Utah Bound

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Re: Utah Bound

Postby KCStudly » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:50 pm

Looks like you are having a great trip. :thumbsup:

Nice pics; keep 'em coming! :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby rockinrobin » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:51 pm

Spent all day today at Arches National Park. The strategy was the wait until all the three day weekenders went home. Arches is one of the most popular parks, and the traffic can be a nightmare on holiday weekends. They close the park when it is saturated. Worked out good, there was parking places to be had at all the main attractions, and trail heads.
Delicate Arch. The most popular attraction in the park. Three mile round trip hike. You have to hike to most of the Arches as they are not visible from the roads. I did eight miles today. Up and down. The altitude is 5000' feet. I trained at 3400 feet on flat ground. I had all I wanted today! Hard on an old fart! :FNP

This one should be called Delicate Arch! Give you ten bucks to go stand on it! In 1991 a piece fell off!
Leaving Moab in the morning. Been very interesting for a flatlander! I have a reservation at Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park tomorrow night. About 175 miles. Probably will not have internet there. If I like it there, will extend another night there.135713
" It's all good"
rockinrobin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:15 pm

You're having a great trip! Keep those awesome pictures coming! :thumbsup:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby rockinrobin » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:20 pm

Spent an afternoon and night at Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. Took about five hours to do all the hikes to the lookouts, and go thru the visitor center. Nice campground with electric in loop B if you want it. 135910
The Gunnison River took two million years to carve the canyon to 2300 feet deep at the deepest point! It is currently carving at 1 inch per 100 years. Dams upstream have slowed the erosion process. Makes you realize what a very small spec of time we are here! 135911135909135912
Drove down Hiway 149 thru Wolf Creek Pass, almost 11,000 feet. Lots of mountain driving and awesome scenery on that drive. Stopped for the night at Rio Chama RV Park. Some of you may remember this park from a vintage trailer gathering here two years ago. It feels so good and relaxing being here, I am staying for another night. The Cumbres and Toltec narrow gauge railroad goes right behind the campground. You can lay pennies on the track, and take very close up pictures. I rode the train two years ago with a very close friend. It is very worth while trip. Takes all day. They feed you a very nice lunch, at the half way point. 135913
" It's all good"
rockinrobin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:07 am

:thumbsup:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby rockinrobin » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:37 am

Back home. Headed off to work this morning. It was a good trip. Maybe I can pull off a couple of days off next month for LCG! Some numbers from the trip. 2082 miles. 303.27 spent on gas. 18.1 MPG avg. lowest gas price 1.95, highest 3.00. 6 different campgrounds in 10 nights on the road. 3 National Parks, and one National Monument ( I do not know what the difference is, maybe someone can tell me). Ronnie
" It's all good"
rockinrobin
Titanium Donating Member

Previous

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales