Square teardrop design

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Square teardrop design

Postby angib » Sun May 02, 2004 4:50 pm

At Buford's request, I have put the 'square teardrop' design back on my site at:

'Square' teardrop

I'm not too impressed by this design and I might try to do something better along these lines soon.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby slowpoke » Mon May 03, 2004 12:33 am

Hey thats pretty cool, thanks for putting that one up. Maybe a next project.......
slowpoke
Teardrop Builder

Postby denverd0n » Mon May 03, 2004 1:04 pm

Well, I think "square teardrop" is an oxymoron, but this is extremely close to a design that I have in mind. Here's my web page, the squared off model is the bottom thumbnail...

http://don.million.home.att.net/
denverd0n
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Mon May 03, 2004 1:16 pm

Don,

Can I ask why you are thinking square? Are you going to cover your baby in aluminum? If so, you might want to re-consider the front edge. It's easier to bend plywood and aluminum around a curve!

So how are you going to build up your ceiling and roof?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby denverd0n » Mon May 03, 2004 2:14 pm

Simpler construction. No, not planning an aluminum skin. Just paint over plywood. The square-ish construction would avert the need to create curved structural pieces or bend plywood.

I like the looks of the curved shape better, but I just think it would be easier to square it off, so I haven't decided.
denverd0n
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Square teardrop design

Postby jay » Sun May 09, 2004 5:17 pm

andrew; would it be possible to give the entire web address?

for some reason i cannot forward to it with the link in the message.

thanks
jay
Donating Member

Postby angib » Mon May 10, 2004 5:59 am

My main trailer page is:
http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear00.htm
(the 'www' link at the bottom of this message should go there too)

The square trailer is at:
http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear38.htm

and the Mini-Hopper (just added) is at:
http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear39.htm

HTH

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby BufordT » Wed May 12, 2004 4:02 am

denverd0n wrote:Well, I think "square teardrop" is an oxymoron, but this is extremely close to a design that I have in mind. Here's my web page, the squared off model is the bottom thumbnail...

http://don.million.home.att.net/

Don,

Are you planning on building this tear.

I really like this idea. You did a great job on thinking about this.
Would like to see this built one day.

Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby Joseph » Wed May 12, 2004 5:22 am

Unless the water tank is really small, I don't think I'd care to have it that high: it raises the trailer's center of gravity and puts too much strain on the roof. If it only holds six gallons, that's fifty pounds in water alone, plus whatever the tank weighs.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby denverd0n » Wed May 12, 2004 3:59 pm

Well, I thought a lot about the water tank. In fact, it holds a bit less than 6 gallons--closer to 5. I put it there mainly for simplicity's sake. This way I can have a spigot mounted to the tank with no need for a pump (that could fail) or hoses (that could leak). Not to mention saving the cost of a pump (oops! I mentioned it!).

I've conversed with others who have put their water tanks up high in their teardrops and not had any problem. So far, everyone with a negative comment has been someone who has never actually done it and suffered problems--just folks who envision problems.

I'm still debating this, though. I may decide to put the tank below the counter, use an electric pump, and run the outlet up to about where I have it shown now. At this point I'm just not certain.

For sure, if anyone out there has mounted their tank up high and had probelms as a result--I WANT TO HEAR ABOUT IT!!!
denverd0n
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Joseph » Wed May 12, 2004 6:25 pm

Hey Don,

denverd0n wrote:So far, everyone with a negative comment has been someone who has never actually done it and suffered problems--just folks who envision problems.

Well, that's certainly promising. One alternate if you do decide to mount it low is to simply put the spigot low - sort of like the level of a garden hose. Mine is inspired by the '39 Honeymoon House Trailer and that's how the original was done, though I've put in a hand pump on the top of the galley.

You know, now that I think of it, putting it down there is not such a bad idea - just put your pot on the ground and open the valve to fill it instead of having to pump. Easier to drain for winter too. Dang, I wish you'da brought this up sooner! :banghead:

Oh well, live and learn, die and forget it all...

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby mikeschn » Wed May 12, 2004 7:13 pm

Hey Don,

You could always transport the tank low, and move it into position when you are camping. I know. A 5 or 6 gallon tank is already kinda heavy!!! :(

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to Non-traditional Designs