Painting over spar urethane

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Painting over spar urethane

Postby rmcelroy » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:15 am

Boy I'm really in mental meldown over the final finish of my TD. I have been planning on using Al, but now have a couple of issues (cold feet) about it. So now I'm considering painting, I spent most of the day Friday going to various paint specialty shops-not your run of the mill Sher/Will or Home Depot. It now appears I have messed up by applying a coat of spar urethane. I was told by one shop I could scuff it up and use an oil base primer and top coat-then another told me to use a heavy acrylic lacquer to cover the grain.........geeeezz I wished I knew what I was doing.

I guess my real question is-can I use what most people here have used on top of the coat of urethane? If so its off to the archives to read read read.

The good news is I solved getting the Petcool a/c ported into and out of the TD in an acceptable manner-I'll post on it later with pics-but right now the whole finish thing has go me in a head lock. ;)

Thanks
Mc
Wheather you think you can or you think you can't, your right.

Henry Ford
rmcelroy
Teardrop Master

Postby Ira » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:35 am

How does it look with the one coat of spar? The easiest way is to just take it to the next level and lightly sand, and apply more coats of spar!

Of course, you may have trim issues with now turning it into a woody, but I guess that's gonna be the same even if you paint.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby rmcelroy » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:50 am

Ira

I really wouldn't have a problem making it a woody-unfortunatley when I was going to use Al I placed the good side of the plywood on the inside-it sure looks good to, plus I used bondo to fill the screw divits. I can't see the knots and bondo working to well..... On the other hand maybe some fairly dark colored poly would not be so bad.

Thanks I'll keep it in mind.
Mc

Henry Ford
rmcelroy
Teardrop Master

Postby toypusher » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:06 am

I really don't know, but maybe you could use one of the epoxy paints that is out there! Might be worth a check.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Ira » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:12 am

Maybe Rot Doctor's Uniflex would hold over that real easy. It's not cheap, but PM TomS about it. He used it on his.

Main thing is, I don't know how forgiving it is over those little depressions and such, whether your surface has to be REALLY smooth. I don't think so though.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby madjack » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:19 am

...look into Uniflex, Armorpoxy or EZpoxy...also most manufacturers of urethane, make a marine urethane paint in various colors...depending on your required level of finish is what will drive you to smooth out any imperfections in your wood...they will show quicker with paint...
madjack 8)
Last edited by madjack on Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby rmcelroy » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:27 am

Kerry

I've looked at this http://store.nationalpaintsupply.net/epsh1paepco.html before. Tough durable, leveling blah blah blah.

Thanks Ira and MJ I'll check those products as well.

Mc

Henry Ford
rmcelroy
Teardrop Master

Postby rmcelroy » Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:04 pm

OK, so from what I've learned today-it sounds like I'm in murky water at best. I went to a Boat design forum and asked the same question and got zero response, and have read numerous "paint expert" pages with no luck. So my next move is to see if the hardware store can tint what I have to make what I want......man I love it when my brains finally just oooz out like jello.

Mc

Henry Ford
rmcelroy
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:47 pm

rmcelroy wrote:.....man I love it when my brains finally just oooz out like jello.

Mc

Mc, now ya know what they invented spoons for... :D ;) .................................... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Steve_Cox » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:07 pm

Dear McJelloBrain :lol: :lol:

Don't feel too bad, at one time or another we've all come to a crossroad in our teardrop build. How about doing some test samples of plywood coated with the poly, scuff them a bit with some 220 grit and try some paint? I do my own R & D all the time. Now isn't the time to get in a hurry, you can do this. :thumbsup:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby MarksMG » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:19 pm

You still have the option to go with aluminum. I was regretting it on mine but when I got started it was only 4 or 5 hours with some help and the pain was over. Looking back now it was probibley the quickesst and not too difficult.
"Can we build it? Yes we can!" Bob The Builder
MarksMG
Teardrop Master

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:06 pm

Mc Jello
I'm gonna ask the dumb question of the year. Is there a reason the poly can't be removed and an epoxy primer put on???? :QM

Hope it helps. :?
Miriam
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby rmcelroy » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:57 am

I guess I'm not really at a point of no return-I could remove the spar and start over. I just thought I would find a way. I had two issues with putting on Al, one was my uncoventional upside down Al frame and the other was refinding the screw holes on the hatch when I get it covered.

So I went down to the basement to eat my Jello, and stare at the evil twin that used to be my fun fun project. As I sat there I managed to resolve both of those issues (I sat there for awhile). I'll place a drip rail down the top edge of the frame and then trim it with the double edge hatch trim, and I'll do some things that involve sawdust and water proof glue that I can't describe over the internet for the hatch problem. Presto the evil twin is now gone.

My family has an over under on my paint vs Al demetia, right now its 72.

If we make a run to Unicoi this fall put me down for shooters

Thanks
McJellobrain

Henry Ford
rmcelroy
Teardrop Master

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques