Instant adhesive, any good?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Instant adhesive, any good?

Postby Arne » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:03 am

On TV, there is an ad for an 'instant' adhesive that holds hammers to ceilings after 5 seconds. I don't recall the name, but am wondering if anyone has ever used it or a similar product.

Seems like it would be an ideal way to get away from using hundreds of nailer applied brads to hold the skin on. Even on the roof it could be applied 1 rafter at a time, and after it cured, just move onto the next rafter without all the brad holes to fill.

If anyone has any information on this I'd be interested in hearing about it.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Rick Sheerin » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:32 am

Arne-
I believe the product you're refering to is Loctite Power Grab. I just bought two tubes of it the other day and plan on using it this weekend to put 1/8 ply on my roof. Just to be sure though, I'm still going to tack some brads down. I'll let you know how it works.
Rick S
1996 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17ft

Careful with that Axe, Eugene
Rick Sheerin
500 Club

Postby Arne » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:57 am

Rick, that is it... did you get it at h/d? Loctite has always had innovative products.....

Also, could you give us some feed back about how long it really takes so you can be hands off? It may hold the hammer after 5 seconds, but it may take hours before the hammer could not be pulled off.....

I would be tempted to do 1 rib at a time, with straps holding it in place... then I would use filler along the edge and CPES to bond the edge seam.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby goldcoop » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:27 am

Arne-

Any of the "GEL" type super glues work great 10-30 seconds depending on cure time. They also sell a spray accelerant to speed up the process, and a debonder if you stick your fingers together.

The best buy is a bigger bottle (not the little tubes) found primarily in hobby shops...

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby Rick Sheerin » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:54 am

Arne-
I got it at Lowe's for 3.97 a tube. I bought the tubes that fit in a caulking gun but you can get smaller tubes that don't need a gun. They also have indoor and outdoor applications (I got the outdoor one of course.)
Rick S
1996 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17ft

Careful with that Axe, Eugene
Rick Sheerin
500 Club

Postby WarPony » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:48 pm

I bought a caulking tube of that Loctite stuff and I think used it to try and glue some glass to wood for my windows and it sucked!! I was really disappointed in it's performance because I use Loctite products at work all the time so I went with the name. It's been so long ago that I don't remember the part number of the product. When it's squeezed from the tube it is white and almost seems like it was half set up because you could lay a bead down and then pick it up like a noodle. I may have not used it for the proper application but I wouldn't use it for wood bonding. I think it it is for more porous materials like brick and block.

Like I said, I may be talking about a different product than you are going to buy but if you do get some of it, try it on some scrap pieces first. If it doesn't work, you aren't out a bunch of money.
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:19 pm

goldcoop wrote:Arne-

Any of the "GEL" type super glues work great 10-30 seconds depending on cure time. They also sell a spray accelerant to speed up the process, and a debonder if you stick your fingers together.

The best buy is a bigger bottle (not the little tubes) found primarily in hobby shops...

Cheers,

Coop

Arne- I'm shure you know about those. Don't you fly R/C?
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Arne » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:01 pm

Yes, I use CA, but didn't think this was similar... I'll have to look at the ingredient list (if they publish it).

I'd like to go bradless if I can. I can use bars and straps and glue only a couple of ribs at a time, but a glue that would set up quicker than elmers would be nice.... I'm looking for a smooth exterior with only minor finishing work, or as little as possible.

I find that if I only go one or two ribs at a time, it conforms to the curve better. If I try to do the whole sheet at once, it is hard to keep 100% contact along the edges.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Arne » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:04 pm

says latex based.. 24 hour dry time. not what i was looking for.

http://www.soundprooffoam.com/loctite-power-grab-adhesive.html
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby angib » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:22 pm

Isn't there a Sod's Law of glues that says the instant strong ones are more brittle/less ductile - it's certainly true of isocyawhatsits/superglues. So there's a chance it will hold fine until the first bump in the road......

Andrew the doomsayer
"Pessimism is job #1"
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Arne » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:41 pm

That tends to be true. for one thing, on porous materials, the more soak-in time, usually the better. I'm not sure the quick bond is worse, just not as deep/secure.

That is why I like cpes on wood. It soaks in and hardens slowly....

Some anal model builders use very slow cure epoxy (24 hours) to get lots of penetration.... and of course, we all know that the deeper the penetration, but better the results.... but that's another topic..
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Artificer » Mon May 01, 2006 5:58 pm

The power grab doesn't set up quick, it just has high tack strength. If your part can't be held up with sticky bubblegum, you can't use this glue.

An alternative would be to use two glues. Titebond/Polyurethane to do the actuall holding, and a CA type glue to tack it together. The superglue only has to hold long enough to let the other glue cure. You have to be a little bit careful of how you apply the main glue, so you leave un-coated areas for the superglue. Just a thought...
Artificer
Teardrop Master

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques