A/C Placement

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

A/C Placement

Postby jje507 » Sun May 28, 2006 9:04 pm

Hey everybody,
Need some input on my a/c placement. I really don't have room up front, so I'm going to have to put it down by our feet. I'm just wondering about problems with blankets possibly getting in the way of the air return.
Has anyone had these problems and how did you solve them.
Thanks,
Jeff :thinking:
jje507
Silver Donating Member

Postby 48Rob » Mon May 29, 2006 6:25 am

Hi Jeff,

I've not done one "down by our feet", but a simple face extension would allow the air to be drawn from above, instead of in front.
Think snorkel.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Chip » Mon May 29, 2006 6:49 am

Jeff,, Ya could run into a problem if you fully block off the return air side of the a/c,, but its larger than the supply side and if ya mount it up as high as you can in the foot well ya probably will be ok,,, If ya just cant get it up above the blankets ya might try and figure out a baffle that would assure air flow down to the intake,,,

My problem is I have no space for an a/c either in the galley, footwell or headboard area,,, Soooooooo I am trying to "Ignajgeer" another option,,
I might have come upon an idea but its still on scratch paper and I would loose the use of a second door during use,, that is when I get the second door cut in,,, Good luck with getting it worked out,, Summer is definately here,,,

chipper
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby SteveH » Mon May 29, 2006 7:43 am

Jeff,

I know many may not like this for several reasons, but this is how I solved the problem.

SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Bandit » Mon May 29, 2006 8:48 am

I am placing my AC unit high in the headboard on a slideout. I purchased a RV hatch door that will be mounted in the front wall. When I get set up, I open the hatch, slide out the AC unit. This also gives me a little shelf in front of the AC unit when setup.
Since I am building a WeekEnder, the front wall is flat and makes this possible. I guess it is more difficult is the curved wall of a TD.
:thumbsup: :thinking:
First Metal Cut 02/11/06
Complete! (Almost) 08/22/06
Looking for a trip in the SPRING!!!!
Not Up to Testing the Heater!!!
Thanks for all the HELP!!!!
Bandit
Donating Member

Postby oklahomajewel » Mon May 29, 2006 9:47 am

I don't have mine installed yet, I'm about halfway thru the build -- but I've seen more than one person put it in the cabinet. You know, above your knees. Then put a vent up top or on mine, it will be on the side.
I saw Rickxr2's at Beavers Bend and he mentioned about the air kinda blowing towards their faces at night and was going to put a small little curtain or something to kind of baffle it.

The a/c I already bought, $89 at Lowe's , is 5050 btu and weighs 41 lbs.
This is going to be right above the axle line so I'm sure it'll be fine.

Good luck

Julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby john » Mon May 29, 2006 3:47 pm

Mine is mounted on the floor near my feet. When I first used it on our first trip I found that it would cycle off before drying the air. Although the temp got down to the right place, the humidity was still too high (the result of an over sized unit and I had the smallest one I could get). The first night camping an extra pillow made its way down to the A/C. By morning we awoke freezing. I figure the pillow got the efficentcy of the A/C unit down to what we need for the small tear.

i ended up experimenting with the pillow the next day. The worst I could expected from covering the front of the A/C with the pillow was evepoator freeze up. I never saw any ice. (never clog up the condensor side). Ever since this experience we keep an extra pillow in the tear for summer use.

This is just my experience and it worked for me.

My A/C install can be found below.
Build I -- Scenic ---
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8121727@N04/
Goto the Tear Build file

Build II -- Scenic II ---
viewtopic.php?t=29603

Build III -- Scenic Solo---
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50324

Travel Blog----Now without Political Commentary
http://polifrogblog.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -2009.html

The Constitution was ratified, not an interpretation thereof...

Penomeli ikibobo
john
john
500 Club

Postby kirtsjc » Tue May 30, 2006 6:59 am

john wrote:My A/C install can be found below.

Went to examine details on your A/C, and found lots of other neat stuff instead for my build!

Thanks for being so much more "photo"-oriented than I!!!

:R
kirtsjc
Silver Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques