Mod-nose Weekender

Member designs created in Sketchup or other cad program

Mod-nose Weekender

Postby Alan_H » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:45 pm

Weelll, I have finally settled on a design. I like the weekender design, Mike thanks for refreshing your page!

I had a few options that I was considering, so, as some do, I have modified the design.

My TV is a 2015 Subaru Forester, so I'm trying to stay in similar height and width dimensions. Not completely possible, but we do what we can.

My "mod-nose" is a semi-V-nose style, while still retaining the Weekender lines... to an extent...

Here is the profile...

Here it is from the right-front.. In this view, you see the box area in the lower front to accommodate the tilt hardware that is already on my trailer. I'm not removing this feature, as I plan to have 4 stabilizers, and may lower the tongue to prevent busted shins. I may also be modifying the tongue to be a swing-away as well. You can also see my star gazer window.. if the budget allows it.

Now this view shows the real picture of my modified nose... The Tear is 5' wide up to the front, but the front face is 4', and the front-side panels angle in to meet it.

The different shade of brown is the area modified, the roof portion retains the same slope,but also narrows in to meet the side panels.

I have also made my sidewalls 52" high, as I have a 7" deep floor with in-floor storage and a foot area for sitting inside the tear to eat or watch TV

I also have not drawn in my vent, but it will have one.

My door openings are 30" x 36" to accommodate for the largest possible pre-fab doors. I am going pre-fab, just haven't decided on actual size yet, or 1 or 2 doors. If I start off with 1, I will frame the opposite wall the same to accommodate a future door, should I decide it's necessary.

I plan on having a slide-out from the driver's side under the galley for a Pet cooler, A/C & Heat ducted unit.

Please provide feedback on my design.
Alan_H
Lifetime member

Re: Mod-nose Weekender

Postby Alan_H » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:59 pm

I also meant to note, the top-front angle is also sloped back more than the standard Weekender for 2 reasons.

First, due to the added 6" in height, I can do it without interfering with the door, and...
2, it allow the roof panel to be 48" wide, so as to use standard ply-wood.

The lines you see in the side-walls are at 48" and 96" to splice the ply on the sides.

Also, I haven't drawn in the front bulkhead/cabinet, as it was difficult enough to work the angled walls without trying to work those into sketchup, but it will have them.

BTW, if anyone wants additional views, just let me know.
Alan_H
Lifetime member

Postby pchast » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:43 pm

Neat idea for the shape.
I'll like to see how you frame it.
:D
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Gold5one » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:37 pm

I angled my front in a couple inches on each side of my Weekender-XL- I had tested the 3/8" plywood and determined I could bend it that much without much difficulty. I have no way to determine , if it was worth the extra building effort, but my HHR was showing a steady 20mpg when I towed my build on a 30 mile round trip to the scales and back. I probably added an extra 20 hours of work doing this, but I'm retired, so my time is plentiful.
If you stand in the front corner you can see the couple extra inches of sidewall showing. I was trying to eliminate some of the wind turbulence/drag in the front corners.
"the slow road has the most adventure"
Mark

2022- Trek Freedom camper- journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74522

Weekender-XL build journal
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61445
sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby Alan_H » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:25 pm

pchast wrote:Neat idea for the shape.
I'll like to see how you frame it.
:D

I'm working on that! :thinking:

I think my front bulk head will comprise the very front edge of my raised floor, and had a center divider that braces on the current metal structure mentioned in regard to the tilt on the trailer. It's 3" x 1.5" x 1/4" c-channel , so that should give me enough strength to support the nose. :D

I know the traditional design relies upon the walls, but this design does need some extra support, as it goes from 60" to 48", so 6" in on each side. :worship:

Once I get some details worked up on my sketchup file, I'll post more views for feedback.

Thanks for looking!
Alan_H
Lifetime member

Postby Alan_H » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:42 pm

I have added some detail to my sketchup design.

I drew in the bracing that will remain for the trailer tongue tilt and incorporated the front bulkhead bracing that will rest on this to hold support the narrowed mod-nose of the trailer.

This view shows how the front Bulkhead will tie into the wall framing (white area), the grey area is the angled nose from my generic profile so I could keep perspective when pulling out for the framing.

Here is a view of the flat wall framing, and more outlining vor the rear bulkhead. This is a stick-frame design, as that will be quicker, even with the miter cuts, than a skeleton plywood wall, and make insulating easier. I have a 1X6 header, and a couple 1X4's to provide vertical strength, as I plan to incorporate support for a roof rack for a possible Rooftop Tent for the kids...(That's what I'm telling the wife anyhow.. :D This thing will be getting used as a light-mobile hunting camp for me, and the tent will be perfect as a blind to be in during inclement weather :twisted: ).

I also decided to lower the overall height of the floor by 2" to provide some more interior room, and lower the doors accordingly, I also stopped the raised floor at the rear bulkhead to not complicate the galley area. Unfortunately, I thought of this when I finished version 1 of the wall framing, so I wiped that out and what you see above is version 2 of my wall framing. To still have the one storage area in the floor that I need for my Pelican Rifle case, I'll be doing 1 drop section in the floor over the axle, and the remaining areas of the floor will be shallow storage for clothing, blankets, etc. Here is the drop section from the bottom..
Alan_H
Lifetime member

Postby Alan_H » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:45 pm

I also meant to mention that in the framing, you see the spars and then cork color between them. I'm doing the inside-out style, resting the ceiling on the wall frame, then spars and bracing between those.
Alan_H
Lifetime member

Postby Alan_H » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:58 pm

Well then.... new update... I've been going round and round on some design features, first with a 6" floor storage, then just a drop for the rifle case, then none... finally settled on gotta have it, and make it the height of my frame protuberance in the front that accommodates the tilt-trailer feature on my existing trailer.

Additionally, due to the tilt, not an A-frame tongue, and the low tongue-weight rating of my TV, I can't have a tongue box.

As such, the front portion of the "basement" will be that type of storage, such as battery, blocking, straps, dirty gear, etc.
The middle will be for steps for ingress-egress, camp chairs, awnings, side-tents, e-z-up tent, gear duffels, etc.

These 2 compartments will be access from the exterior with locking doors. (not in drawing)

The third section will access from the interior, and be for clothing, etc. that doesn't store in the bulkhead cabinets.

Additionally, the HVAC supply will pipe through the basement to the front, and the return will be in the rear of the cabin. I will have a roof-vent, and a start-gazer window, I just didn't put them in this design, as I spent too much time in 2.1,2.1, 2.2, 3.0,3.1,3.2 versions adding these, to then start over... lol

There is a swing-out section to the galley, that allows additional storage as well. and you can see the HVAC unit enclosure under the counter-top on the left side as well.

Now, pics...
Alan_H
Lifetime member

Return to Sketch up designs