Ultragauge, Scangauge

All about towing and tow vehicles

Ultragauge, Scangauge

Postby MtnDon » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:06 am

Anyone here have an UltraGauge or a ScanGauge? Comments on what you have? Likes? Dislikes?
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: Ultragauge, Scangauge

Postby tony.latham » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:27 pm

I've got a Scangauge and really like it. It's good to know how many miles I can go with what's left in the tank. I like having a real engine temp gauge when I'm pulling a hill and its 100f.

I'll probably move it to a new Tacoma in the next year or two.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:14 pm

We have the Ultraguage. I got it primarily because it would tell me what the actual engine temperature is and on our trip out West a few years ago it told me when we needed to shut off the AC on a long climb. I will also read engine codes and we had a problem with an O2 sensor (not a real problem) that kept the CEL light lit.
Realistically it has made a difference in how I drive, being able to check MPG as you are driving will do that.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby CCrew » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:23 pm

I have the OBDLink MX Bluetooth and have the supporting software on both a Samsung Tab S tablet and a Samsung Note 4. They make a Wi-Fi version that works with iphone I believe. Software on Android I use Torque or Dash Command

More info than you can possibly want and 100% customizable.
CCrew
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pchast » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:20 pm

I just got a Scangauge 2 and love all the extra info I can find... Wish I could get tranny temp but its unreachable
on the Frontier. I'm using the info to learn how to increase gas mileage.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:38 pm

CCrew wrote:I have the OBDLink MX Bluetooth and have the supporting software on both a Samsung Tab S tablet and a Samsung Note 4. They make a Wi-Fi version that works with iphone I believe. Software on Android I use Torque or Dash Command

More info than you can possibly want and 100% customizable.

X2. I wanted to monitor tranny temps and the Tacoma has the stock sensors to do it. Just plug in the OBDLink and link it to your phone. Fire up the Android Torque APP and you're in business. No messy wiring to deal with.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:08 pm

That sounds like an idea.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby working on it » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:52 pm

I've been using my smartphone, a 2012 model Samsung Rugby Pro, the Torque Pro android app (on Google play store), and the BAFX Products- PIC18F2480 Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-PIC ... B005NLQAHS, since October 2013, to diagnose and monitor my vehicles. I got my smartphone specifically to use the app (I still have my old school flip phone, a Rugby II, and will save it for emergency/spare usage, forever), and the bluetooth plugin is still working fine, even after loaning it out several times. I even bought a larger screened tablet, so I could see it better while driving (no texting! involved). The BAFX is still listed under $25, the app is still available for $5, and has been quite useful for me and a few friends (for such a small expenditure).
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby gudmund » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:39 pm

LOVE my Scangauge II - can use it on any vehicle, which I do. Love water temp when towing and MPG (trans temp would have been nice also, but being it stays close to water temp being it is routed thru the radiator after the after market cooler - if there is an overheat, I can see it as it happens) Once the gas mileage is set, I find it very accurate for mileage driven between refills. What is shocking is the transfer from my daily driver to my tow vehicle in MPG!!!! - daily driver 42 to 46 MPG and than ++some ++ depending on the my route home (01 Suzuki Swift), tow vehicle 17 to 22 MPG no matter towing or empty when "Wondering Aimlessly" (07 Chev Colorado 5cyl) Just buy a extra power cord and leave one in each vehicle so the only need is to move the gauge itself between vehicles. Hard to live without it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gudmund
500 Club

Postby DrewsBrews » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:57 am

I have a ScanGauge II, a friend has an Ultragauge. I believe the ultragauge is cheaper, has a more "high tech look" to it and may be more accurate on it's MPG calculation. The scangauge II might be a little more powerful with the x-gauge options, though in my current car I find the MPG calculation isn't all that accurate. You can adjust it, but I'd find myself adjusting it every time comparing to my own calculations from one tank to the next. I could never really find the sweet spot. It does work well as a driver aid to tell you when you are driving more/less efficiently, just don't be fixated on the exact numbers. I like the low profile size and simple, uncluttered gauge readout of the scangauge.
DrewsBrews
Donating Member

Postby crumvoc » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:04 pm

I recently picked up a ScanGauge II from Amazon, mostly to be able to monitor engine coolant and transmission fluid temps in real time on my 2008 Expedition. Had to figure out an "X gauge" for the transmission fluid temp, not too difficult. Very reassuring to know what is really happening... didn't disclose any problems either. The factory dash gauges are useless, programmed to stay put so as not frighten the driver and not to actually give any useful information... until it is too late. I have it set up to show Engine coolant temp, transmission fluid temp, Voltage and digital speed. I wish there was a way to have it show engine oil pressure, but there isn't... Still, well worth the price for peace of mind.
Living in the high-desert.
crumvoc
Teardrop Master

Postby gudmund » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:35 am

still lov'in my Scan-gauge - in fact I now have two of them - one in each vehicle!! :thumbsup:
gudmund
500 Club

Postby lfhoward » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:57 am

I have a Scangauge II in my 08 Jeep Liberty. I love it. The 4 gauges I display simultaneously are average mpg, instant mpg, radiator temp, and transmission temp. The tranny setting was a custom X-gauge setting, but the interwebs know all things, lol. I also like how I can toggle to other settings easily, like battery voltage. I used my Scangauge last week to diagnose a check engine code, which turned out to be a dead oxygen sensor. Easy fix without having to take a special trip to the mechanic.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Bill n Robi » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:09 pm

scanguage is easier to do custom programs, I have mine programmed to show the pan temp of the transmission (output of the cooler) and the temp of the converter output - towing uphill I had plenty of power but the temp rose so I slowed down, probably saved my pocket book.
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:53 pm

Never even heard of these things.......got a GOOD education reading this thread. Thanks! :D
P.S. Hi Bill & Robi !! :shake hands:
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Next

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles