Grizz-Pod Teardrop Trailer - New tow truck - 66 Chevy

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Grizz-Pod Teardrop Trailer - New tow truck - 66 Chevy

Postby grizz » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:22 am

The thing I got today was a 2 berth caravan that had been used for some months as a large dog kennel.

I gutted the curtains, floor mats and all the mattresses before I even towed it home behind Nicola's car (which was today exchanged after failing its MOT )

I had been looking for a small shed to put up around the back at the garage, in which I could store all the parts of the Chevy as I stripped it, when the idea struck me, as I knew the local pub landlord had a 2 berth caravan to sell for £50.00 as well as another large one for £50.00 too.

Before I went down there, I called him and offered £40.00 which he accepted.

This is what I fetched........ 7 foot wide, body 13 foot long.

Back home I started to remove all the stuff inside, which includes a full awning, port-a-loo, water roll, cutlery, glasses, pans, and some other random stuff, including a spare wheel. Also found 17p.

Tomorrow I will vacuum clean it on the inside, then take my pressure cleaner to the inside too and wash the inside down, after which it needs to dry out, while I wash down the outsides.

Then park it around back, and start packing truck stuff from the garage into it.

Landed.

With some of the treasures.

Despite being terribly grubby, (made me gag in revulsion) it has a small toilet onboard and has potential to be restored to use once it has served its purpose as a spares shed.

The caravan/shed has been baptized by a South African friend as "THE KENNEL" and even if it becomes a camping caravan later, it will be known as The Kennel.

As usual I already have the next two incarnations in mind.

Once the truck is completed, the plan today is to have Nicola turn the inside into a cool little weekend away space.

The exterior may well end up in some mad NASCAR livery........ Think Sinclair Oil Corporation, or other similar with Red as a major component. I like the idea of having a Dinosaur on the rear, with its head poking around to the side of the door.

Today I spent about 5 hours washing the interior surfaces, undersides, topsides etc by hand with a rag and loads of Cillit Bang! About 6 buckets of water etc. I also cleaned the Porta Potty and other items that were in it when I got it. The awning and poles were wiped down and packed away under the mattress-less bunks.

The caravan was really only good for a bonfire, and to be honest, anyone who kept his dog in that thing deserved to be punched in the face.

After the interior, I spent a few more hours with a pressure cleaner, getting the roof, sides etc cleaned up.

Imagine a Dinosaur looking around the corner.

After that I parked it up outside the garage in front of the woodwork shed.

Spent a few hours today dismantling the interior, masking up window frames, cabinets etc and then proceeded to paint the first coat of Magnolia.

This is what the interior loooked like after my marathon cleaning session yesterday

Next coat will probably go on at 05.00 tomorrow.

Then I will try to leave it alone.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:54 am

Nice looking caravan! Would probably sell for $300 - $500 here!
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby grizz » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:33 am

Cliffmeister2000 wrote:Nice looking caravan! Would probably sell for $300 - $500 here!

Hi Cliff, possibly in decent condition.....

However.

Went to the pub to look for another rear window for the shed......

Noticed the interior was still on the bonfire pile.

This is what I started with,

Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby grizz » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:08 am

Happy 4th of July weekend to all our American friends.

Nothing like football and a pickup truck to say YEEEHAWW !!

Been driving this truck a lot the last few weeks and thoroughly enjoying it.

It really does put a stoopid grin on my face when I am in it, and also the amount of people who either drop their windows in traffic, give me the thumbs up or take mobile pics, as well as a couple with iPads (yes, it seems a bit eager) does make you realize the truck has an undeniable presence on the road

It kinda makes me sad for my mate who has come to a point in his life where he is selling his awesome '74 C20 Camper Special with 350/350 combo.
I think he will miss it madly once it is gone. But hey-ho.... that's he way life goes.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131232820099? ... EBIDX%3AIT

My Smile per Mile pic of the week.

Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby grizz » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:08 am

This week I won some travel vouchers at work which means I will be going to the USA on a truck and bike oriented road trip with mate Martin in October 2015.

Central to our trip is the weekend of 17th October when we will be in Fayetteville Arkansas for Clem's Old Truck Cruise In.

I spoke to Clem earlier tonight about Martin and I attending his party, and was told that we were now booked into his Vintage Airstream Trailers that have been converted to accommodation units on his property.

Coolest thing is that he lives in a 1950's Sinclair Gas Station.

On the trip we hope to get some spares for the trucks and meet up with friends from Leander, Texas up to Tulsa, Oklahoma and a bunch of places I between.

Early days, but early planning could see us save a few pennies to spend on beer.

I will be honest, the only way big multi-nationals give away money is if you have given more than the pound of flesh they demand.

We get set very stiff sales targets every year and have to exceed them, but also do loads of peripheral things.

So in this case less luck, and probably more sweat..

Up early and home late. Create training meetings, deliver training to customers who really do not want to be there etc.

Our industry has changed massively over the last 7 years and it seems everyone is battling, but you still need to get out of bed every day and go chase those elusive customers.

Eventually it pays off, and if you have an intelligent manager who notices stuff, then you may get recognised in these awards.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rebapuck » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:30 pm

If you work so hard, how the devil do you get so much done at home? I'm retired 6 years and I feel like I'm still catching up on sleep.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby grizz » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:36 am

rebapuck wrote:If you work so hard, how the devil do you get so much done at home? I'm retired 6 years and I feel like I'm still catching up on sleep.

No idea. But I just like to keep busy.

My dad used to say about our family "The Kemp's were not made to be idle"

There are many "dead zone" times in the day, like the hour after I wake in the morning but before I get ready for work. Could lie in bed and snooze (which is nice) or go do something downstairs.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby grizz » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:38 am

Being busy with creating the spray booth inside the garage, I have thought of a gazebo on front of it to do most of the dirty dusty filler work.

Yesterday FREECYCLE partially delivered with the ad copied and pasted below........

Scaffolding pipes and fittings to:
BUILD A TEMPORARY CARPORT IN FRONT OF GARAGE.

" I have some scaffolding bits which used to be put together to form a yacht cradle - they supported a 30ft yacht ashore during its winter maintenance. Those days are long gone and the scaffolding needs to go.

It comprises about 20 poles, roughly speaking:

6 off 4m long
6 off 2m long
6 off 1-1.5m long
few other odds and ends

Plus a boxful of clamps to hold it all together, and drawings / photos if anyone wants to use it as a boat cradle for something 20-30 ft long!

There are a load of wooden blocks used to level it and 6 support pads to rest against the hull of the boat.

Anyone welcome to take away whether as boat cradle, scaffolding components or scrap. "

Last night Martin and I went down to Gillingham in his Mondeo ST Estate with roof bars fitted and my Focus to collect all the pipework and fittings.

Took it all home and unloaded, followed by a cuppa tea made by Nicola and Martin delivering Christmas prezzies. One of which he insisted I open there.

Nice big box, not too heavy......hmmmmm??
What could it be??

Industrial ear plugs....... For our trip to the USA next year? His protection or mine?

Cheeky bugger.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby grizz » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:43 am

Small update.

Done nothing except move stuff around in the garage yesterday.

Today Nicola and I refitted the kitchen, which we have not been able to use since the flood and ceiling issue in September.
Glen, our plasterer and decorator finished downstairs yesterday ( He gets a house key and works between big jobs, but it means a substantial saving that can be used elsewhere but the house is upside down for longer) I was also helping him yesterday.

Today I tried a single 6 fin oil heater in the spray booth area for almost 3 hours....... Made no difference, but I suspect my gas panel heater or the gas blower type heater will make a difference.

I found out yesterday that Walmart in Texas had Chevy C10 Short Fleetside models in stock, so asked Bret to get Martin and I each one as want to custom match the paint on them to whatever we do to our trucks. Mine will be a bit easier, as it's a Short Fleet, but he has a Long Fleet, at least he will be able to get the colour matched to his paint.

They are currently Blue, but that can be changed.

Andy, and his gang in Bret's garage have offered to look after the trucks for us till we collect them in October in exchange for storage fees. Seems he has an eye on a restored truck for him and the boyos.

Image20141219_182307 by bjohnson388, on Flickr

Image20141219_182319 by bjohnson388, on Flickr

Image20141219_182324 by bjohnson388, on Flickr

Image20141219_182240 by bjohnson388, on Flickr
Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:54 am

:stompspam:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.

Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby grizz » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:34 am

Cliffmeister2000 wrote::stompspam:

More on topic......

Weirdly, though completed 5 years ago, it is never really finished.

Got an email from friend Scot "Jabbo" today enquiring about the set of four polished ally Radar wheels I had on the Teardrop trailer and in storage.

This meant I ended up removing them, and he will collect at 21.00 tonight.

It also means I now need to find someone who can make me a set of adapters for the Multi fir 5 stud Chrome Smoothies I have. No idea how we are going to get 4 studs into the hub and 5 studs I to the adapter..... But that will be another days problem.

Did mock up the Smoothie though.

HERE'S A QUESTION FIR THE CLEVER GUYS WHO KNOW ABOUT TYRES FITTED TO RIMS.

Scot is giving me back two of the tyres.

They are 185/65-15's and the Smoothies are 6J 15's

I guess there will be a bit if stretch if fitted. Any opinions?

So these are the adapters. Hubs are four stud.

And the magic will happen when someone can figure how to add another 5 mounting holes to the centre of the adapter to fit these Multi fit 5 stud rims.

And that meant the end of another weekend.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:57 am

Wow, that's a lot of holes! :shock:

So the wheels won't fit the 5 lug hubs on the axle? Any chance you can get a different set of hubs that will work on your axle?
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.

Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:17 am

Yea I'd say try new hubs if you can, how far off are the 5 stud adapters?
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:11 am

Neither of the dual lug pattern patterns match the adapter? 5 on 5 and 5 on 5-1/2 vs. 5 on 4-1/2?

Unless you need the extra back spacing, I too would look into replacement 5 lug hubs that match one of the wheel's patterns.

I do rather like the smoothies with moons better than the more modern look of the previous wheels. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby grizz » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:54 pm

KCStudly wrote:Neither of the dual lug pattern patterns match the adapter? 5 on 5 and 5 on 5-1/2 vs. 5 on 4-1/2?

Unless you need the extra back spacing, I too would look into replacement 5 lug hubs that match one of the wheel's patterns.

I do rather like the smoothies with moons better than the more modern look of the previous wheels. :thumbsup:

Trucks chrome smoothies now just a memory.

As are more modern wheels off Teardrop.

You are right, the hubs ideally need re drilling and fixing of 5 stud to fit one of the two patterns represented on the new chrome steeliness.

Will look it over on the weekend.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals