water supply in container... how much?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

water supply in container... how much?

Postby oklahomajewel » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:36 pm

I am not going to have a water pump or faucet, but rather a drop in washtub. I was going to get the big blue square 7 gal water container from Walmart. It is about 15" square , I'm guessing.

Then at Bass Pro I saw one just like it that is only 2 gallons. Shorter, not as tall. I think Academy had a blue one like those too, that was 4 gallons.

On a typical 2 or 3 day campout I doubt I would use more than a couple gallons of water-- drinking, washing hands, washing off food etc. And could always keep some gallon jugs with water for backup.

Any input?
I know size and weight is what I should consider but just wondering how much water anybody really uses.

Thanks
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby madjack » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:49 pm

...Julie, get a pair of dueces or if ya think ya need it a 4 and 2...most campgrounds you go to will have water nearby....
madjack
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:20 am

I go fishing on the coast with a group of guys (around a dozen), it's our annual guys only trip. We usually camp for 2 nights at the 50mi marker which means 50mi from pavement, let alone any provisions. I bring 2 of the blue Aquatainers which is just enough for us. We resort to the drinking water if we run out.

We don't drink the water in the containers (most of our drinks come from cans) and our washing is minimal since we use paper plates etc. We mostly wash hands, shower, rinse things off.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby SteveH » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:30 am

Julie,

My teardrop has a 6 gallon water tank(about 5 gallons usable), and I frequently drain it on a three day camping weekend. Like Jack says, there's usually water available, so I carry a one gallon plastic jug to tote water to the trailer and refill the tank.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

water supply

Postby oklahomajewel » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:00 am

Good points, all.... I doubt I would use a lotta watta , and things that need it like juice, tea... would already be made at home.

Is there a reason you're not supposed to drink the water out of those blue containers? I thought they were okay for that.
And I did think about the spouts at most state parks etc but having the water right there is another plus to the teardrop -- plus having the water handy at tailgating, road trips, etc.
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Re: water supply

Postby WarPony » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:35 am

oklahomajewel wrote:Is there a reason you're not supposed to drink the water out of those blue containers? I thought they were okay for that.

I haven't heard a reason for not trusting them to drink out of.

I have one of the "blue cubes" and on all the camping I've done, I only ran out of water once. I usually bring home more than half of it. My GF's dog uses most of it.

NOTE: The reason I bring the water back is because I don't want an empty container blowing out of the back of my El Camino.
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby mercy » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:02 pm

when i go to burning man, i can drink a gallon of water a day, easily. on regular camping trips, not so much. roy and i have one 2 gallon and one 5 gallon foldable containers. we usually fill them both, but freeze the 2 gallon one solid and toss it in the cooler. the 5 would carry us through 4 days in the catskills with enough to share with people, the 2 would serve as ice for the cooler, and ice water source after the second day.

if you had to decide between the 2 and the 7, get two or three 2s. that lets you make judgement calls and fine tune what you're bringing with you.
-courtney
practice beautiful randomness and act kinda senseless
mercy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Chris C » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:06 pm

Julie,

There's no reason to distrust the blue water containers. Just watch the water you get to fill them! :thinking: Strange water is always suspect.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby Steve_Cox » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:28 pm

Julie,

When not in the conservation mode 2 of us we go through about 3 gallons a day washing hands, brushing teeth, doing dishes and making coffee in the morning. Other than that We don't drink water outa the tank, just don't care for the taste. Got a 9 gallon tank in the TD. We have a hose to fill the tank if it needs it, and always have bottled water when we are camping. Just my 2 cents.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby BrwBier » Thu May 04, 2006 6:40 pm

Chris C wrote:Julie,

There's no reason to distrust the blue water containers. Just watch the water you get to fill them! :thinking: Strange water is always suspect.

That is the reason all explorers took a brewer along on voyages, they knew that beer was safe to drink, they just didn't know that boiling it was the reason. Beer is also the reason that the pilgrims got out at Plymouth Rock. They were running out of beer and just wanted to get rid of the passengers. My point is drink beer, don't drink the water, fish **** in it.
Brwbier
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby sid » Thu May 11, 2006 11:22 am

Hey Julie,

We opted for 2 each 2 1/2 gallon containers. It makes them much easier to handle and gives more options on where they will fit.

Here is a link to the 2 1/2 gal square ones, which were much harder to find than the round ones, but I think they work out the best. I could not find this size locally, so I ordered from this company.

http://www.campingsurvival.com/reaq255gawac.html

:cheerswine:

sid n side
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Postby 53clipper » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:32 pm

For drinking water, I freeze gallon jugs, or 2 litre soda bottles, of water, (lid off) upright in the freezer, and put them in the ice box. :)
For "everyday water" I take along the rectangle jugs that cat litter comes in, 7 lb. size (about a gallon), or 14 lb. size, (about 2 gallon). As they are not round, they fit in small spaces, and if I don't want to take them home, I can throw them away. ;)
RVing, and fixing them since 1968.
Never drink and drive, ever.
53clipper
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dacrazyrn » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:49 pm

Just as a rule of thumb (mainly for hiking/backpacking), I go by, a minimum of 1 gallon of water per person/per day for drinking. Then figure out the rest is extra.
dacrazyrn
Teardrop Master

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:46 pm

Hey lots of good ideas here. I take a gal per person (4 bottles) to drink and a 5 gal. for washing. I also take a gal. well marked, with a 1/4 cup of bleach for disinfecting things and hands.

Miriam
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby 48Rob » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:27 pm

Julie,

When they're new, the blue containers make the water taste like plastic?

After a season or two, the possibility exists that something has been growing in that moist environment in the off season.
And of course there is always the chance that something crawled in...

Kinda like swimming in a murky pool, there's probably nothing down there waiting to pull you under, but the comfort level sure goes up when you can see the bottom :o

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Next

Return to Camping Secrets