Teardrop Shelter

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Teardrop Shelter

Postby Steve E » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:15 am

:thinking
Trying to come up with solution for cover if weather gets bad or mosquitos get hungry.......Last year never got caught in a situation but know it is bound to happen....Any ideas of what works for you are appreciated..............Thanks for any imput........ :thinking:
Steve E
Platinum Donating Member

Postby madjack » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:17 am

..a screen room tent or a Sportz Tent.................................................... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Steve E » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:56 am

Thanks for your imput Madjack. Last year had an EZ up that worked slick but lucked out as only got caught in little drizzle a couple of times and no bug problems. Went all the way to Nebraska for ITG and then to gatherings during the summer........What a great 1rst year of teardropping. Great people...Great times......... :)
Steve E
Platinum Donating Member

Postby gailkaitschuck » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:47 pm

We recently purchased a 10 by 14 foot Ozark Trail Screen House from Wally World for under $50. Figured we'll be taking this on the summer trips when the bugs are bad. We might set it up and leave it on some land we recently purchased and plan to use for primitive teardrop camping.

I think there are shelters that are probably easier to set up (however, our first experiment was trying to set this up in the living room) but they'll probably be more expensive. This one seemed like an excellent size too and folded back down to a fairly small carrying size.

Gail
Teardrop Momma
gailkaitschuck
*Pasta Mama

Postby Steve E » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:41 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. We finally decided on the Sportz Tent. Ordered it off internet and arrived a few days ago. Think it's going to work for those buggy times..............Thanks everyone Patty ;)
Steve E
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Juli n Bill » Thu May 25, 2006 12:59 pm

I just got a new catalog from the sportsmansguide and they have two new side tents that would work great for teardrops. One is just $39.00, a tailgator tent that has a tunnel and you can stand up in.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=265432
Juli n Bill
Teardrop Master

Postby dwgriff1 » Thu May 25, 2006 2:43 pm

I have a screen tent. It works pretty good, but I am wondering about a simple tarp that would fasten to the tear and have a pole or two to hold it up.

Last time I camped, the wind blew hard every night and any shelter would have been pulverized.

Still thinking.

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby Larwyn » Thu May 25, 2006 9:23 pm

The EZ Up is great for rain and sun protection. For moquitoes nothing beats a fan if you have electrical hookups. Otherwise keep the doors closed as often as posiable.... :D

It is a fact that moquitoes cannot fly into the wind generated by a simple box fan. I live in the woods and have tried everthing, I now use a 42 inch shop fan to keep the mosquitoes away. Smaller fans work very well. I use the large fan to protect a larger area, as we spend a lot of time outside even at dusk when the nasty bugs are feeding.
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby JIML1943 » Fri May 26, 2006 3:32 am

I used the under 50.00 wally world screen room.Just cut screen so it would cover galley.
Some days all you can do is smile and wait for some kind soul to come along and pull your ass out the bind you've gotten yourself into.

Happy camping Jim & Barbara
JIML1943
Teardrop Master

Return to Camping Secrets