Trim alternatives??

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Trim alternatives??

Postby rampage » Sat May 20, 2006 10:30 pm

I was wondering if anyone knows of trim other than aluminum angle that could be used for TD's? I was thinking along the lines of a black bendable plastic or something like that. Thanks for any help.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning"
rampage
Donating Member

Postby alaska teardrop » Sat May 20, 2006 11:11 pm

Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Hardin Valley Magic » Sun May 21, 2006 12:17 am

Wow 420 for 250 ft. could do a lot of trimming.... :lol:
aka Steven D.
Hardin Valley Magic
Donating Member

Postby Kens » Sun May 21, 2006 8:35 am

I would love to use something other than aluminum. I have been looking for something local still looking.
Good day every day!
Kens
500 Club

Postby Ira » Sun May 21, 2006 9:00 am

The problem with the plastics in the form you want is the UV resistance--they'll break down and crack pretty quickly. I was also considering some kind of rubber, but again, that dries out and cracks too.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Darren » Sun May 21, 2006 11:28 am

I took madjacks advise and went to a local RV dealer yesterday. They have the same trim he used in 14' pieces for $16.49 plus I got a 530 page catalog from them. Now I need to figure out how to get the trim home, probably be taking a hacksaw with me. :lol: I searched a long time for trim alternatives and Trim-Loc has some that would work but like Ira said I don't think they would hold up in the sun. The RV shop also carrys a more traditional teardrop style trim that's 1 1/8" x 5/8" in 14' lengths for $12.25 each. I didn't see anything while searching that I thought would work on the door trim.
Darren
the camper formerly known as Victor Star

Trim alt . . . .

Postby rooster » Sun May 21, 2006 11:36 am

Victor, you might check out the local RV dealers, they carry trim. I got mine from a fellow the builds campers. The trim was 16' and just used some duct tape and tapped them to the right side of the truck and drove 175 miles home. Just a thought.

Jim, :thinking:
Beware of what she wishes....especially with that twinkle in her eye and that mischievious smile....you know it's gonna cost....
rooster
Donating Member

Postby Darren » Sun May 21, 2006 12:09 pm

That could work. Actually the longest continous piece I need is 100" so I might just cut it. I'd hate to scratch up the side of my blazer any more than it is already. Thanks and I'll keep that in mind.
Darren

Postby madjack » Sun May 21, 2006 12:10 pm

...think again about the Trim-Lok...that lip guard and other of their trims are manufactured of the automotive and transportation OEM industry for trim on the OUTSIDE of vehicles...they make some pretty good stuff...don't they Fred... ;)
madjack 8) ;)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby rampage » Sun May 21, 2006 12:18 pm

Ira wrote:The problem with the plastics in the form you want is the UV resistance--they'll break down and crack pretty quickly. I was also considering some kind of rubber, but again, that dries out and cracks too.

I know what you're saying about the UV protection. I was thinking about the same stuff they make that fender trim out of on commercial type trucks. Actually, werent you gonna use that for a drip guard over your door? I think that would look cool.

Thanks for the link, Alaska TD
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning"
rampage
Donating Member

Postby alaska teardrop » Sun May 21, 2006 4:01 pm

rampage wrote:
Ira wrote:The problem with the plastics in the form you want is the UV resistance--they'll break down and crack pretty quickly. I was also considering some kind of rubber, but again, that dries out and cracks too.

I know what you're saying about the UV protection. I was thinking about the same stuff they make that fender trim out of on commercial type trucks. Actually, werent you gonna use that for a drip guard over your door? I think that would look cool.
    Rampage, From this link you can click on 'View Catalogue' in red at top corner for specifications. Or E-mail for a catalogue to determine your part # and then ask for dealers that stock & sell your part by the foot. :thumbsup:
    Madjack 8) Wrote:
    ...think again about the Trim-Lok...that lip guard and other of their trims are manufactured of the automotive and transportation OEM industry for trim on the OUTSIDE of vehicles...they make some pretty good stuff...don't they Fred...
    madjack
    Yup, I'm pleased with the trim & seal and the service. My teardrop has been on the road & living outside for a year now. Gravel roads, pressure car washes, long days of summer and the coldest winter on record (couple of stretches down to 50 below). :snowstorm:
    Photos taken this morning showing examples of how I used Trim-Lok parts. Sorry not washed. :oops: The quaint dimples in the Lip Guard are the row of rivets sealed over.
Image Image Image
    Fred
    :peace:
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Darren » Sun May 21, 2006 7:54 pm

I didn't think the trim-loc was UV safe, now I know.

Fred - It looks like you used the PLGB lip guard on the outside curve and the edges below the hatch. Can you tell us what you used for the doors and how are you sealing the hatch? Thanks.
Darren

Homemade Trim

Postby Dee Bee » Sun May 21, 2006 7:55 pm

As I built the Zephyr TD I was interested in keeping cost down. I discovered that at a nearby construction site they were throwing away vinyl sill pieces from an instalation of replacement windows. The job boss said I could have them. I collected an arm load and went back to by building one happy camper.

Using a table saw I cut these down to size and trimmmed the door and bottom of the walls with this found trim. Since I couldn't figure out how to bend the stuff I still used aluminum on the hatch. But I didn't want to aneal the metal so I took an easy way out. I cut slots in the side that would receive the bend of the curve. Hope the pics are self explanitory

It was free and it worked for me...

Dee Bee
Last edited by Dee Bee on Sun May 21, 2006 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Postby Micro469 » Sun May 21, 2006 10:26 pm

Hey Fred!!! How come theres no snow in them there pictures??

:lol: :lol: :lol:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby alaska teardrop » Mon May 22, 2006 1:08 am

Victor Star wrote:Fred - It looks like you used the PLGB lip guard on the outside curve and the edges below the hatch. Can you tell us what you used for the doors and how are you sealing the hatch? Thanks.
    Victor, The alumimum flange around the door is 1/8". As shown in the 3rd pic, the perimeter trim is EGB7/16 Edge Guard w/ hot melt adhesive. The seal is X-125BT Rubber seal w/ butyl 3M tape and seals against the body. The trunk lid is also 1/8" and uses the same trim & seal.
    John asked:
Hey Fred!!! How come theres no snow in them there pictures??
    Gone. Aye John! :lol:
    The hills are green and in the sixties. :relaxing:
    Fred
    :peace:
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques