Michigan Tear Jerker - Gathering Ideas 2015

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Michigan Tear Jerker - Gathering Ideas 2015

Postby Tabazooron » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:39 pm

Looks like many from Michigan will be going to Tears Over Niagara (New York Chapter) in June and the Southern Ontario gathering in May PLUS, we will be working to get as many as possible to CRA 2015 That is the Midwest Regional gathering in Indiana in July.
That in mind, I have some data that has been collected from members as to their choices.

#1. Macinac Island, Macinaw City and the Bridge have generated some interest. This area is packed all summer long so we, as a group would to make up our minds very early so we could get good sites at a nearby campground - private or State Park. The idea would need to cover the island on Saturday and the surrounding areas on Friday or????? Lots to see and do.

#2. Grand Haven area. Lighthouses, nightly musical fountain, many shops and tourist stuff to do and see. There is an antique camper show/gathering at Hoffmaster each year so that could be incorporated????

#3. Yankee Springs. My reason for this one is that among the people who rank them, The Gilmore Car Museum is in the top 5 or 3 in the country. They have over 350 cars to see, plus the new speciality museums for Ford, Lincoln and Cadillac. I can get reduced rates but this place is real a sleeper and I feel we should go there some year.

#4. VanBuren State park area, is close to South Haven, Douglas and Sagatuck - all tourist traps, but much to see and do.

#5. Au Sable River/Tawas Point State Park Great area with the River Road National Senic Byway and the Au Sable river. There are places to rent canoes and kayaks or bring your own. Hear that it's a beautiful sight from the water as well as the road. Plus the lighthouse at the State Park has tours and programs. Beautiful area.

I have sketches for a couple of crawls, 2 lighthouse ones and 2 around the lake tours. But with the CRA in 2015, I think they might be too much for an old man like me.

Also mentioned: Could we pick a park near the center of the state and have our Spring or Fall gathering there every year?

As always, I'm open to thoughts and ideas.
Ron H
Great Lakes Chapter of TearJerkers
Tabazooron
Silver Donating Member

Re: Michigan Tear Jerker - Gathering Ideas 2015

Postby Tabazooron » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:00 pm

So we decided that we'll gather at Brighton Recreation Area for our Spring gathering. May 1-3. It is near Howell and offers lots of activities, even in May......

We also will be present at the Hoffmaster Vintage & Unique Camper Gathering June5-7. It is near Muskegon and Grand Haven. Lots signed up already.

We are doing our Fall Gathering at Tawas Point State Park (above the thumb on the mitten). There is so much to see there with a lighthouse in the campground and a 22 mile tour along the Ausable River.

Details on the TearJerker site. Hope to see lots of people.
Ron H
Tabazooron
Silver Donating Member

Postby Tabazooron » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:51 pm

Wondering if there is any interest in the U.P. of Michigan? We've been thinking about the Copper Harbor area and Porcupine Mountains.
Ron H
Tabazooron
Silver Donating Member

Postby DrCrash » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:18 pm

interested here . When were not out west we are up there in municing.
DrCrash
The 300 Club

Postby Tabazooron » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:15 pm

We did a crawl across the UP in 2012. 10 days, 4 state parks and a bunch of stuff along the way including the pictured rocks lakeshore & boat tour. Beautiful places.
Ron H
Tabazooron
Silver Donating Member

Postby Chuckles » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:49 pm

I would love to attend a gathering up in the UP. I haven't been to any gatherings yet but I'm hoping I can make to to Cooler By The Lake for Saturday and Sunday this April.

Took a trip up to pictured rocks last fall and had a great time.

Chuck
Chuckles
Teardrop Master

Postby Tabazooron » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:50 pm

Chuckles wrote:I would love to attend a gathering up in the UP. I haven't been to any gatherings yet but I'm hoping I can make to to Cooler By The Lake for Saturday and Sunday this April.

Took a trip up to pictured rocks last fall and had a great time.

Chuck

We are working on some ideas and will keep you updated. We are working on a crawl across the U.P. over a ten day period, including two weekends, but still in the planning stages.
Ron H
Tabazooron
Silver Donating Member

Postby Chuckles » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:44 pm

Tabazooron wrote:
We are working on some ideas and will keep you updated. We are working on a crawl across the U.P. over a ten day period, including two weekends, but still in the planning stages.

Thanks Tab... it looks like Cooler-By-The-Lake is not going to work with my Wife's schedule so I hope we can make at least part of the U.P. Crawl...I'm really looking forward to it. let me know when you have some dates.

Chuck
Chuckles
Teardrop Master

Postby Tabazooron » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:07 pm

Just a quick note about the Vintage/Unique camper gathering at Hoffmaster State Park the first weekend of june:
This IS NOT a TCT gathering. There is a group that has a saturday breakfast, evening pot-luck and hires a band for sat evening entertainment. If you join in their festivities, you'll be asked to pay $40.00.
TearJerkers are having our gathering seperate with a Fri Meet-N-Greet, Sat shared breakfast and Sat evening pot-luck. There is no charge to join in our group.
Ron H
Tabazooron
Silver Donating Member

Postby Tabazooron » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:57 am

We have 42 people signed up for the spring gathering at Brighton Rec Area, so far. Anyone else interested?
Ron H
Tabazooron
Silver Donating Member

Postby Tabazooron » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:59 am

Tried to get here two years ago but now it's on the list for our Fall Gathering. Tawas Point State Park.
This is "on the mitten - half-way up the index finger" so to speak..... Northeastern Michigan shoreline.
Au Sable River/Tawas Point State Park Great area with the River Road National Senic Byway and the Au Sable river. There are places to rent canoes and kayaks or bring your own. Hear that it's a beautiful sight from the water as well as the road. Plus the lighthouse at the State Park has tours and programs. Beautiful area with lots to see.
If we reserve early, we can get some sites by the water and enjoy som of the few sand Lake Huron beaches, Michigan has.
This park fills so fast it's almost impossible to gather there before Labor Day.
The River Road is 22 miles of scenic drives, outlooks, monuments and dams. The Tawas Point lighthouse is in the park and is open for tours and viewing.
If people like this we could plan a lighthouse crawl as Michigan still has many that are open to the public and groups.
We are camping at site #34.
Ron H
Tabazooron
Silver Donating Member

Postby Tabazooron » Sun May 10, 2015 6:13 pm

Had 42 happy campers at our Brighton spring gathering, last weekend. Beautiful weather and lots of fum.
Ron H
Tabazooron
Silver Donating Member

Postby Tabazooron » Fri May 15, 2015 7:33 am

Our next gathering is the Vintage & Unique Camper & Tear Jerker Gathering. It's at Hoffmaster State Park, near Muskegon. The park is nearly sold out.
Ron H
Tabazooron
Silver Donating Member

Postby shawla » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:36 pm

Do you have anything planned for Michigan in 2016? I am considering buying a teardrop and would like to see some and talk to owners
shawla
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:08 pm

shawla best thing is to check the TearJerkers forum http://www.tearjerkers.net/
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Next

Return to Midwest