Mysterious mystifying running lights problem

Anything electric, AC or DC

Mysterious mystifying running lights problem

Postby bluebanjo » Thu May 25, 2006 11:12 pm

Okay kids, I am stumped on this one. I just rewired my TTT (aka my 1965 Shasta Compact, "Sparky the Wonder Trailer.") My wiring harness on my tow vehicle isn't working right now and I am trying to test the trailer lights by using a lawnmower battery. I will get the tow vehicle fixed next week.

So I hook up my trusty lawnmower battery and everything works. There are only right turn, left turn, brake lights, a license plate light, and two side running lights per side -- an amber and a red per side. Only outside lights -- no 12-volt inside lights at all.

Everything works I say -- except the amber and red side running lights. Wierd. The bulbs are new -- in fact I replaced the old running lights with brand new ones. The license plate light runs off the running light circuit (brown wire) on the door side and my 12-volt tester shows the wires are hot, the light sockets are hot -- but somehow the side lights don't light up. The back running lights, however, work like a champ and just like the license plate light, these lights run from the same circuit.

Doh! I can't figure out how the side lights can't work when other lights that run from them work okay.

Any ideas out there? I think I might possibly be losing my mind. But that's okay, I can probably pick up another one at HD.

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :fb
bluebanjo
Teardrop Builder

Postby rainjer » Thu May 25, 2006 11:21 pm

Only outside lights -- no 12-volt inside lights at all.

Normally the inside lights do not run off that circuit. They should have a separate battery.

Doh! I can't figure out how the side lights can't work when other lights that run from them work okay.

Sounds like a bad ground on those light. They normally use the mounting screws as the ground.

Are the lights attached to metal or wood?
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby madjack » Thu May 25, 2006 11:29 pm

...yep, pretty much what Rain just said...when you rewired, didja ground the body...the side markers probably ground to the body.......
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Nitetimes » Thu May 25, 2006 11:58 pm

madjack wrote:...yep, pretty much what Rain just said...when you rewired, didja ground the body...the side markers probably ground to the body.......
madjack 8)

Yup, what he said^^^. If the lights only had one wire make sure whatever you mounted them to is grounded well.
If all else fails you may need to run ground wires to each light.
A simple test...hook up your hot wire...remove the light lens and touch a wire from the battery ground to one of the mounting screws. You should be able to tell which one by the metal strip under it.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby bluebanjo » Fri May 26, 2006 10:22 am

Thanks guys! I will check to see that everything is properly grounded. If I can fix the problem I'll report back.
bluebanjo
Teardrop Builder

You Are Smart.

Postby bluebanjo » Fri May 26, 2006 6:46 pm

Yep that fixed it. I rechecked all my grounds and now everything works correctly. Thanks a million guys! You just saved me even more time and money than the last time this forum saved me a bunch of time and money. Now -- on to the insulation, the panelling, the floor, and every other little thing I have to figure out. :applause: :applause: :applause: :D :D
bluebanjo
Teardrop Builder

Postby cracker39 » Sat May 27, 2006 7:30 am

Weak grounds can also cause problems. I had a really weird one with my boat trailer. When I'd step on the brake, the turn signals would stop blinking and both would come on, and they are separate lights and a different circuit, as my truck has separate turn signals and I wired my trailer the same way using a 6-wire connector set. I also have a ground wire and do not depend on a frame ground (same with my TTT).

It was a mysterious problem. I could connect a hot wire to each wire on the trailer and each light worked correctly. I tested the connector on the truck and the same...I had 12 volts coming from each "prong". I even rewired my ground wiring and that didn't help. Finally, I took the plug out of the socket on the truck, and spread the ground "prong" in the socket wider (it has a split in the end) so it would make better contact with the "hole" in the plug and that solved the problem. It was getting a weak ground. I don't know how that made the lights go crazy, but it did.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby bluebanjo » Sun May 28, 2006 2:20 am

Now that I've packed every little inch of the trailer with brand-new styrofoam insulation, I'm waiting for the rain to stop (Seattle, what else) so I can get in there with my 12-volt lawnmower battery and check things out again before I seal the whole thing up with new ply. Man, grounding lights is a wierd science. Thanks for your experience. It's good to know I'm not the only one out there scratching my head.
bluebanjo
Teardrop Builder

Return to Electrical Secrets