6x12 Ezhauler conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 6x12 Ezhauler conversion

Postby flboy » Sun May 25, 2014 8:49 pm

sharkbait8574 wrote:I've been looking on ebay (and craigslist) but I am not finding the best of prices (on ebay after shipping is added). We'll visit the junkyard on Thursday after work, I just worry about how we are going to remove the windows. I'd love to add solar, but what can one actually run off solar?

Yes.. you do have to be patient. I found most of my stuff on E-Bay.

On the solar... it really depends. You don't really run anything directly from the solar panel. You are running from a 12VDC Deep cycle battery which is being charged by the solar panels. The more panels the more power and the quicker the battery charges to replace what you are using.

That being said, you can run any size inverter you want to run a microwave for instance.. or a coffee pot, TV, lighting or etc.. I have a 1500W inverter (DC to AC converter) ann can run a small 800W microwave to pop some popcorn or heat something for a few minutes. I tend to use my gas stove for coffee, as the coffee pot is a huge energy drain.

In my case I have 200 Watts of solar power that can get about 10 or 11 hours of sunlight. That is enough to get over 150 Amps over the course of the day and recharge the battery plus some (the battery is a 115 amp hour battery). It is kind of like a gas tank... need to store more to use more and you need more panels to keep up with more usage in the same day. I may get a second battery and another panel. I will see how it goes this way first.

In my case, I run a 2.3 Cubic Foot fridge all day and a 12vdc stereo occasionally. At night, I run a few 12VDC led lights and a 22" LCD TV. The fridge is always running. The battery will keep the fridge going all night until the sunrises as long as I don't use too much power for other things. If I run my generator on a warm night to keep the AC on... it also charges my batteries and runs the fridge. I can go off the grid for days and use little or no gas depending if I want to run the AC or not and how well I manage the power usage.

I hope this helps. :-)
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby sharkbait8574 » Sat May 31, 2014 7:34 pm

TN trip has been canceled.

Realizing this conversion is going to take a lot longer than expected. My electrical help is leaving for the summer and has recommend we really plan out the final layout of the trailer before we begin installing electrical.

Picked up two windows today from a junk yard that carries RVs. The rv windows were picked over so we went with two pick up topper windows. I need to re do the screens, but other than that, they'll work. Was hoping to find vents but nada. DId find two vents @ Broke and Poor salvage but they were $50/each and I was hoping to find a better deal.

Question: What'd everybody do for holding tanks? Something I had not thought of
sharkbait8574
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dustboy » Sat May 31, 2014 11:02 pm

I don't have a holding tank, just a hose through the floor. We put down a washtub to catch the water, so we aren't standing in mud (or making the ranger grumpy) while we do dishes. Then, dump it out before bed or if it gets full.

Otherwise, you could get a portable waste tank like this:

or just get a low profile RV waste tank and install under the floor.
dustboy
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:06 am

I use a portable tank just like that. I never really put anything into it. It is a decoy :lol: I slide it under and the sink output misses it. If they would ever notice, I would just say, "oh my gosh, somebody must have kicked it and misaligned". In reality, I am just washing dishes and brushing my teeth. Where I camp it is always so sandy, it soaks in quick. The only think I would say, if there are animal issues in the area you are camping in, just be sure to catch any food stuff in a sink screen. Where I camp there are a lot of black bears (yes in Florida), so I need to be cognizant of that.

So I recommend getting the smallest one you can get. :thumbsup:
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby sharkbait8574 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:06 pm

and the potty?
The plan for now is the handy bucket/newspaper/kitty litter combo but what about a black water tank later?
sharkbait8574
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dustboy » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:50 pm

I would go with a portable toilet, unless you're boondocking for more than a few days at a time.

http://www.amazon.com/Thetford-92360-Po ... 809&sr=1-5
dustboy
Teardrop Master

Postby jhamihvfd21 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:14 pm

i built a sub floor to put my tank for the toilet on because there was a cross member in the way to but the tank under the trailer
Attachments
PA170007.JPG
PA170007.JPG (78.57 KiB) Viewed 3178 times
jhamihvfd21
Teardrop Inspector

Postby flboy » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:24 pm

sharkbait8574 wrote:and the potty?
The plan for now is the handy bucket/newspaper/kitty litter combo but what about a black water tank later?

Blackwater is another story. I have a portable toilet for that that holds 5 gallons.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby sharkbait8574 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:28 pm

Update...

Just got back from roadtrippin to Maine. Tennessee trip was canceled.... er... rerouted, so the trailer stayed here.
We want to jump back into things and get her ready for maybe an extended weekend trip to Georgia in November to see the fall leaves.

My thoughts were we'd just get her ready for a couple nights stay... nothing fancy. Our friend said we've got to think long term though as far as the placement of everything before we even think of running electricity. I'm pretty okay taking her bare bones, but with the doggies we know we'd need ac. Now I am unsure of the whole thing as I have seen others mentioning not to ever leave the pets unattended- ac or not.

Thoughts
sharkbait8574
Teardrop Inspector

Postby sharkbait8574 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:19 pm

Been dreaming of the trailer as of late, and with this warm weather it's time to get to work.
Windows have been purchased- removed from a topper (truck). SUPER nervous about cutting into the beauty that is our trailer, but we've got to get over that. Anyone have experience with sealing? Hubby mentioned FlexSeal?
sharkbait8574
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rebapuck » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:53 pm

If you want cross ventilation, don't put windows directly opposite each other. Off set to air out more space.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby sharkbait8574 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:46 pm

Thanks @rebapuck. I wouldn;t have considered that.

EDIT: We planned on using windows purchased at a upullit from a used truck topper. They are slider (left to right) but they appear to not be THICK enough.

So back to the drawing board we go. ISO Windows. Supports are 1inch thick and the walls have thick plywood. What do I look for?
Attachments
windows placement.jpg
windows placement.jpg (76.88 KiB) Viewed 2706 times
sharkbait8574
Teardrop Inspector

Postby sharkbait8574 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:53 pm

911 HELP

Finally took the leap and installed one window but our friend CUT IT TOO BIG! It is framed well and not going anywhere but what do we do about the gap at the bottom (the luan)
sharkbait8574
Teardrop Inspector

Postby sharkbait8574 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:01 pm

Spent two weeks away. Now that we know we can cohabit in the tiny space with practically NO organization, we're ready to move forward.

First, let's seal the floor. We will be staying in the camper so I'd like it nice, and we will sometimes have the bike with us so permanent carpet is a no no.
sharkbait8574
Teardrop Inspector

6x12 Ezhauler conversion

Postby GerryS » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:09 pm

jhamihvfd21 wrote:i built a sub floor to put my tank for the toilet on because there was a cross member in the way to but the tank under the trailer

Do you have any details about the plumbing components here? How did you vent it?

I see the black pipe coming up out of the back....I assume you went straight up through the roof? Did you just use that RV roof sealant, or was there anything special because of the metal roof as opposed to wood and fiberglass?
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions