Ice chest in galley or car?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Ice chest in galley or car?

Postby Italia » Mon May 15, 2006 1:13 pm

We are trying to decided if we want the ice chest in the galley, which takes up storage room. Or lift it out of the car, but it can be heavy for the ladies. How do you have your ice chest? And do you like it where it is? Would like to know pros and cons. Or what about a fridge?

Thanks,
Italia
Italia
Teardrop Master

Postby SteveH » Mon May 15, 2006 1:19 pm

Mine's in the galley and I like it there. One of the things I wanted when I built the trailer was all galley stuff in the galley. I already have enough other stuff in the vehicle. Mine's on a slide out so you do not have to lift it for access when it's heavily loaded. Works great for me.

SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Ken A Hood » Mon May 15, 2006 1:20 pm

I plan on putting my cooler in the galley for a couple reasons.
1) I plan on insulating the hatch; and therefore the galley will be cooler than in a vehicle and keep the ice longer
2) A car isn't insulated; and they can get really hot; even if your cooler is in the trunk.
3) It's convienent; and I'll keep other food etc. in the car. Chips, etc...

All I need to do know is start building....
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Mon May 15, 2006 1:43 pm

I plan on putting mine in the Galley with a pass-through so I can get in from the cabin.

Miriam
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Joseph » Mon May 15, 2006 1:50 pm

I camp in serious black bear country so I keep mine in the back of the truck, scrupulously cleaned and locked under a hard tonneau cover.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby asianflava » Mon May 15, 2006 1:51 pm

Both

I have one in the galley that has drinks

Another smaller one in car that holds food. I don't want the critters tearing up the galley trying to get the food.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Ira » Mon May 15, 2006 2:27 pm

I'm keeping it away from the galley:

First--got a truck, so no space problem.

Second--I want to maximize galley space.

Finally--I'm going to use two large coolers also (one for just drinks). And I wouldn't want that weight there.

Plus, I don't think they make a slide-out shelf that's going to support the size cooler I have in mind, with all of that ice, and all of that BUD!
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Re: Ice chest in galley or car?

Postby Steve_Cox » Mon May 15, 2006 3:03 pm

Italia wrote:We are trying to decided if we want the ice chest in the galley, which takes up storage room. Or lift it out of the car, but it can be heavy for the ladies. How do you have your ice chest? And do you like it where it is? Would like to know pros and cons. Or what about a fridge?

Thanks,
Italia

Italia,

We plan to camp sometimes where there might be bears, so we don't keep food in the teardrop. Hope it makes a difference. I make 20 pound blocks of ice in a battery box in our freezer and usually take 2 coolers. Went to Key West last week the block ice lasted 5 days with no problems. I think a fridge in a Tear is OK if that is what you want. It makes more heat out the back than it makes cool inside and has to be vented someplace. There have been many discussions here about refrigerators, It looks cool but I just didn't have room in the galley.

Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Re: Ice chest in galley or car?

Postby Ira » Mon May 15, 2006 3:21 pm

Show-off!
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Italia » Mon May 15, 2006 3:28 pm

Steve,
Very nice. We are doing the same theme in our kitchen, we have to being Italian.

Again very nice,
Italia
Italia
Teardrop Master

Postby Rob » Mon May 15, 2006 4:55 pm

Our cooler is in the car. The dog protects it while on the road, but the boss can still reach back and grab the water or sandwiches while on the road. We have a portable table in the trailer that is specifically for the cooler to go next to the galley. It gives us more galley space.
Rob
:wine:

:peace:
Rob
500 Club

Postby sdtripper2 » Mon May 15, 2006 5:09 pm

Italia:

I do agree with you ... that Steve's galley has a clean thoughtful design. The stove and his pull out sink add the functional touches. The uncluttered appearance with his attention to the details expressed in the imagined Italian country table scape, and flower vase, bring his design to an apex, as one of the best galleys in the small trailers that I have seen.

He has shown pictures of delicious looking foods made in his oven, displayed with care. One has only to imagine the comfort and convivial atmosphere somewhere down in Florida among friends sharing good times when he opens his galley hatch of his well made Cabin Car.
Last edited by sdtripper2 on Mon May 15, 2006 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby TomS » Mon May 15, 2006 5:27 pm

My cooler is in the galley in a slide out shelf. One of the biggest pet peeves, I had during our tent camping days was lugging the cooler and the rest of the food in and out of the care every morning and night. Now, all we do at night is close the hatch.

We've also found that our ice lasts much longer with the cooler in the galley. Between the white paint and the insulation, really helps keep the heat off it.

Also, when traveling we keep a small "playmate" type cooler behind the driver's seat, where the co-pilot can easily reach it.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby McTeardrops » Tue May 16, 2006 8:03 am

This is the time of year to harvest a dorm refrigerator! Going price when I picked up mine was $10, but you can get one free if your timing is right. Just cruise your local college, and watch folks trying to load one kid-year-worth of accumulated stuff into the SUV...

The refrigerator goes in the back of the pick-up. If you remember to plug it in, it will make ice overnight, if not drinks still stay cool several days any way!
Lenny

[email protected]
I've reached the stage, in life, where my foam has more memory than I do!
McTeardrops
The 300 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue May 16, 2006 8:34 am

We will keep our cooler in the tow vehicle as there is just not enough room for it in the galley. Yosemite requires all coolers, toiletries and foods including sodas to be stored in the provided bear boxes. This is when your are absent from your camp site and at night so it just doesn't make sense for us to put the cooler in the galley. 8) Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques