Axle specs........I might have just started my build.

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Axle specs........I might have just started my build.

Postby Ken A Hood » Sat May 13, 2006 6:05 pm

I'm looking at building a utility trailer (2"x2" square stock frame).
I would like to use a torsion axle,#0550035 downrated to 1800 lbs.
He are the specs I'm looking for:
> 10 degree up-angle (equivalent to a 4" drop tube axle)
> 5 on 4 1/2" spacing with ez lube bearings or equivalent, high speed/rated spindles
> Painted depending on what type of paint is used.
> outside frame dimension is 66" and I would require the axle to clear approx. 2" (each side) past the outside frame dimension (I plan on carrying the side wall down to cover the tube frame.

Does this sound do-able? I just fired off an email to the "local" flexride axle supplier. I want to run the walls down past the 2"x2" frame, and have enough clearance for the trailing arms. I'm going wider than 5' wide, since I want the inside at least "queen-sized" and plan on heading to a tralier shop for the wider aluminum; and taller than 4' probably around 56" high, and plan on "stick" frame walls with insulation.
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Sat May 13, 2006 6:39 pm

I am just a little ahead of you. I just cut all my steel up today. I am using 2x2 x.125 and a Flexride torsion axle. 2x2x.250 for the tongue. http://etrailerpart.com/torsionaxles.htm They are adjustable in ride height. Available in many sizes. This is the place to ask, there are many very knowledgable builders here. It was suggested to me to weld on a 3x3x.250 angle iron to the 2" to attach the axle and drill several holes so the axle can be moved back and forth to adjust your weight to get the correct tongue weight. This will raise you up another 1". Good Luck! :thumbsup:
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Ken A Hood » Sat May 13, 2006 7:04 pm

I actually emailed them in the past, when I started looking for an axle; but they kinda gave me the run-around when it came to shipping to Canada..... :thumbdown: And I'm sure it would have cost more than the axle.
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques