Clearance light question

Anything electric, AC or DC

Clearance light question

Postby Miriam C. » Thu May 25, 2006 9:59 pm

I bought the Y harness to run my lights and while leaving enough excess to run clearance lights I realized I didn't know if I need the side lights to just stay on or also blink?????? :?

All opinions and facts greatly appreciated.
Miriam
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby emiller » Thu May 25, 2006 10:18 pm

Most just stay on, I haven't seen ones that flash or blink unless someone wired them wrong. Here are the running lights I used because I was able to run them the lenght of the trailer and are LED.
http://www.awdirect.com/awdirect/findit ... emid=18540
emiller
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Thu May 25, 2006 11:53 pm

Miriam, you have to be over 30r35 feet to have a side blinker...on your trailer they just shine on......................... 8)
p.s. if you just wanted them too, I don't know of any law aginnit..................
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Fri May 26, 2006 10:42 am

Thank you both very much. Really like the running lights but may be a bit out of budget for this year. :roll:

May be able to get this painted if the rain will hold off.
Least I don't have to wash it again. Rained so hard last night it removed the little bit of paint residue I had left to scrape off. :lol:

Miriam
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Chip » Fri May 26, 2006 11:01 am

miriam,, stop by a truck/travel plaza on the interstate,,, look at the running lights in the truck light section,, some are right pricey but ya can also pick ua some that are small and real reasonable,,, got mine for about 3 bucks each,,, A bit of wire, dab of caulk, two screws and you are lighted,, on my previous trailer I used the windshield washer lights the kids are putting on their hondas as additional lights across the top of the hatch lid,, they put out a lot of light,, trick is to find red and orange ones to look official,,,

chipper :thumbsup:
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: Clearance light question

Postby Melvin » Fri May 26, 2006 1:11 pm

Miriam C. wrote:I bought the Y harness to run my lights and while leaving enough excess to run clearance lights I realized I didn't know if I need the side lights to just stay on or also blink?????? :

Marker lights shouldn't blink. Trailers over 9.1m/30' require a marker light at the centre but it shouldn't blink either.

Of course as long as the colours are correct you can add additional lights above the legal minimum and those would be allowed to blink.

The only time I add a side/front signal light to any of the trailers I wire is if the tongue is so long that some twit could squeeze their car between the tow and the trailer.
Commandant Louis Joseph Lahure has a singular distinction in military history - he defeated a navy on horseback. Occupying Holland in January 1795, the French continental army learned that the mighty Dutch navy had been frozen into the ice around Texel Island. So Lahure and 128 men simply rode up to it and demanded surrender. No shots were fired.
Melvin
Teardrop Master

Postby Darren » Fri May 26, 2006 2:37 pm

Miriam, If you're on a tight budget these light are pretty nice and very bright. $7.95 each. they have red and amber.

www.superbrightleds.com look in the truck section. I also got some of these in blue and white for the interior. $3.95 each and again very bright.

Darren
the camper formerly known as Victor Star

Postby Miriam C. » Sat May 27, 2006 10:09 am

Well gee, I have phone service again. Seems the storm cooked something somewhere and we all lost service. :cry:

I went to the truck stop and they have about the same as the auto stores. I am going out to the Petro today and see if they can do better. The auto stores have a few, and one I liked but only in Amber. :x It was technically a cab-over but for some reason I like the teardrop shape.

VS, Those are purty. I will need to make up the dusty mind soon cause I can work on it again.

Thanks
Miriam
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Return to Electrical Secrets