Deb's New/Improved DIY Loo/Changing Room

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Deb's New/Improved DIY Loo/Changing Room

Postby Backroads4me » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:47 am

Now that I've gotten the door window screens project done, it's on to my new version of the current Luggable Loo/Changing room. For those new to this site, here's the thread describing my old version (with photos) and other member's great ideas and room creations:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57669&hilit=Luggable+Loo%2FChanging+room

My old version has served us well, but I wanted to create something free standing and sturdy should we decide not to use the FirstUp canopies. With the current version, we place two tent poles in the holders attached to the tear, then fastened the two outside poles to the canopy frame. Bob came up with this top frame, using $7.36 worth of plastic conduit parts and then drilling holes for the tent poles to go through. I had planned on using that dark green nylon fabric I found on Ebay---but decided that I liked the tarp material better. Lighter weight, folds up tightly and a lot cheaper (I already have another use planned for the nylon fabric). WalMart now sells tarps with the Woodland trees pattern on it-----hang 'em up and you blend into the background I guess---and I'll be making the side walls with that. The dimensions are 3 feet out from the trailer, and 5 feet across. I've come up with some details to make my room look less like a big hanging camo bag. Time to get ready for work, will post more on my progress soon.

Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Re: Deb's New/Improved DIY Loo/Changing Room

Postby Backroads4me » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:57 pm

Worked on the room today, used a 12 by 24 "Mossy Oak" woodland tarp from Wally*World, cut what I needed, sewed together. Wood trim Bob had stored in the garage made a handy straight edge for cutting. Used Gorilla tape for trim/edging.

Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby Backroads4me » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:03 pm

Used Velcro for holding the two outside tent poles. Bottom edge (on left side of photo) shows handy narrow Gorilla tape hem binding. I still ran a row of stitching on the bottom near edge.

Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby Backroads4me » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:11 pm

Trees, trees, trees----like this a lot better than the splotchy camo you usually see on tarps. You have to be careful when you purchase these tree tarps from WM-----the longest dimension is the way the trees are standing and the company logo appears every so often so you know which way is up.

Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby Backroads4me » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:27 pm

Yeah! I'm almost done! Have applied my Gorilla tape trim, Bob will add some more grommets for me. Will try to post a pic of it on the frame tomorrow. Raining like cats and dogs now.

Wasn't too hard of a job on the new sewing machine, though the bobbin thread jammed up a couple of times. Sewed through the Gorilla tape, was worried the needle would get sticky, but it worked just fine. Like the previous tarp room I made, I'm was scratchy and itchy after working on it.

Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby Backroads4me » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:19 am

Bob is inside, holding up the room so I could get a photo. He's going to add more grommets for me, and there's a couple of things I want to fine tune. I'll be away from the computer for a few days. We'll be going on a teardrop trail adventure here pretty quick, so I'll post a photo of how it looked and worked out in the field soon.

Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby Mary C » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:29 pm

I have one word fantastic!! but other words come to mind, like super, cool and ingenious. You are so smart. I am impressed.

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lrrowe » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:45 pm

I like it. Wish I had seen your idea before I bought the Tepee hut from Cabelas.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Backroads4me » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:55 pm

We're back from our teardrop trail adventure(s)-----went to the TCTeardrop owner's gathering at Indian Trails Campground, east of Portage, Wisconsin (Fri., Sat.), then headed straight away to Governor Dodge State Park, Dodgeville, Wi for another two days. It rained and the wind blew most of the time at the gathering (but we had fun anyway), and it was mostly sunny, though cold (we still had fun anyway) at Gov. Dodge. Took some photos of my Loo/Changing room in the field:

We had both 10 X 10 canopies up, one over the tear, and the other over the picnic table. Due to the wind, we also hung two sidewalls I cut in half and hemmed from a 10 X 20 tarp. First batch of photos shows the room set up under the tear's canopy. I had originally planned to make a tarp curtain for the exposed side next to the tear, but decided we needed a place to hang wet towels anyway, so problem solved! One thing to keep in mind though,---- unlike the nylon fabric I was going to use, the tarp fabric is thin enough to give the neighboring sites quite the "shadow show" if you're not careful with lights shining from the tear :oops:

Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby Backroads4me » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:06 pm

Before we left the gathering, I took these photos to show that the Loo/Changing room is quite sturdy and free standing, even without tying it down. Bob did put a tent peg in the grommet, located middle, bottom edge of lengthwise span. While we usually take at least one canopy, I'm mulling over some ideas for a top for my room, (when used without), perhaps with an extension of some sort to the other side (considering we have tent pole holders on each side). :thinking:

Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby Backroads4me » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:35 pm

Mary and Bob, thank you for the kind words. Here's two photos from our Gov.Dodge camp site. I didn't realize how far off the crown of the drive way the tear drop was until we had dropped her and started to set up. Oh well. As mentioned before, the room can be set up on either side.

Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby Backroads4me » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:45 pm

The Loo/Changing room broke down, ready to store. I have a zippered travel bag I found cheap on Ebay to keep the room and the 4 canopy sides I made---this is stored in the tear's front storage box. The wall top holder, as well as the red bungee ball thingies (I just love those, so handy!) are also stored there. The four tent poles are broken down, bagged and sit on the bottom of the galley floor, in front of the cooler. When I get a chance, I'll run the numbers on how much making this cost, and post it for those who might want to make their own.

Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby Backroads4me » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:53 pm

Here's one idea----would definitely get rid of that barn and silo I see every time I look at the photos of the freestanding room and teardrop. Or newly built apartment building next to grandpa's little old home. Perhaps I could figure out a way to put curves into the top of the room to follow the curve of the tear. I know, I know, I'm getting way too deep into this----but if the chi isn't flowing (as in Fung shui), it isn't flowing.

Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:37 pm

Backroads4me wrote:Mary and Bob, thank you for the kind words. Here's two photos from our Gov.Dodge camp site. I didn't realize how far off the crown of the drive way the tear drop was until we had dropped her and started to set up. Oh well. As mentioned before, the room can be set up on either side.

Looks like a nice set-up. ...Very comfy looking. :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby deleted » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:12 pm

:applause: :applause: :applause: Very nice!
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Lady Teardroppers