 100-110 degrees, in summer).
It was between 20-23 degrees all day yesterday, and as I type this on Sunday at 8am Central Time, it has just reached 24 degrees. Woo-hoo ! Wife is still in NYC; not expected home until Monday night (if she can get from DFW Airport to here). Yesterday, my neighbors kid tried to drive up past the creek/bar ditch 20 feet uphill from his driveway. Nosed in immediately. My neighbor spent 2 hours trying to yank it back out with his 4WD. Finally used a chainpull tied to a tree across the road. Once again, the only vehicle up or down the street was the same diesel-dually 4WD that seems to be able to climb out (though sliding; he nearly took out my post box as I watched yesterday). We'll see if a thaw sets in. Last time (the Superbowl weekend of two years ago, I think) I got iced in, it wasn't this thick either, and I was stuck here for two days. I hate ICE. Always ICE, not snow.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Tx River Rat » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:11 am

I am 28 miles south of Waco and so far no snow or ice, keeping my fingers crossed that we missed the bullet on this one.
Ron
Tx River Rat
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby jss06 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:57 pm

We got about 3 inches of Ice and Sleet on the north side of the DFW metroplex. The temp has not been above freezing since Thursday night/Friday morning. Managed to get both our cars thawed out today so we can go to work tomorrow. That is if the roads are passable. They thawed a bit today but are supposed to refreeze tonight.

We are prepared for several more days stuck in the house so not an issue.
jss06
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Tx River Rat » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:11 pm

I have a Casita TT sitting in the drive way,it is juiced up with propane batteries charged and a gen set with extra gas. My insurance policy if we loose power are any of the
services like water or sewer.
Groceries we are good for a couple weeks.
Ron
Tx River Rat
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby 2bits » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:43 am

It iced over at my place badly and the entire canopy of trees lowered itself from the ice. 12 foot Cedar trees bent over where the tips were touching the ground, but it seems the farther South and East you go, the better it gets and I was just on the edge. My power never went out and yesterday was the big thaw here and 99% of the finally melted from the trees and the limbs are starting to rise up again. The roads are dry and it is just cold, but I have friends and family NW of me only an hour away who's power is out and has been since Thursday! I consider myself very lucky even though my flight to Colorado was cancelled Saturday so I am sitting here all weekend with nothing to do!!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Fishingtomatoseed » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:23 pm

We never lost power at our place. Got the truck unstuck yesterday and parked on the street. Came on down to the metro mess this morning. Left the house at 4:45 this morning. Took about 30 extra minutes to get here.
Talked to family Saturday night that was trying to get to home to Kansas. No luck, all the hotels where booked and the hwys closed going north of the border. Finally found them a Red cross warming center they could go to. Hope they made it home. And thank you Red Cross for establishing these.
Fishingtomatoseed
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:30 pm

Where is the thaw, and the 40 degrees the weatherman promised us? My outside temperature gauge (the good old mercury type), seems to be stuck at 30 today. Never rose above 31 degrees yesterday, despite what was reported. The only things de-icing are the car windows, nothing else. I chopped and shoveled away a route to the street yesterday (185 feet), and removed all ice from my walkways and the pad over my bar-ditch (took 4 hours), so I could attempt my 60 mile drive to work, and ended up staying here anyway. The wife never made it home, last night, after switching planes twice from NYC, and after delays etc, ended up staying near the airport. I sure hope some thaw happens today; I've got to get her home, so I can go to work tomorrow. I HATE ICE.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:54 am

Yesterday wasn't too bad although it took me two hours to drive from my house in Watuaga to my parents' house in Garland. Normally it is about an hour's drive. We never lost power and neither did my parents.

The sun is out this morning so hopefully it will burn of the lingering ice and sleet on the ground.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Fishingtomatoseed » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:32 pm

Roads are starting to look better but the bridges are still bad. Up here schools are closed again for Wednesday.
Fishingtomatoseed
Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:47 pm

Wow that is amazing what a difference there is within just 50 miles... Just glad loyd park is more South (Christmas gathering in four days) since the south metroplex got hit slightly less than the North side.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Return to South Central