cyclocross racing

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

cyclocross racing

Postby Mike S » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:14 am

Well after a 5 year hiatus I decided to enter a cyclocross race again last weekend. After some health problems in 2009 I quit racing and reduced my riding by 10 fold. But being an organizer and a race official, I'm still around racing all the time. And this year 'cross looked just too fun to pass up sitting on the sidelines. The nice thing about cyclocross is that no matter how out of shape you are, you can still do it at your own pace. I'm hooked again and I'll be racing again this weekend. My wife and a friend of mine got some good shots of me too:

skyrange2.jpg
skyrange2.jpg (36.56 KiB) Viewed 5428 times

skyrange1.jpg
skyrange1.jpg (151.96 KiB) Viewed 5428 times

Who else is 'cross racing?
2013 7 x 16 Charmac Stealth CT , deep in conversion process :)
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=66412
2011 Toyota Tundra, 4x4, Double Cab, 5.7L
Mike S
Teardrop Master

Re: cyclocross racing

Postby Fenlason » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:33 am

:thumbsup:

Our club just put on our first cross race [we don't have that many in the state] My wife and I helped out on it, but man did it look like fun. :D :R
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby Jdw2717 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:27 pm

I have been think of trying cross myself. It looks like it would be great. Good luck! :thumbsup:
"Twenty years form now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines... Explore. Dream. Discover" Mark Twain

John & Tatanya
Jdw2717
Teardrop Master

Postby Mike S » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:29 am

Well, the second race of the series was on Saturday. I had an even better time because I had more competition. Myself and a couple of other guys were fighting for 10-14th places. Yeah, that might sounds silly but it was a ton of fun.

You guys should definitely try it. Even if you don't have a cyclocross bike, most organizers let you race any kind of bike.
2013 7 x 16 Charmac Stealth CT , deep in conversion process :)
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=66412
2011 Toyota Tundra, 4x4, Double Cab, 5.7L
Mike S
Teardrop Master

Postby Fenlason » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:01 pm

Mike S wrote:Well, the second race of the series was on Saturday. I had an even better time because I had more competition. Myself and a couple of other guys were fighting for 10-14th places. Yeah, that might sounds silly but it was a ton of fun.

You guys should definitely try it. Even if you don't have a cyclocross bike, most organizers let you race any kind of bike.

There are many races within a race.. it does not sound silly at all. Some times I find myself racing for a podium spot.. sometimes far from it. Some times I have had more fun.. and raced harder.. racing for "14th" place vs some of the times I have ended up on the podium.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:28 am

So how did the rest of the season go?
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Teary eyed » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:35 pm

The wife and I contested our 1st full CX season this year..It was great! Agree the battle for 10th/11th is much better than the front of the race..so we get lucky enough to have nationals here in NC this coming year! You know we will be there in out teardrop..serving beer and heckling the fast guys/girls! Come on down if you are so inclined, we'll feed you some grits and show you how cross is waged in the Carolinas!
:beer:
Teary eyed
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Fenlason » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:55 pm

Teary eyed wrote:The wife and I contested our 1st full CX season this year..It was great! Agree the battle for 10th/11th is much better than the front of the race..so we get lucky enough to have nationals here in NC this coming year! You know we will be there in out teardrop..serving beer and heckling the fast guys/girls! Come on down if you are so inclined, we'll feed you some grits and show you how cross is waged in the Carolinas!
:beer:

I hope they go a lot better than this past years in Texas... :o :roll:

"We" had a few people race at it, and they should be in NC this next year.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Teary eyed » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:26 pm

yeah had some friends out there too...a bit of a cluster!

Shouldn't be an issue in Asheville, private land, and usually just a bunch of farm animals running around.

Our last race weekend of the season was on a Beta version of the nationals course...and its an ass kicker! I'm praying for rain! :beer:
Teary eyed
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Fenlason » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:16 am

Teary eyed wrote:yeah had some friends out there too...a bit of a cluster!

Shouldn't be an issue in Asheville, private land, and usually just a bunch of farm animals running around.

Our last race weekend of the season was on a Beta version of the nationals course...and its an ass kicker! I'm praying for rain! :beer:

Yeah.. some of my local friends don't want to race in the mud and rain.. and I am like :? that is what cross racing is supposed to be. :D
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Return to Bicycles