fresh and gray water

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

fresh and gray water

Postby BrwBier » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:41 pm

How can I adapt the valve shown to 11/2" pvc to drain my gray water.
Image I'm off to Menards to get a few more parts for the water system but I cant figure out how to connect the drain valve. Any ideas? Anyone?
Thanks
Brwbier
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Leon » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:02 pm

There should be a piece that has a flange that bolts to the valve. Since it is ABS, you need a glue that will bond PVC to the ABS. they carry it at places like Home Depot. The adapter should be available at any RV supply store. Since that is grey water, you could use a PVC ball valve that might take up less room than the gate valve.......
Leon
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ira » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:36 pm

You're going that wide? An inch and a half?

Where are you feeding the grey water to--a holding tank, or to the ground?

My sink drain is 1 1/2", and there's an attached 18" or so flexible PVC hose that I can bend to the side that's also 1 1/2".

But I'm going to bring it down to 3/4", standard garden hose size. That'll more than handle my wtare output.

So the exterior of the TD has a 3/4" receiver that I can attach a hose to and run to a tank or on the ground away from the TD.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby madjack » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:55 am

...personally I would sh** can that gate valve and get a ball valve to replace it with...that PVC piping sure looks like a familiar configuration :D ;)
madjack 8)
p.s. as someone else said, there should be a flange that bolts to the valve...check with plumbing supply houses, RV places and places that sell hot tub repair parts...
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:17 am

You don't need to regulate flow, you just need Open or Close. A ball valve would serve the same purpose as the gate valve.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby 48Rob » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:14 am

I have a similar configuration of "plumbing" used as a grey water holding tank.
I'm using a 1/4 turn 1" ball valve, with the output end reduced to 3/4'".
The 1" outlet dumped it too fast, but now with a garden hose hooked up, the flow is just right, and I can "water" some of the trees just slightly away from my camp site... ;)

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby BrwBier » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:16 pm

I figured it out at last. Image
I cut a 4" piece of PVC and then flattened it in a vice with some heat from a torch. Then I took it in the house and when no one was looking I heated it in the toaster oven, until someone asked what the he** I thought I was doing. When I said I was making teardrop parts she offered to drop my parts, so I took it outside to finish. A little solvent welding and a little epoxy and I have a perfect dump valve. All I need to do now is adapt the output side to a smaller hose.
Brwbier
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby madjack » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:36 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: ...I'll say it again...there be some ingenious folks around here...glad you got it worked out...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion