Foldavan

Teardrop shaped bicycle travel trailers & related information

Foldavan

Postby grant whipp » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:12 pm

I just bought the plans for this last night - http://www.woodenwidget.com/vidvan6.htm - first 'cycle trailer design that made me want to pull the trigger on plans! I think it could be made a bit lighter using some aluminum components, but we'll see whenever I get around to building one ... ;) ...! Check it out!

CHEERS!
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Re: Foldavan

Postby Wyo George » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:36 pm

Interesting. I'll be watching this one.
Wyo George
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:53 pm

Good find Grant! :thumbsup:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby razorback » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:51 pm

I like it a lot. great find. might be a cheap sleeper for the homeless in the right climates.
Larry
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby rowerwet » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:34 pm

I spent a lot of time on a bike back in Jr high and high school times, no matter which way I left the house the ride ended up being into the wind. I would not want to think of trying to tow that into the normal coastal winds around here, or try to navigate traffic with that massive sail pushing the bike from side to side. The thought of a solid cross wind towing that would also be no fun.
For a bike trailer I wouldn't want anything taller than the wheels of the bike, and very streamlined. Some sort of foam clamshell design.
The design looks nice, but aero drag is the enemy of any distance riding.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Abaker50 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:01 pm

That looks really interesting. I would be interested in more information about the fabric recommended for this. :D

-Andrea
Abaker50
Teardrop Builder

Postby rowerwet » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:04 pm

Most likely it is the same PVC based stuff used in the folding boats on the site
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Abaker50 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:28 pm

rowerwet wrote:Most likely it is the same PVC based stuff used in the folding boats on the site

Most of the FAQ's on the product pages say something like: "It's a PVC fabric like the kind seen on truck sides. It is easily available and the plans include all the necessary info about what weight of cloth to buy and where to get it"

I'm interested in that information. I've seen a lot of different PVC products on the web, but I'm confused about which to choose for this kind of application.

Thanks,
Andrea
Abaker50
Teardrop Builder

Postby grant whipp » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:22 pm

rowerwet wrote:... I would not want to think of trying to tow that into the normal coastal winds around here, or try to navigate traffic with that massive sail pushing the bike from side to side. The thought of a solid cross wind towing that would also be no fun.
For a bike trailer I wouldn't want anything taller than the wheels of the bike, and very streamlined. Some sort of foam clamshell design.
The design looks nice, but aero drag is the enemy of any distance riding.

Like trying to find the perfect camping trailer for a small car, pulling almost any kind of trailer behind a bicycle or trike is going to be an exercise in compromise. Two things appeal to me about the Foldavan (besides the teardrop shape ... ;) ...!), and those are the ability to compress horizontally to present the smallest possible "noseprint" to the air (though, in reality it's no more than the "noseprint" that the rider him/her-self present), and the fact that the fabric sides can be rolled down for transport (which will minimize the "sail" issues in side winds ... not eliminate, but certainly greatly reduced). It's not the perfect solution to 'cycle camping, but it is a damn good compromise!

Many years ago, I designed a folding camping trailer for 'cycles that was very low and compact and clamshell-ish, but could never find the time to build it. Since then, a couple of companies have come up with trailers that incorporate many of the features that I had envisioned, so I never really pursued it any further, other than share my ideas with a few cycle camping enthusiasts. The Foldavan is made out of wood and it's a teardrop, so naturally, it attracted me ... :D ...! Like with a real teardrop camping trailer, once I finally get around to building it (as per the plans, or nearly so), I'm sure I'll have ideas for improvements ... :thinking: ...!

CHEERS!
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby grant whipp » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:27 pm

Abaker50 wrote:
rowerwet wrote:Most likely it is the same PVC based stuff used in the folding boats on the site

Most of the FAQ's on the product pages say something like: "It's a PVC fabric like the kind seen on truck sides. It is easily available and the plans include all the necessary info about what weight of cloth to buy and where to get it"

I'm interested in that information. I've seen a lot of different PVC products on the web, but I'm confused about which to choose for this kind of application .

Hi, Andrea!

I haven't had the chance to really pour over the plans, yet, but when I can get to them and read up on the recommended fabric, I will post the info here (so long as it doesn't violate any copyright issues).

CHEERS!
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Return to Bicycle Travel Trailers