Should I make or buy doors

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: Should I make or buy doors

Postby rowerwet » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:58 am

it took me 3 tries but I got a door that is nearly leak proof, in the future I will use the cut out to make my doors and then add the inner frame like bobhenry showed. with that and an eyebrow above the door, even if the door warps there won't be a leak.
I built my doors using the same method I built my sidewalls
gallery/album.php?album_id=3189
the only thing I would add for the next build is a outward sloping bevel to the top of the door and an outward sloping bevel to the bottom of the door hole in the tear. Gravity and surface tension do the real work.
each door took a few hours over a few days, mostly because of drying time for the glue.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Sultan » Fri May 30, 2014 8:43 am

Well here goes my first post on this forum! I have found one site that sells premade doors yet I want to build a stand. So can anyone give me insight on where to buy premade doors? Thx!
Sultan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby grant whipp » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:12 pm

Sultan wrote:Well here goes my first post on this forum! I have found one site that sells premade doors yet I want to build a stand. So can anyone give me insight on where to buy premade doors? Thx!

What style of door are you looking for... radius-corner or mitered corner? Have you tried Googling RV Door Mfgs. and see what comes up? I know of several door mfgs. like Phillips, Elixir, Statewide, and Amerimax, but you'll have to check them out to see if they have what you are looking for. All-Rite Aluminum will build you any kind of door you want, in almost any size, but you'd better have a very d-e-e-e-e-p wallet ... :frightened: ...!

Good Luck, and as always ...

CHEERS!
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby mallymal » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:56 pm

Here in the good ole U K, some of the cheapest teardrop suitable doors are made by people who sell horsebox components. They do off the peg sizes and custom sizes at what seem like decent prices.

Don't even know if you call a horse box a horse box.... Basically a truck for carrying horses to events, and usually with a separate "groom's door".

The supplier I've been looking sells for example a rounded radius door, mill finish ally, 600mm x 900mm ( just under 24" x 36"). No window but includes lock, frame and seal. £130 (about 220 dollars).

So maybe google horsebox parts....
mallymal
The 300 Club

Postby Sultan » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:52 pm

Thanks Grant and Mallymel. We are still in the paper and pencil stage and we are just looking for ideas. Currently the idea is a standy and the few doors I have found have the wrong type of outside finish.

Haven't heard of a housebox put we do have house trailers. And oddly enough I fly to the UK in a few hours;-)
Sultan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mallymal » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:24 am

No, no, not HOUSEbox... hORSE box

mallymal
The 300 Club

Postby NathanL » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:14 pm

Horse trailers in the US and those doors are often referred to as feed doors.
NathanL
The 300 Club

Postby Sultan » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:07 pm

sorry I meant horse but my thumb tying on my phone isn't very good....
Sultan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Heyman71 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:52 pm

I have calculated the aprox cost of building vs buying if using new materials. Yes it is cheaper I'm sure....if you don't mess up, if it doesn't warp, leak, or if you just want a custom door for a certain look it is the only way to get it. I believe I will be going the manufactured route on my first build for piece of mind and to save time since I want a modern look anyway. I would like 2 doors but at this time expense will hold me to only 1 and will add another later unless I can find some good deals. These doors are not that easy to look up from manufacturers even though I have searched under names mentioned and know they are feed doors from horse livestock trailers mainly drop down window horse trailers. My question is where are the better prices you have found to purchase doors similar to the style the Little Guy World Wide uses. I know there are several TD manufactures on this site that sell parts at much different prices. PM me if you like. Thanks

Heyman
Heyman71
Teardrop Inspector

Postby albion2 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:37 pm

Its called a LOOSE BOX in the horse racing fraternity.
albion2
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques