Building the "Heart of Gold" - Done 3/9/2014

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Building the "Heart of Gold" - Done 3/9/2014

Postby Phooey » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:51 pm

Your teardrop is beautiful! I have an FJ also and was wondering how much "cutting" you had to do for your Freedom windows? I haven't really done any mods to mine but those windows look really great. I'm just a little skittish about slicing and dicing my little silver baby.

What part of El Cerrito are you in? My Uncles and Aunt lived up on Seaview Terrace for years and my cousin still lives in Kensington.
Phooey
Teardrop Master

Postby capnTelescope » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:44 pm

David S wrote:I was taught to tighten the bearings all the way and then back off to the first hole the pin will go in.
A bit of play is much better than to tight.

+1 what David said. That's the generally accepted procedure. :thumbsup:

Also +1 that the Heart of Gold looks great! :thumbsup: :applause:
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby drewh1 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:40 pm

capnTelescope wrote:+1 what David said. That's the generally accepted procedure.

Also +1 that the Heart of Gold looks great!

thanks!

Phooey wrote:Your teardrop is beautiful! I have an FJ also and was wondering how much "cutting" you had to do for your Freedom windows? I haven't really done any mods to mine but those windows look really great. I'm just a little skittish about slicing and dicing my little silver baby.

What part of El Cerrito are you in? My Uncles and Aunt lived up on Seaview Terrace for years and my cousin still lives in Kensington.

hey, thanks for the complement! You only have to remove the original window by cutting through the glue and plastic retainer pins. It is a real PITA to do so I only did one. You have to drill a couple of holes for the hinges and closure but don't damage the body in any way. The original window can always be re-installed (by a professional)

I only installed one for my dog as he loves to stick his head out the back. I sold the other window. I am not so impressed with the quality actually, the hinges are pretty flimsy and it is really a pain to get the freedom window back in upon removal. Not sure I would do it again.

I am over by cutting, but just sold a house off of Balra, above the high school!

drew.
"If only I knew what I know now when I started . . ."

My Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=56916
drewh1
Donating Member

Postby Phooey » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:21 am

Thank you. Maybe I will wait awhile until they get all the bugs out. :thinking:

It's been a long time since I was driving around down there. All my old landmarks seem to have vanished. Maybe I should go exploring and scare my cousin out of his socks. :)
Phooey
Teardrop Master

Postby drewh1 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:27 pm

Finally Added this cool little side table for water. I had been thinking about it for awhile. I made the bottom support attach to the trailer so I wouldn't have to worry about an adjustable support for unlevel ground.

IMG_2814.JPG
IMG_2814.JPG (120.88 KiB) Viewed 2996 times
IMG_2813.JPG
IMG_2813.JPG (129.88 KiB) Viewed 2996 times

drewh1
Donating Member

Postby drewh1 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:30 pm

Another Awesome camping trip to Mendocino Coast. Really nice up there. Finally got to use my 4 wheel drive as I had to pull through some sand. Even made pancakes for Breakfast!

IMG_2815.JPG
IMG_2815.JPG (102.74 KiB) Viewed 3027 times
IMG_2820.JPG
IMG_2820.JPG (147.92 KiB) Viewed 3027 times
IMG_2828.JPG
IMG_2828.JPG (83.2 KiB) Viewed 3027 times

drewh1
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:33 pm

Now that's living the good life! :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Re: Building the "Heart of Gold" - started!

Postby nhstt » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:45 pm

drewh1 wrote:Got er skinned! seemed like a big step to close it up. I checked all the electrical again before doing it. I ordered the CPES to coat the outside. Next, I will start ordering aluminum. I am going to have to rent a truck to go pick it up.

Now I just have to skin the hatch and build my tongue box. I think I'll be ready for the April 1st opening of Ocean Cove!

IMG_2591.JPG
IMG_2592.JPG

Where did you get the CPES from and what do you uses as a filler with it? I'm using exterior paint when done and not sure what products are compatible :?

Karen at the Ladybug-out build journal viewtopic.php?f=50&t=55602
nhstt
Teardrop Master

Postby drewh1 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:52 pm

Hey - I got everything at the Rot Doctor (Rotdoctor.com). I believe the site has all the information you need on compatibility and you can always contact them.

I purchased an epoxy filler from them and found it very easy to mix and work with.

drew.

drewh1
Donating Member

Postby Strop » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:54 pm

Hi Drew,

Like the build and I have a couple of questions for you if you don't mind :)

I was pointed at your build journal due to you using the hatch strut mechanism you have. I only just saw it for the first time a few days ago. I like it more than the look of struts, but how does it compare to struts when opening and closing the hatch? You would have to be careful otherwise it will just slam down I imagine?

I saw that you also reinforced it with aluminium. Would it be possible to get some dimensions on the mechanism so I can think about how it needs to be incorporated into my planning? Photos appreciated.

Thanks again,

Laurie
Strop
Teardrop Master

Postby drewh1 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:52 am

Hi Laurie,

Thanks for the complement. It is true, the hatch support idea (stolen from Campin Campers) requires some strength to lift the hatch and care when closing. I really haven't had any problems with it though. I reinforced the wooden piece with supports because although the wood looks nice, it is really not strong enough. Partly because I didn't leave enough space to make the piece of wood thick enough. It is ok though because I don't mind the look of the reinforcement, kind of fits with the overall asthetic I think! Do I still prefer it over struts, I think so because it is simple and failproof.

One of the main problems I had with the hatch support was fitting it into the small space between the hatch and the counter top. This of course was just poor planning. If there had been more room there, I probably would have made it longer to lift the hatch another inch or so.

I really don't have dimensions as I kind of winged it through trial and error. The length and shape of the hatch support and slide will really depend on the geometry of your hatch. I tried to make the support shape mirror the contour of the hatch. Check this thread for more ideas "Camp-Inn style rear hatch support? " I can send you some more detailed photos if that would help you.

drew.

drewh1
Donating Member

Postby RyanB » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:10 pm

Hi Drew,

Newbie here and love a lot of what you did on your build. Will certainly be referring back to your thread often for inspiration.

I see you like to camp at Ocean Cove a lot as well! My father puts on an Abalone feed there every year. Usually camp for 4-5 days once a year for that. I am hoping I can get a TD put together in time for next years event. Usually Early/mid august.

Thanks for the detailed pictures and posts you put here in your build thread!

~Ryan
RyanB
Teardrop Inspector

Postby drewh1 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:22 am

Hey Ryan,

Thanks for checking my build out! Let me know if you have any questions and make sure to check out all the other great build journals. There are many different ways to get it done and you will find the ones that work best for you.

Good luck with your build and I hope to admire your TD and eat some abalone with you at Ocean Cove next year.

drew

drewh1
Donating Member

Postby RAB64 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:11 pm

What type/# of Henry's did you use?
RAB64
Teardrop Inspector

Postby drewh1 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:35 pm

Hmm, that is a good question. I am pretty sure it was the Asphalt Emulsion Sealer and dampproofer. I put it on thick with a roller in the warm weather and it dried pretty quickly. I put it on until the can was empty, probably three coats.

drewh1
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals