Splendid! That must be a relief!
Sheryl
If all these people did it, so can I.
My build thread: Hybrid Foamie in Southern Alberta
Shar
Teardrop Master

Re: HOUSE IN A HOUSE

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:55 am

Well I got a sudden burst of energy and decided to finish out the pantry.......

I found this in a yard sale 2 weeks ago for 25 bucks Image

I decided I would place it in the HIH living room and move the plain 45 corner cabinets into the pantry.....

I also finished the floor in there giving a 6.6 R factor to that cold cement floor......Image

The walls of the pantry were lined with the insulated zip panel also. Where there was a stud I took my table saw and removed the 1" closed cell insulation on the back.

(the table saw came from the same sale for $100.00) :thumbsup:

The wall voids were left in tact and I also added 3 layers of 3/4 blue closed cell foam in the stud cavity. This gives the walls in this area just a fuzz under R 18 !

I thought since the remaining walls will probably have open shelves and contain pots pans and other clunky items the fiberglass faced osb would hold up far better than plain ol' drywall.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:34 pm

The many lives of a piece of construction scrap.

I gathered up the cuttings from the shop floor of small 2 -5 inch wide by 2 to 3 foot long rips of this fiberglass faced osb with insulation that I used to line the pantry and the pantry floor. I had stuffed this scrap board in the trash can without much thought. I later was working on a sort of punch list for the house in a house and decided I needed to fir down the bi-fold closet door track as the guide pin kept dropping out at the top indicating the track was a bit too high.
I retrieved one of the afore mentioned sticks and running it thru the table saw cut it to about 7/8 inch wide. I ran it thru on its side and removed the inch of foam and a bit of the thickness of the 7/16 osb. Now with a small shim about 7/8 wide by 5/16 thick I removed and then reinstalled the folding door upper track installing my little home designed shim between the track and the framed closet opening. I now had a nice fit and the upper guide pin no longer tried to escape.
I turned to a pantry cabinet install and needed a resting ledge to make it possible to set the cabinet level and at the right height. I needed one hand free to run the screw gun to fasten the cabinet to the wall while pinning the carcus to the wall in the correct location. I remembered the remaining piece of the osb that I had cut the 7/8 piece from. The edge was straight so all I had to do was mark the correct height for the bottom of the cabinet ( actually cabinets there were two) I marked the right and left center mark to orient the cabinets to the center. Now my scrap straight edge was screwed to the wall and used as an extra hand to rest the cabinet on and complete the installation.

I later noticed I had one bad gap between the floor covering so again I took my scrap stick and taper cut it to fill the offending gap.
So to make a long story short do you ever really know when scrap is truly scrap?

Last edited by bobhenry on Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby godskid » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:58 pm

bobhenry wrote:Zoning laws :x

Let me tell you about zoning laws :x

Never mind I paid the fine and removed my tiny house and that made the zoning folks happy.

Hey ... this post from May 21 ... were you saying you had to move your Caboose house AGAIN, this time away from the place where you weren't supposed to make ruts in the grass? We haven't heard any more about that location, so maybe that IS what this post meant. I was hoping that wasn't the case.
godskid
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:26 am

Hey kid ! Look over in the caboose thread and you will see it all. We have had the wettest June on record here in Indiana and I have had planned on 3 occasions now to move the caboose. Each weekend we had worm drownding rains and I had to rethink the move. There are pictures of the setting on the caboose thread. I have 9 weekends to get the caboose peripherals set up for late fall and each weekend wasted is a bullet in the chest.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby godskid » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:21 pm

I think it stopped sending me updates. I *had* been subscribed to that thread. I've just now clicked UN subscribe and then RE subscribe. And I'm catching up on reading what I missed. :D
godskid
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:37 am

Well the house in a house escaped again !

A year and a half ago almost to the day a tornado destroyed a 20,000 sq ft factory within walking distance of the HIH!

11/17/13 Image

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This weekend this occurred 2.5 miles from the house.

I thanked the big guy upstairs when I got home !

Had the barn trailer outside getting it ready for the CRA. I imagined I would find it wrapped around a tree after the wind shoved it across the lot at 60 MPH but it hadn't moved.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby pchast » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:59 pm

Wow! :shock:

Glad you are Ok.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:41 am

I took the road less traveled home last night and 7/10 of a mile from the house was (the operative word WAS) a beautiful little wooded meadow with lush trees and a small creek fed pond. I now looks like a lumber logging operation complete with trees floating in the pond. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thanks again big guy ! :worship:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:24 am

Well I gained some floor space in the house in a house shop last night. Rip Van Winkle my 4x8 tiny trailer went bye- bye for the final time. He has gone to a new home.
It was kinda like an archaeological dig to find him in all the new found junk. He needed some air in one tire and a minor repair to his electrical wiring but he sure looked cute motoring off into the distance.

Good bye little guy........Image
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Sabatical » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:59 pm

Congrats!
Sabatical
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bobhenry » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:44 am

Ever at the ready to stop I keep an eye out for in the trash tossed out goodies that might be able to be repurposed.

During my 17 mile trip to work I often spy good "JUNK" ,this morning was no exception !

There it was setting waiting for the trash man. A totally complete stainless steel bar sink. Goose neck faucet and all.

Heck it even had the factory drain stopper.

Well its mine now. I may use it on the "patio" of the caboose house as an outside prep sink .

Then again it might make a nice addition to the house in a house as I currently have no running water there for dish cleanup.
Last edited by bobhenry on Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby dales133 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:07 pm

Enjoy reading your threads bob but hadnt caught up for a while.
Sorry ro hear about your injury!
I bare the scars of lack of attention on woodworking machinery too ...hows the recovery going?
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels