The ROAM Camper Build

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Re: The ROAM Camper Build

Postby fireballmatt » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:19 pm

Quick question, I didn't see it mentioned earlier in the thread.

Where did you find the tent piece for the little front pop-up? Did you stitch it yourself or send measurements to someone to have it made?

Great build! Looks sturdy ;)
fireballmatt
Teardrop Inspector

Postby titanpat57 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:09 am

Thanks Fireballmatt

That's something I constructed from some leftover Sunbrella materials I had. Its OK, but looking back I probably would've been better to have it made by a professional.... But it works.
titanpat57
Donating Member

Postby fireballmatt » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:56 am

Thanks!

I had thoughts of doing the same but don't have a sewing machine that can handle thicker canvas. Will probably wind up finding a professional shop somewhere to send patterns to.
fireballmatt
Teardrop Inspector

Postby robm7 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:20 pm

love your build I was wondering what did you use to seam the frp panels when you did the outside?
robm7
Teardrop Inspector

Postby woytovich » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:33 pm

Saw this in person last week... quite a pulled together build...! VERY nice. :applause: :applause: :applause:
Mark - Metro New York
Toyota Land Cruisers: '66, '78 and '86
'03 Yukon XL, 2500/8.1 liter/8 lug + 18' 10k Car Trailer
M416 1/4 ton Military trailer - SOLD
5x8 Cargo/Camper - for sale soon
woytovich
Teardrop Master

Postby titanpat57 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:24 am

@robm7..

Thank you...the FRP was spray contact cemented on with Norton 15 min epoxy at all seams. The years are taking a toll as is cold/ heat cycles as well. Small hairlines cracks are developing. I'm going to eventually have alumi num bent and cover the nose seams.

@Mark...thanks!! :thumbsup:

From the Vermont Overland Rally

titanpat57
Donating Member

Postby titanpat57 » Wed May 20, 2015 3:00 pm

I thought it might be a good time for an update, as things are transforming and have changed a bit. As I use the trailer, it keeps evolving.

I recently added a Foxwing Awing, and purchased 4 tapered sidewalls. Having set the entire thing up for a 5 day stay at Twin Grove Campground while attending the 8th annual FJNortheasters Run at Rausch Creek, I'm thrilled with my decision to go this route. As some of you may know, the 11' x 11' military Command Post Tent is for sale, local pickup only.

It was pretty windy when I started to set it up, so I connected a 5 gal. water can to the arms to prevent them from lifting while I set it up. Nine times out of ten I'm alone, so I figured I might as well figure out how to do it by myself. Once it is properly anchored, it's very solid. It was a nice break from the heavier fabric and frame of the other tent. Being it was so windy during the entire setup, the zipping and anchoring of the walls took some ingenuity. The overall quality of the walls and awning appear to be very good, and the fabric/zippers/anchor points look to be durable. I will update this if need be in future, with extended use pros and cons.

It's actually a bit bigger inside than the old setup, and the angled walls worked much better than I originally thought. The tapered walls add an additional few feet against the outside perimeter, making it even more cavernous. One down side is, it is better set up on flatter ground, as the nature of the tapered panels takes a bit of fitting to conform to uneven terrain, and because of the sheer size, it was not quite as easy to fit to a standard a pull through trailer lot designed to accommodate a travel trailer. There was a sloping hill on two sides of my lot that added a different challenge, but all in all, it worked out.

Another item that will have to be worked out, is closing up the areas between the trailer and awning at the top where it meets the camper, and addressing some sort of zippered entrance door. The way it stands right now, I entered on the kitchen side, between the drop down counter and awning pole. If the bugs were bad, it would've been hard to close up those areas. I think to do it properly, so it looks decent and actually works, I may have to purchase one more tapered wall,and a straight wall, and sew them together. Oz Tent should consider manufacturing window/screen windows in the walls, as knock off Chinese manufacturers have already come out with them.

Immediate future changes include the elimination of the front raising tent section/lid on the camper. It has been a source of occasional leaks (and with the sleeping bags and pillows stored in the nose, it will only be wet when you pull into camp tired, want to set up for bed, and go to sleep right away), and after I opened it up this year, water absorbing into the foam seal (note to self...NEVER use foam to try to create a seal with wood, ALWAYS use rubber), has caused water damage to the birch plywood on the lid, and now it's delaminating. I will fill it in solid, and install new FRP, and new aluminum arms to accommodate my solar panel. another change will be the addition of a Fantastic Fan centered in the ceiling (to make up for the ventilation lost in the front). With the replacement of the front FRP, all the seams will get a new custom bent aluminum trim. Even though the FRP was completely contact cemented, and all joints epoxied, the expansion and contraction of the various materials, make it a source of maintenance and work to keep the nose sealed. After speaking with Tom Hanagan, (who is an absolute wealth of knowledge and experience) from Four Wheel Campers I have a solution to address this, a trim piece coupled with a proper sealant to assure it will never be a problem again.

I also got a visit from my buddy Antman, who brought along his 7 year old daughter on her first big campout...what a great kid, we a good time! He brought his 4Runner and his ARB awning room...worked out nicely!

Now for some pictures...and as always, happy exploring and thanks for looking.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

A picture that shows some of the gap I 'm talking about.
titanpat57
Donating Member

Postby CHMLEON » Thu May 21, 2015 7:38 am

I enjoyed checking out your build. Excellent craftsmanship! :applause:
CHMLEON
Teardrop Inspector

Postby woytovich » Thu May 21, 2015 7:50 am

You should see it in person... outstanding!
Mark - Metro New York
Toyota Land Cruisers: '66, '78 and '86
'03 Yukon XL, 2500/8.1 liter/8 lug + 18' 10k Car Trailer
M416 1/4 ton Military trailer - SOLD
5x8 Cargo/Camper - for sale soon
woytovich
Teardrop Master

Postby titanpat57 » Thu May 21, 2015 10:02 pm

CHMLEON wrote:I enjoyed checking out your build. Excellent craftsmanship! :applause:

Thank you!

I'll post the improvements as I go. Five years is starting show, so it's time to freshen a few things up.
titanpat57
Donating Member

Postby titanpat57 » Thu May 21, 2015 10:05 pm

woytovich wrote:You should see it in person... outstanding!

Thank you, Mark...hoping you can make the MAOF or VOR this year. I don't think I'll be able to pull off CMCC.
titanpat57
Donating Member

Postby MTalon » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:42 pm

This thing is really great! When I saw your tent it immediately gave me flashbacks to my days in the military. We used the exact tent to setup our satellite and networking equipment in when we were in the field. That thing withstood some serious weather punishment!
MTalon
Teardrop Inspector

Postby titanpat57 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:26 pm

MTalon wrote:This thing is really great! When I saw your tent it immediately gave me flashbacks to my days in the military. We used the exact tent to setup our satellite and networking equipment in when we were in the field. That thing withstood some serious weather punishment!

Thank you very much...couldn't agree more!

I just tired of putting up and down by myself, and it is for sale if you know in one in the NE looking for a portable bomb shelter...lol.

Thank you for your service! :beer:

On another note, I was saving this but being I'm in the process of working on it, I decided to throw it in here.

The front lid/ tent section, which seemed like a really good idea at the time, had developed a little delamination in one corner. Note to self: always use rubber weatherstrip, not foam.

I decided that I actually wanted more natural light inside, so now was time to kill two birds with stone. The lid also had a phantom leak that I could never duplicate, but caused the bedding to become damp a few times.

I took off the lid/tent section and started from scratch. Here's the progress to date. I'm getting ready to assemble the frame for the lexan, and will get that mounted tomorrow. I'll update as it progresses.

As you cam see, it allows a copious amount of light to the interior.

and after Sundays progress...

I made the window frame from Azek, but it had to be routed out for the Lexan, and rabbited to inlay into the opening. The new skin went on with out any drama. I ran it the opposite direction , so the small seams are at the top, and will seal easy

Tonight I'll get it sanded and painted, and hopefully set before tomorrows thunderstorms. I'm also having an aluminum molding bent to cover the seams at the. corners

Some more Sunday progress..heat was pretty oppressive.

Finally finished...next stop Mid Atlantic Overland Festival....http://www.overlandfestival.com/

titanpat57
Donating Member

Postby greygoos » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:25 am

WOW I really liked your design and workmanship. I am in the process of designing my own camper and was wondering about the FRP. I read about the delaminating in the corners but was wondering on the overall condition of the panels at this time. Is there anything you might have done differently with the initial painting or upkeep. Thank you
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby titanpat57 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:06 pm

greygoos wrote:WOW I really liked your design and workmanship. I am in the process of designing my own camper and was wondering about the FRP. I read about the delaminating in the corners but was wondering on the overall condition of the panels at this time. Is there anything you might have done differently with the initial painting or upkeep. Thank you

Thank you very much for the compliments.

The FRP is holding up fine, I had aluminum bent for the problem corners, so they'll be fine.

The original process was lightly sand the panels, apply Rustloeum plastic white primer, and then applied Rustloeum Silver. It starting to show its age, so I'm going to try and coat it before winter.

My number one recommendation is to really think your seam locations through...or bite the bullet and get Filon to cover without any seams. This one will be for sale and the new one will be Filon for sure.
titanpat57
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets