Fuel Canisters for Coleman 5409 picnic stove??

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Re: Fuel Canisters for Coleman 5409 picnic stove??

Postby ukewarrior » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:28 am

ukewarrior
Donating Member

Postby skinnedknuckles » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:14 pm

I just picked up a single and a double burner picnic stove. The single burner still had a can attached that was about half full, it still lit but I didn't think that the flame was decent. I can see why the cans were discontinued, does not take too much to make them leak just under the burner where the can seals. I am goin to take off the can fitting and machine one out of brass re-soldier the small tube back on and make it so I can use a separate hose and an adjustable regulator to see if I can get the air/fuel ratio right and maybe it will work, that is the plan anyway. I think these little stoves are cool and very retro looking but I want it to be safe.
Paul
skinnedknuckles
Teardrop Master

Postby DrewsBrews » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:07 am

Can the burners be disassembled? Since reports don't seem very favorable with regards to conversion to standard propane tanks it makes me wonder if there is a difference in orifice size. Difficulty getting hot enough could indicate too large of an orifice causing an overly rich burn. Might make sense if the original cans operated under a lower pressure than current tanks.
DrewsBrews
Donating Member

Postby skinnedknuckles » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:45 am

That's what I was thinking , that something in the either the air inlet or the orifice size was causing the problem. When I take mine apart I am going to look into that
skinnedknuckles
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment