Hot springs Ak

Texas, New Mexico, Louisiana, Arkansas & Oklahoma

Moderator: 2bits

Hot springs Ak

Postby RandyG » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:18 pm

We are going to Hot Springs this week. Has anyone been there that can share some good site in the area? Not staying long, I have this week off of work but still need to work on the trailer.
Randy
Aircraft fabricator, novice carpenter, electrical apprentice, audio engineer dropout.
Build thread - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54126
RandyG
500 Club

Re: Hot springs Ak

Postby reo-ron » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:46 pm

If you want to be around one of the lakes, Ouchita is nice esp. Brady Mt. If your futher south Lake Catherine state park or Lake Degray is nice just depends on where you're gonna be in the Hot Springs area. It is also surrounded by Nat'l Forest with lots of trails. I think the Horse Races are even happening at Oaklawn Park.
Have fun
Ron in Tulsa ( but from Hot Spring area :) )
Old cars, trucks, trailers and scooters - bought, sold, traded and enthusiastically talked about.
reo-ron
The 300 Club

Postby reo-ron » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:51 pm

I assume you're really going to Hot Springs , Arkansas (AR) not AK ? If you really are going to Alaska I hope you don't have to camp! :?
Old cars, trucks, trailers and scooters - bought, sold, traded and enthusiastically talked about.
reo-ron
The 300 Club

Postby RandyG » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:57 pm

Yes it is Ar, :? blonde moment there. We'll check out Catherine lake since we are coming from Louisiana. Thanks!
Randy
Aircraft fabricator, novice carpenter, electrical apprentice, audio engineer dropout.
RandyG
500 Club

Postby razorback » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:02 pm

This is my favorite place to camp if you want close to the actual town of Hot Springs. It is part of the National Park system. It is in Gulpha Gorge and is really beautiful along the creek. It is a first come first serve park. No reservations taken.
Gulpha Gorge Campground is located off US Hwy 70B on the east side of Hot Springs. For GPS directions, the physical address is 305 Gorge Road, Hot Springs AR 71901.
It has restrooms but no showers. $24.00 per night unless you have the Golden Age pass, then it is 12.00 per night.
http://www.nps.gov/hosp/planyourvisit/campground.htm
Larry
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby razorback » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:12 pm

lake catherine park is really beautiful if you want to be on a lake. It is 14.3 miles to Oaklawn Park.
Gulpha gorge park is 4.3 miles to Oaklawn Park.
You can make reservations at Lake Catherine Park but you can not make reservations at Gulpha Gorge National Park campgrounds.
Larry
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby RandyG » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:02 pm

We just got back. It is a really neat place! We decided not to camp since the trailer isnt done yet and it was pretty cold. But we still had fun climbing a couple of the mountains "or hills".
Randy
RandyG
500 Club

Postby queeniejeanne » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:54 am

I know you guys are back and all. but Larry you are right. Gulpha Gorge is our favorite. but the hiking trial at Lake Catherine is one of the best in that area. Queenie Jeanne
HEY a tiny trailer. Whatever it takes.
queeniejeanne
Lifetime member

Return to South Central