Gone to he Dark Side??

Texas, New Mexico, Louisiana, Arkansas & Oklahoma

Moderator: 2bits

Gone to he Dark Side??

Postby Nobody » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:15 am

Hi All - For more'n 9 years now we've traveled, camped, attended gatherings, etc., with our little teardrop, & loved every minute, even the times when weather was less than ideal :R . Had a great trip last August to Wyoming & the 'Walk the Winds' gathering but the weather/temps at 8,000' elevation put somewhat of a strain on our physical endurance. Then, on the Saturday after Thanksgiving an inattentive driver made a left turn across my lane of travel & I collided with him while driving my old Ford F-250 diesel P/U, totaling my old truck & pop-up cabover camper. Thus began a search for another, more suitable rig for our camping/traveling. I looked at small motorhomes (class C), small trailers, & pickups & campers. Last week we located a 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe fiberglass trailer, in excellent condition, for a very reasonable price. We drove to Texas (Ft Worth area) to look at it & decided that it fit our requirements almost exactly so we concluded the deal & brought it home. We're still getting familiar with the Casita but so far we love it. Dunno if 17' can still be considered a 'tiny travel trailer' or not but compared to most 17-18' 'stick built' trailers/RVs, it is tiny. Best of all our Toyota Tacoma P/U tows it handily & even gets near the same fuel efficiency as with the TD, only losing less than 2mpg. I still get over 17mpg towing the Casita at 55mph, & the truck handles it with ease; the 4.0L V-6 has more than enough power for any situation I can imagine. Previous owners kept in in nice shape so there's not a lot to do except a few things that'll 'make it ours'. Hope we'll still be welcome at TNTT events but if not we'll still camp/travel & I'll no longer hafta put my pants on lying down ;) . This ain't the best pic in the world - made with my phone near sundown at rest area on I-30 eastbound near Mt Vernon, TX on our way home with the 'new' trailer...

Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Gone to he Dark Side??

Postby bc toys » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:13 pm

can't say for the central group but out west you are welcome I have a cargo and they let me camp with them I hope its not the trailer that people like about you and your wife its the friendship and advice you offer The Texas and La group welcomed us with a nice camping trips.
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby ae6black » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:22 pm

I use an 18 footer tt when camping with family, but the TD when I am camping alone. If that's going to the dark side you've got plenty of company.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:36 pm

I think it falls in the realm of a tiny travel trailer. :D

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby desertmoose » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:02 pm

Boy, this sounds familiar....
Kat and I have had a 30' toyhauler for years. Took it to our first teardrop gathering when I decided to look at building a tear. Everyone at the "Glyphs" was welcoming and friendly. Got enough ideas I went and made our tear.

Since we've had the tear, the toyhauler hasn't been used as much. However, at times we need to get out of the wind and snow.

We looked at all sorts of trailers, cabovers, etc. Then over Thanksgiving, while we we at Kat's sister's place in Utah, we bought a Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe.

Now prepping the toyhauler to sell it.

Will keep the tear for gatherings, and nicer weather, and use the Casita when it's nasty.

Sam
desertmoose
The 300 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:36 pm

Casitas are wonderful little trailers. Congratulations! :applause:
Last edited by S. Heisley on Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby aggie79 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:31 pm

Harvey,
Congratulations on the new Casita. My wife and I love the Casitas, and particularly that model. Hope to see y'all at Beavers Bend.
Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby bdosborn » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:12 pm

Look at you, with a new trailer! Looks nice! How some pics of the interior?

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby capnTelescope » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:10 pm

I seriously considered buying a Casita, but wanted to do a build even more. I want a tour!
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby Nobody » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:13 pm

Thanks folks, for the encouragement. We ain't giving up on the TD, just 'reserving' it for nice weather campouts & gatherings when it's warm. We've enjoyed it for more'n 8yrs (not the 9 in my OP :oops: ) but it does sometimes get tiresome trying to stay warm'n dry in inclement weather. We'll still use the TD when it's pretty certain we can sit outside in shorts and/or short sleeves most of the day & evening. Otherwise we'll probably 'wuss out' & use the Casita. We've achieved an age where comfort is much more important than appearance. I don't hafta be a 'tuff guy' anymore (probably never was as tough as I thought, or tried to act :roll: ) & the Casita will allow us to go & still have a place to retreat to when it ain't nice out.

Tom - not sure we'll make Beaver's bend again this year. Been a couple of years since we attended but we'll sure try.

Bruce - I'll try to include a few interior pix.

Capn Telescope - Did the build more'n 8yrs ago so the Casita is now 'IN'...

Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby razorback » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:51 pm

Looks great Harvey... Macy and I have the 1978 Scotty for exactly the same reasons. Nice to be able to stand up. Nice to have a dinette when the weather is too cold or wet.
Would love to have the bathroom like you have.
I will always use the TD I built. But, as you said, comfort at our age is very important. Macy won't go if its too cold or wet.
Larry and Macy
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby aggie79 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:22 pm

Nobody wrote:Tom - not sure we'll make Beaver's bend again this year. Been a couple of years since we attended but we'll sure try.

Then we'll see y'all at LCG. On a side note, I sure wish we would schedule an outing for central or NW Arkansas - Petit Jean, Devil's Den, Lake Fort Smith, etc.

Nobody wrote:Bruce - I'll try to include a few interior pix.

Capn Telescope - Did the build more'n 8yrs ago so the Casita is now 'IN'...

One (of the many) appealing things about this model of Casita is the 2-person dinette. With only two camping, the 4-person dinette can be left in the bed position.

Take care, Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby bdosborn » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:26 pm

Wow, that's nice. Heck, you could live in there full time...

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Verna » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:37 pm

Very nice! I have met one of the two women I know of who are full timing it in 17'' Casitas. I looked in one of them and it's so spacious compared to my Silver Shadow teardrop.
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:25 pm

I think that thing is bigger inside than it is outside. :thinking:

Glad you're back in the game. Any wise words from the insurance world you just went through?

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to South Central