Tail lights?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Tail lights?

Postby Chris C » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:34 am

I'm wanting to use LED tail lights for my teardrop. Obviously, I want the brightest I can find. :thumbsup: There are so many different companies making and selling them and all the information I find seems "brand biased". :roll: Is there an independant place I could find comparative information? :thinking:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:42 am

:shhh: :rofl:
You were no doubt looking for a Nader type guru of tail lights. :lol:

Price might be a good indicator of value here. I went to Premier truck parts and the guy gave me a catalog of what they can get as opposed to what is in stock. Some are expensive.

I will bet in your area there is a custom shop or truck supply and they will carry catalogs too.

Got "Grote" and "Truck-Lite" Maybe they have a web site and can tell you who in your area carries thier stuff.

Miriam
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Ken A Hood » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:12 am

The ones I got have 61 LED's in them. The description says;
"Super Max 4" Red 61 LED Stop Tail Turn Light. These 12-volt lights have (61) LED's in each light and are Very Very bright and use about 1/10 the power of standard lights so you can add on 10 times as many lights without overloading your electrical system."

I originally bought the wrong kind (with the flange/trim ring built in) but they were only 44 LED's

Here's a pic; I think it's the one I have now the 61 LED's

Here's the info on the ones I returned (flanged 44 LED)
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby madjack » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:48 am

Chris, we used a 10(Large)LED 2x6 surface mount light manufactured by Optronics, it is very bright. I have seen this same light sell from 16 to 35 bucks apiece from various dealers...I bought 'em from my local RedNeck Trailer Supply dealer for $16.25 each...they have a black trim ring and have a white or chrome snap on ring available....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Chris C » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:35 pm

This is one of those items where I'm less concerned with price than I am conspiciousness. With no protection from a rear-end collision, I want as bright a set of stop and signal lights as I can possibly get. Do I need two tail/stop lights and seperate signals, or are these lights wired to do both?

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Chris C

Postby Chris C » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:37 pm

Miriam C. wrote::shhh: :rofl:
You were no doubt looking for a Nader type guru of tail lights. :lol:

Price might be a good indicator of value here. I went to Premier truck parts and the guy gave me a catalog of what they can get as opposed to what is in stock. Some are expensive.

I will bet in your area there is a custom shop or truck supply and they will carry catalogs too.

Got "Grote" and "Truck-Lite" Maybe they have a web site and can tell you who in your area carries thier stuff.

Miriam

You know, Miriam, there was a time in my life when "price reflects quality" held true. Any more, I'm not convinced that's always applicable. It's a shame too because there are so many choices for anything one wants to buy and very little really useful information from which to make a choice.

Chris C

Postby madjack » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:49 pm

Chris, on the lights I mentioned, they incorporate stop/turn/tail in one unit...it would be very simple to use more that one per side...as many as you like until your whole hatch is covered ;)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:49 pm

You know, Miriam, there was a time in my life when "price reflects quality" held true. Any more, I'm not convinced that's always applicable. It's a shame too because there are so many choices for anything one wants to buy and very little really useful information from which to make a choice.

How right you are. I gave up reasearch and decided to find a medium priced, hopefully sealed fixture, with better than plastic trim. Don't know if you be sure of anything without a trusted reference.

Oh and I wanna like it. :lol: Which is why I was given the catalog. Think he could see I was missing something. 8)

Miriam
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Darren » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:07 pm

Chris, I got mine on ebay, the one on the left. It has 10 of the large square LED's and it's very bright. The seller goes by cpminc200.

Darren
the camper formerly known as Victor Star

Postby Chris C » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:28 pm

Thanks, but I don't have the slightest idea how to find a specific seller on e-bay.

Chris C

Postby Darren » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:53 pm

Do a search for "led boat trailer lights" on ebay. They will show up on the first page that way. They might be the same lights that madjack got but I paid more for mine. :cry:
Darren

Postby madjack » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:07 pm

VS, I am very curious as to how bright that little LED dome light is....................................................... 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Chris C » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:20 pm

Meeeeee Tooooooo!

Chris C

Postby Darren » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:22 pm

Not nearly as bright as I'd like them to be. I got white and blue ones and I think the blue is the brightest. They were cheap anyway. I'll try to get a photo tonight with them on.
Darren

Postby asianflava » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:50 pm

I got these from Boater's World. They aren't super bright, but they do the job. I installed 2, one on each side.

asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets