How do I erase the line, without erasing panel?

Member designs created in Sketchup or other cad program

How do I erase the line, without erasing panel?

Postby DustinS » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:59 pm

So I downloaded the free sketch Up program after hearing about it, I'm trying to add a interior wall but it keeps showing a line on the exterior wall, shown below.

How do I get rid of that line but keep that wall panel? I've had the program less than a week and am still working on getting used to it.
DustinS
Teardrop Inspector

Re: How do I erase the line, without erasing panel?

Postby KCStudly » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:09 pm

I'm not familiar with the details of Sketchup, but have a lot of experience with other 3D modeling programs (lately Autodesk Inventor).

Do the panels have any thickness at this point in the modeling process?

If they do, the butting panel probably starts on the outside surface of the long panel. Try starting it on the inside of the long panel.

There may also be a way to change how the image is rendered turning off edges or wire frames.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Glenn Butcher » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:49 am

Yes, it looks like your small panel sticks through your larger one. When you're working with 2d panels, it's hard to avoid.

Eventually, you'll want to give your panels some thickness, as you'll be surprised at how quickly that dimension adds up. Then, your current problem will go away. I'd describe how to do that, but I'm doing this on my phone and I can't think and swype...

My teardrop sketchupping got a lot better after watching the YouTube video posted in another thread.

Key concept in sketch up its that when you close a set of lines, it forms a shape. Delete one of the lines, and the shape goes away...
Glenn Butcher
Teardrop Master

Postby starleen2 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:47 am

Sometimes you have to select the line and right click the mouse to select >intersect faces> with selection or with model. Sometimes this works to join everything together if they are on a different plane. Sometimes you can get rid of the line (only if it has thickness on both panels)by selecting the offending line, copy it then past it place then delete. Sometimes sketch-up is a bit buggy with such things - be patient and soon you will discover the marvelous wonders of 3D modeling
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby danlott » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:00 pm

DustinS wrote:So I downloaded the free sketch Up program after hearing about it, I'm trying to add a interior wall but it keeps showing a line on the exterior wall, shown below.

How do I get rid of that line but keep that wall panel? I've had the program less than a week and am still working on getting used to it.

Like most have already said you should add some dimension to your model. That will "hide" the interior panels.

If you simple don't want the line to show there are two ways to hide it.

The first is the select the line and then right click on it. Select "Hide" and the line will be hidden.

The second way is to select the erase button. Hold down the "Ctrl" button on your keyboard and click on the line with your mouse. This is a way to hide multiple lines without selecting and hiding each one individually.
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Postby DustinS » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:08 pm

Thank you all for the replies. I'm still new to using it so I'm still using 2-D panels until I progress into more and more. I'll have to search for those videos.
DustinS
Teardrop Inspector

Postby danlott » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:07 am

DustinS wrote:Thank you all for the replies. I'm still new to using it so I'm still using 2-D panels until I progress into more and more. I'll have to search for those videos.

http://wwq.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=49233

Dan
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Postby Glenn Butcher » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:34 am

danlott wrote:
DustinS wrote:Thank you all for the replies. I'm still new to using it so I'm still using 2-D panels until I progress into more and more. I'll have to search for those videos.

http://wwq.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=49233

Dan

Emphatic +1!!! Showing how to use the guides, and how to enter precise dimensions for an operation started with the mouse in danlott's videos was what transformed me from a bull-in-chinashop sketchupper to a toddler. That, and I haven't even worked through all the videos yet.

Tried to swype it on my phone in my previous post, but let me restate from my laptop keyboard the single concept that, once realized, helped me to shed a lot of frustration: When you draw a series of connected lines and the last one connects to the beginning of the first one, you make a 2d shape. If you remove any of those lines, the shape disappears and you're left with a set of connected lines. Redraw that line, and the shape re-appears. So, objects that 'disappear' when you do something are losing one of the connected lines. "Undo" puts the line back in, but if you can find where it was, you can also make different lines to reconnect and restore the shape. I was having problems with profile curves, doing things that made the shape go away; when I zoomed into the line, followed it around, and found the disconnect, ta-da!!

BTW, adding the 3rd dimension to your shapes is easy with the extrusion tool. Select your shape, select the tool, and drag in the direction you want to add the 3rd dimension. Don't worry about how big you make it with the mouse, because you can then go to the edit box at the bottom of the window and enter the precise dimension of the extrude, e.g., 3/4". danlott demonstrates using the edit box very well.
Glenn Butcher
Teardrop Master

Postby javajaws » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:21 pm

Although this doesn't appear to be the case, sometimes you can have an object with depth and have a line shown on one of the faces (with no intersecting/protruding line causing it) like you are showing. This can sometimes happen when extending an object, etc. When THIS is the case, open up the component (you are using components, right?) then select the line then right click->Soften. Soften is also useful when you want to get the segment lines out of a circular face.

But again, I don't think this is the case with what you showed. I think its because you have 0 depth. I try to make all walls/objects the right depth down to at least 1/16" (aluminum skin). And be sure to make everything a component (every individual piece of wood, metal, etc.).
javajaws
Teardrop Builder

Return to Sketch up designs