Mattress Question

Postby Classic Finn » Fri May 12, 2006 5:16 pm

We would like to know as to what phase of the build do you folks usually
go out and buy the mattress so you dont have to squeeze it in through
the doors? :thinking:

We stopped off at a place and found some real nice ones and some real
bad quality ones.. as well.

What price range have you purchased for your tear? Is there a special
kind we should look for as far as a mold protectant or ???

What thickness is preferable? Or is it a matter of preference or individual
liking?

Classic Finn :D
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Ken A Hood » Fri May 12, 2006 5:24 pm

When I finally get started :o I plan on using the "memory foam" which can be rolled up and put in/out thru the door.
I know some have used a "real" mattress, and built their tear around it. But what happens if you ever need to take it out? a water leak, spilled drink, worn out or an "accident" during the night....... :oops:

I'll probably use 2 layers, cut length-wise since my "better-half" tends to flop around while sleeping, and I rarely move once I hit the pillow....

Go [Team]Canada Go!
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby Ron Dickey » Fri May 12, 2006 5:52 pm

We too have not got that far and we few if more as a hardsided tent for now and will be using blowup mattress untill we find we want better.

But you have a very good point about fitting it in.

Ron D.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Joamon » Fri May 12, 2006 6:00 pm

I have not purchased the mattress yet, but I did build it so that the lower galley could be removed in about 30 min. or so. ( the electric would be a little more difficult but it can be done) I think I'm going to buy a custom made futon with inner springs that can be folded and put in through the door. There are so many options as far as a mattress choice goes.
Good Luck Keith
Joamon
Teardrop Master

Postby 48Rob » Fri May 12, 2006 6:05 pm

In my first tear, I put the mattress in, and built the tear around it.
It did/does have provisions to remove it through the galley if needed.

With the cabin car, we used an inner spring futon mattress.
The comfort and quality are right up there with a "regular" mattress (as is price, $200+) but unlike a regular one, it can be folded to fit through a small door.

No matter what type mattress I was going to use, I would always at least know what size I was going to use before buiding the tear.

Some mattresses are 4" thick, some 8", some more.
Knowing all the measurements makes cabinet and door placements much easier, and in the end, more comfortable to use.

The thickness you choose should be based on the desired comfort level, the amount of weight your design will accept, the door opening height from the floor, and how much clearance you want/need between the mattress and cabinets, if present or planned.

I'm not aware of a mattress that inhibits mold...?
Keep the trailer leak free and aired out, and you shouldn't have any troubles

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby alaska teardrop » Fri May 12, 2006 6:55 pm

Shoot Heikki,
    Thought you'd be sleeping on Reindeer hides? :lol:
Fred
    :peace:
Are you light all night yet? :relaxing:
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Fri May 12, 2006 7:32 pm

48Rob wrote:
Some mattresses are 4" thick, some 8", some more.
Knowing all the measurements makes cabinet and door placements much easier, and in the end, more comfortable to use.

The thickness you choose should be based on the desired comfort level, the amount of weight your design will accept, the door opening height from the floor, and how much clearance you want/need between the mattress and cabinets,

Rob

Heikki, Rob knows that I am no "light weight", but I use a 4" "medium" firmness, "Knox foam" mattress in my tear. It is very comfortable and I'm very glad I decided to replace my air mattress. I don't feel as if I am bottoming out on the floor when I sit up in the tear and it does a great job for sleeping comfort.
By using a foam mattress, you can easily remove it and easily put on the sheets inside the trailer. Obviously, I really like it. :thumbsup:

I have no idea what's available in Finland, but as far as I'm concerned, this has been a great choice for me.
Another side benefit is that it can be used in the house if needed for guests to sleep on. :thinking:
http://knoxfoam.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.ex ... ?E+scstore

Decisions Decisions Decisions Decisions!! :roll:
Last edited by Kurt (Indiana) on Fri May 12, 2006 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby PaulC » Fri May 12, 2006 7:33 pm

Heikki, We have used a 100mm(4") high density foam mattress in our trailer. We can remove and replace at will through our doors. It is almost as comfortable as our bed at home.
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Fri May 12, 2006 7:35 pm

PaulC wrote: It is almost as comfortable as our bed at home.
:thumbsup:

Paul, I find that I usually sleep better in the teardrop than at home. Maybe the food and beverage menu is a little better on teardrop time. :thinking:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby PaulC » Fri May 12, 2006 7:52 pm

Kurt (Indiana) wrote:
PaulC wrote: It is almost as comfortable as our bed at home.
:thumbsup:

Paul, I find that I usually sleep better in the teardrop than at home. Maybe the food and beverage menu is a little better on teardrop time. :thinking:

Hi Kurt, I must admit that both the Handbrake and I have made the same statement. Maybe it is the "lifestyle" when Teardropping. :lol:
Cheers
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Fri May 12, 2006 8:02 pm

Heikki,
IMO Gage is the guy to talk to about mattress questions and concerns...
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Fri May 12, 2006 9:09 pm

PaulC wrote:Maybe it is the "lifestyle" when Teardropping. :lol:
Cheers

Paul, I think you're on to something. Last weekend I had a pinched nerve (attack) Thursday night and after a trip to the emergency room, was on pain killers for the rest of the weekend.
Even though the life style is usually very condusive to relaxation and sleeping well, the whole weekend is quite vague to me now. I know I had a good time (at least that's what others told me). We couldn't have asked for better camping conditions. but the whole weekend seemed to be a big "buzz" for me. :?
Oh well, that's teardroppin'.
The next outing (Galen's Bluegrass festival in OHIO) should turn out better as far as my memory is concerned. :thumbsup:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Ken A Hood » Fri May 12, 2006 9:21 pm

I generally camp in provincal parks, which are quieter (no noise after 10-11 pm) and since there are lots of trees, it gets darker earlier. And no street lights either, just the occasional car.

And when I'm at home I'll stay up till 1-2 am, but when camping I'm pooped by 11 pm.....

Man I gotta start my build................ :ilovecamp:
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby Namsayn » Fri May 12, 2006 9:22 pm

Heikki,
We have recently placed an 8 inch thick Termperpedic mattress in our TD. It was quite a squeeze but we were successful. Wouldn't want to do it often but it can be done. Boy, is that baby comfortable!
BTW we have a 5 X 10 TD with two doors. I have read many discussions/arguments regarding one door vs. two and I can say that getting such a thick mattress inside would have been nearly impossible without two doors.
Good luck,
Randy
Namsayn
Silver Donating Member

Postby PresTx82 » Sat May 13, 2006 2:21 am

I thought most Teardroppers used the air mattress for their Tears! You can get a Coleman Queen size on sale for about $20.00. I did.
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion