Robbers Cave State Park

Texas, New Mexico, Louisiana, Arkansas & Oklahoma

Moderator: 2bits

Robbers Cave State Park

Postby coyote » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:03 am

We took the unseasonable nice weather and went to Robbers State Cave last weekend. We had a lot of fun. Nice fire, walked one of the trails and saw "the cave". We walked the loop and wound up deciding almost every site a winner. If anyone gets interested, this might make a nice gathering sometime. It is part of the Sans Bois Mountains in Southeast Ok., pines and rock formations. Lake, frisbee golf, equisterian, little nature museum, paddle boats, swimming pool. Personally the fire pit/pines/ quiet did it, but what a nice getaway until spring! coyote
coyote
Titanium Donating Member

Re: Robbers Cave State Park

Postby jss06 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:19 pm

I have been there. It is really a beautiful park.
jss06
Palladium Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:18 pm

I just looked up where this was and its a pretty straight shot North of me just over 3 hours. Looks like it goes over two mountain ranges and onto a third heading from Texas. Looks like an awesome drive and a neat park and since we have a few folks in Oklahoma, this might spur up a gathering!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby mechmagcn » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:44 pm

It's a really nice park, I have camped there many times. There's a fall festival the 3rd weekend of Oct. that has a great craft fair and car show. :thumbsup: Be forewarned though, if you want to camp there during the festival, reservations have to be made a year in advance or come early to grab one of the open sites.
Jeff & Micki
53 F100
Mercedes turbo diesel
Teardrop "finished" as if they ever are
You can never be lost if you don't care where you are going!
mechmagcn
Donating Member

Postby Nobody » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:42 am

My youngest son & I spent one night there back in 1970's (I think). He was just barely into his teens & it was the weekend that convicts Ruiz & vanDenton had escaped from the prison at McAlester just before their multi-state murder & robbery spree (pretty sure Ruiz & vanDenton were executed later in Arkansas for those murders). The escape was well publicized & on all the local radio stations. We slept in the back of my truck (camper shell) & I don't think the kid slept more'n a couple of hours all night. He was worried that we'd be accosted since 'Big Mac' is only a few miles west. Kept waking me up to be sure I had locked the door & had my pistol handy... You're right, Robbers Cave is a nice park.
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to South Central