Water Water Everywhere and Not a Drop to Drink!

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Water Water Everywhere and Not a Drop to Drink!

Postby Caveman1970 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:20 am

First I must admit, I am a Water snob... Its true, when it comes to bottled water I will ONLY drink the expensive blue lable, bottled by large soda
industry, yes i would die of thirst first before opening another brand, or drinking from a public fountain, days gone are tromping through the neighborhood on a Hot summer day and stoping to drink out of lord knows whose hose pipe..
I purchased my house based on the well water alone.. (thats a bit of a stretch) but I do have well water that rivals the blue lable drink!
While camping I tend to over pack water even if available on site, the most troublesome aspect of this is the cleaning of the five gallon
water jugs, soap, bleach, soap etc and then the darn jug is dark blue, is there something still lurking in the bottom??? if there was only a
way to not have to wash the jug out every time, a better way to transport my nector of the GODS ... yes if I would just take some meds it might be easier, but then the light bulb flashed!! or could be a tumor pressing against something.. 5 gallon primo water jugs!! brilliant, they are clear, thus making stuff creeping on the bottom easy to see, you can find them in almost any store, if the jug gets dirty, exchange it at the local grocery!
out of water on the road and dont want to refill from hose pipe..exchange it! I picked up a PRIMO brand water pump that has a top carry handle,
it came from wally world for $10 and inside was a coupon for $5 off first water purchase, makes the jug cost free so you can exchange away, yes I still fill mine at home, and wally world has reusable 5gallon jugs for $7.. this is cheaper than the 5 gallon camping jug! (and i dont need to keep scrub'n it)
the jugs also come in 3 gallon if your not keen on picking up 5 gallons at a time. If you see me in your travels stop in for some tasty water!
Cheers!
Jimmie
"If at first you don't succeed....Caulk it!... A-lot!"
Caveman1970
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Water Water Everywhere and Not a Drop to Drink!

Postby bonnie » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:52 pm

Now that I like. :) :thumbsup:
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby eamarquardt » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:45 pm

I just bought this: http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... teschmidt&

When the surveyor and I were fooling with the electrical switches there was one marked "water maker". I flipped it and heard a pump start. We poked around and found one of these: http://www.myboatsgear.com/little-wonde ... 0--lwm-200

So, water water everywhere but not a drop to drink but after a few repairs I'll be able to make all I want.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:14 am

Gus, congratulations!

Now if the water type is made by the company that that makes soft drinks that started in Atlanta Ga, well........they have a plant by the Chattahoochee river just south of the sewage plant in Atlanta?????

I take a filter pitcher with me. I add a few drops of chlorine water purifier and fill the pitcher. I too am hopeless in love with my wonderful, fantastic well water, spoiled really, I will drink bottled spring water and I do take several bottles with me for emergencies, but I usually make my own bottled water. with my pitcher filter.

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby highdesertranger » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:15 pm

you do realize your soda company water is just tap water filtered then they put taste good stuff in it. then they charge you more than gasoline for the stuff. highdesertranger
highdesertranger
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:34 am

Depending on water source I use 1, 2, or 3 filters. The first one has a ceramic outer carbon inner and twice this last summer I started with a nice clean ceramic (after cleaning) and with in seconds of starting to fill the tank on CR the filter was black, silt rust and who knows what else I am certain. The third filter is used when pumping from a stream or lake and is a General Ecology NBC filter (nuclear, biological, chemical) that gets every thing. Most carbon filters are there to get chlorine and improve taste they do not do a great deal of real cleansing.
With the water problem that Toledo had I upgraded the filter system for the house so that I can use our well water with confidence, in case. Those filters can be brought along and are conventional 10" housings so good high capacity filters can be obtained easily.

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:39 am

Get all weirded out about a little strange water. Just as well stay home. Drink the local flora and fauna. Become immune to most things. I have drank some real funky water in my time ( once had to push the cow crap off the surface to get to the water. I was real thirsty ). About the only water in the US and Canada that just a little bit will cause harm is from a spring or other natural flow. That being said. I also carry a bunch of my well water with me but I do not cringe at the sight of a public water fountain. I have had my water in clear plastic jugs setting in sunlight for most of a year and nothing has grown in there. I do not worry about cleaning my water jugs. Just swish fresh water about and dump a few times.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby BrwBier » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:36 pm

I tend to think like the explorers from hundreds of years ago. Knowing that most local water was not safe they made it into beer not knowing that the boiling is what made it safe. So I still say make beer, water kills.
Brwbier
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:30 pm

BrwBier wrote:I tend to think like the explorers from hundreds of years ago. Knowing that most local water was not safe they made it into beer not knowing that the boiling is what made it safe. So I still say make beer, water kills.
Brwbier

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby drjenk » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:56 pm

We bought a Berkey water system.
We got this one instead of the metal ones so it doesn't dent when transporting:
http://www.berkeyfilters.com/berkey-wat ... light.html

No need to buy bottled water and makes the most chlorinated nasty rv park water taste super clean. We just got it and have only been on 1 camping trip with it but we didn't buy/pack bottled water as we normally do, and didn't need to because we just refilled this thing. Worked great.
drjenk
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Redneck Teepee » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:28 pm

The Safe Drinking Water Act first implemented in 1974 is intended to set forth standards in the U.S.A so that we all can drink the water anywhere without concern for our health and well being from it's consumption. Bottom line of it's intent is that the water that comes out of the spigot may look a little cloudy or have a noticeable unpleasant taste or oder to it but it will not harm you. Can't do that south of the border.

Private wells are exempt from the regulations, as is bottled water which is overseen by the FDA.
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby VijayGupta » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:06 pm

I don't drink bottled water, just tap water. Transportation, packaging, advertising -- all a lot of money for what is nearly free at the tap. And what percent of those bottles end up in the landfill, sewers, rivers, lakes, oceans?

I also heard that during the Civil War, soldiers that drank coffee suffered less from disease than those that drank water. Little did they know that the boiling was what saved them. Guess they weren't allowed to drink beer in the camps?

Or, you could use this take on it:
"I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it." - W. C. Fields
VijayGupta
Teardrop Master

Postby rowerwet » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:46 pm

BrwBier wrote:I tend to think like the explorers from hundreds of years ago. Knowing that most local water was not safe they made it into beer not knowing that the boiling is what made it safe. So I still say make beer, water kills.
Brwbier

The same reason tea is drunk in the far east, you have to boil it first, the tea drinkers survived.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Pixie Susan » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:16 pm

I've used a Sawyer mini and filtered great water from gorges in Missouri where the tadpoles were about as big as the leaves.
Pixie Susan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Olddog1 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:22 am

I too use the Sawyer except it's the larger squeeze version. Most of the group I hike with also use Sawyers both the mini and the squeeze. Most are set up for gravity filtering allowing us to go about camp chores while the filter does it's thing. We have filtered out of creeks, rivers, ponds and even ditches here in central Florida with no problems. In silty waters the filter will need to be backflushed more often but is a simple operation. Guaranteed for 1 million gallons which I'll never reach. They do have to be protected from freezing to prevent damage to the filter medium.
Olddog1
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Camping Secrets