PLEASE!!!!! I need electrical help.

Anything electric, AC or DC

PLEASE!!!!! I need electrical help.

Postby sdscheib_76 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:31 am

Hello all,

Here is my problem. I have read a couple electrical wiring books but I am still clueless. All I want to do is run 1 light w/ switch, a small ac unit, 1 two plug outlet, and a small fridge. I don't want a battery and want to plug into whatever outlet a campground has ( is this shore power? can someong please explain it to me because I am clueless.) :? I am pretty good at basic wiring but not sure what i have to buy and how to wire for a campground. Can someone [u][b]PLEASE[/b][/u] help me understand about shore power and let me know what all I need to buy!!! :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Thanks so much!

Scott
sdscheib_76
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:16 am

Scott, shorepower is a reference to 120VAC supplied by the campground...for no more than you are wanting, a couple of GFI power strips would probably do ya.......
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby oklahomajewel » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:01 am

Yeah, I'm clueless too... but I believe it was Hap or Jim in Arkansas that has just a hole on the side of the tear, then runs a cord from the elec box at the campsite thru there and to a 6 outlet power strip on his galley counter. Then the cord for coffee maker, a/c, etc could run to that.

I considered that but hopefully will be getting more knowledge person to do the wiring and he'll know how to do the breaker thing. I'm pretty clueless too... it's over my head.... but ....
Julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Arne » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:18 am

Here are a couple of real basic diagrams..Black is hot, White is Neutral, Green is ground. The green is for safety. The power comes in the black and returns via the white...... remember, 120v can kill, always disconnect before working on it, and always have a circuit breaker near the power source (it will 'blow' if a short is in the power circuit.... A GFI (ground fault interrupter is the safest, as it senses minor shorts)..... Also, a receptacle has gold colored screws on one side, that is where the black/hot wires connect. The other screws are silver color, that is where the white/ground wires connect.

I would assume libraries or book stores or home depot might carry basic wiring books.

www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:35 am

Scott
First buy a really good (not expensive) outdoor rated, with 3 prong plug, drop cord. Or go to the RV center and ask for one. This is your shore power. If someone has a picture of the head it will probably help a great deal.Second: What MJ said to start with. As you camp you will get to know what you really need.

Third: run around in the electrical dept of any big store. Read the lables on stuff, so you will know what they look like. Words make more sense when you have a physical thing to connect them to.

4th http://www.nfdc.net/home/cbdb/Teardrop%20Electric.htm

if that doesn't get you try the generic benroy, Tom Swensens build and Joannes Desert Dawg. They all have real good diagrams and pictures. There are lots of others here these are just the ones I remember best.

Miriam
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby JasonTX » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:49 am

I've noticed on several build photos that they are running the wires without using some type of conduit. What is the reason for not using conduit. I can't imagine having to rip the roof off to gain access to the wires.
JasonTX
Teardrop Builder

Postby toypusher » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:18 am

JasonTX wrote:I've noticed on several build photos that they are running the wires without using some type of conduit. What is the reason for not using conduit. I can't imagine having to rip the roof off to gain access to the wires.

Space (or more exactly, the lack of space) and it makes the process much more complicated. If you make solid runs with good wire, you should never have to access the wire itself. Maybe the switches and or outlets or lights etc, but not the wire. Make sure to plan ahead and run everything that you need and no changes will be necessary. Steve Frederick uses conduit for wiring in the teardrops he builds, but not for all of the wiring, if I remember correctly.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Chris C » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:30 am

You're right, Kerry. Steve uses conduit in the walls, but not in the ceiling.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby Chuck Craven » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:01 pm

Most campgrounds now have been wired to the new federal standard. One 20 amp 120v ac outlet with its own breaker and one 50 amp 220 volt two phase outlet and breaker, for big campers or motor home type class A campers. Your tear will use the 20 amp 120v ac outlet. You will need to use a male 20 amp inlet ( look at www.mcmaster.com/ a 20 amp male receptacle is 8036K4 $14.00. You can use a cast aluminum cover with a rubber seal. This way you only need to use a 20 amp extension cord for interconnecting to the campground power pole. Don’t connect the green ground wire to the frame of the trailer. That is needed only if you are using the 50a 220 volt plug or a integral power generator. You don’t have to, but I would first wire to a 20 amp GFI outlet, then wire from that outlet to the rest of the circuits. You do not have to have a breaker panel. Just remember the max current you can draw will have to be fewer than 20 amps, else the power pole breaker will pop. Arne’s diagram looks good. Keep it simple and you will not have any problems down the road. Just remember don’t put any nails or screws into the wiring. Shorts are hardest things to troubleshoot. Good luck! :thumbsup:
Chuck
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

Postby Chuck Craven » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:22 pm

OOPS gave you the wrong MC M C part number! The 120v one is 8036K2. . . . . .11.16 :oops:
Chuck
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:03 pm

This is a picture of the 8036k2 that Chuck has the link to. ($11.16)

Chuck~ does this have the same wiring as Leviton. (screws on the back)
(Black to gold, white to silver, and bare or green to ground?) Don't know if the ground is green colored.)

in another thread I gave a leviton link. Leviton does not make a 20 amp inlet so if you went that way you would have to go 30 amps. A waisted expense.

Miriam
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Chuck Craven » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:07 pm

Yes it is a national electrical code rated connector. ;)
Chuck
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

Postby Melvin » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:44 pm

Chuck Craven wrote:Most campgrounds now have been wired to the new federal standard. One 20 amp 120v ac outlet with its own breaker and one 50 amp 220 volt two phase outlet and breaker, for big campers or motor home type class A campers.

That 220V50A service is still only single phase not two phase.
Commandant Louis Joseph Lahure has a singular distinction in military history - he defeated a navy on horseback. Occupying Holland in January 1795, the French continental army learned that the mighty Dutch navy had been frozen into the ice around Texel Island. So Lahure and 128 men simply rode up to it and demanded surrender. No shots were fired.
Melvin
Teardrop Master

Postby Chuck Craven » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:44 pm

It is two phase! “TWO 120v volts to neutral”, or 220v single phase. The power pole connector is a four-wire connector with two hot wires (black), neutral wire (white) and a ground wire (green). You will have 220v from black to black wire and 120v from ether black wire to the white neutral wire. The green ground wire is a safety ground wire that needs to be connected to your power distribution panel and trailer chassis only. No ground rods! 220v circuit cannot be GFI protected as both wires are hot and can supply an uneven current distribution. Making a GFI useless.
Chuck
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

"2 phase"

Postby Rev. Ken » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:37 am

I'm new here and i don't want to upset anyone. But I have been a Union Electrician for 18 years, there is no such thing as two phase it is still single phase. Even tho you have two hot wires we stil lcal lit single phase.
And to correct what someone else said. While the black wire does carry the curent to the outlet the white does not carry it back. The reason for the neutral is to carry the unbalanced load and with anyone plugging up to a 110volt line at a camp ground you will never have an unbalanced load. I guess i've gone on long enough.
Have a Blessed day.
Rev. Ken
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets