Finally pursuing my dream

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Finally pursuing my dream

Postby supertiki » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:32 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm Sara Newman, a mechanical engineer from Louisville, KY. I've always dreamed about designing small spaces. I love to organize and re-organize and create new ways to optimize space. I think this is the perfect project to get into for me. My husband and I love camping, though we've never had a trailer. I plan on starting from a new trailer (HF or NT) but trying to do things like doors and windows myself to save on cost. I'm most excited about the galley design as it has a great deal of potential for creative uses of space. This project will certainly improve my shop skills (I have some experience from work at GE Appliances, but not much with woodwork) and I totally plan on buying that awesome manual! I want to keep the price low but not dirt cheap. We want this to last many years and be exactly what we want. My husband (by school a mechanical engineer, by trade an accountant/business consultant) is very supportive of this endeavor and keeps encouraging me to think outside the typical designs box. I would love to be a part of this community and plan to document my build of course! Any and all input is VERY much appreciated! :)
supertiki
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Finally pursuing my dream

Postby pchast » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:35 pm

Welcome!
:D
Lots of support is available here.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby cherokeegeorge » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:53 pm

Welcome, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the galley.
George

For info on hitch covers
Teardrophitchcovers.com
cherokeegeorge
A Merkin Indian

Postby nevadatear » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:12 pm

Sounds like you two will have a great build and fun doing it. Welcome, i look forward to following your fun. Galley was my favorite part too!
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:29 pm

nevadatear wrote:Sounds like you two will have a great build and fun doing it. Welcome, i look forward to following your fun. Galley was my favorite part too!

Ditto what Debbie and Randy said. I look forward to watching your build develop!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby citylights » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:20 pm

Go for it! A little advice from a fellow engineer... Plan it, but don't over think it. At some point you have to just go build! 8)
citylights
500 Club

Postby supertiki » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:13 am

Thanks! That is certainly good advice :) There's so much I don't know which keeps my planning to a minimum I think haha!
supertiki
Teardrop Inspector

Postby citylights » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:14 pm

supertiki wrote:Thanks! That is certainly good advice :) There's so much I don't know which keeps my planning to a minimum I think haha!

Looking over a few of the good build logs and seeing the progression got me over that hump. There will always be challenges that come up. They are just opportunities for enhancement!
citylights
500 Club

Postby lee senn » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:32 pm

Welcome Supertiki and hubby. I look forward to seeing your build and your ideas. I would suggest that you go to at least one, preferably more, of the gatherings in your area. You can then see many builds in one place and talk to the folks that built them. That is what my wife, Norma, and I did and it was invaluable. I probably drove them crazy with all my questions but they never failed to patiently answer every question. We built on the NT trailer and I highly recommend it. The price is a little higher than HF but I think the quality is worth it. If you watch their web site you can often catch their heavy duty trailer on sale with free freight. As to windows and such you can often snag them at junkyards. It seems to me that every junkyard in the U.S. of A has a corner full of stick built RVs. Lee and Norma
lee senn
Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves